• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

The Hamil End

For years we haven't been a club that has a proper end. Most of our noisier fans have gravitated towards the Railway side of the ground.

If something can change that, then I think it would make a massive difference to us. For a mass migration to happen I think it would probably involve the Railway Stand being developed or condemned which would force people to find a new home behind one of the goals.

• Like 1

Advert:

12 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Maybe,apart from Bycars Ender complaints,the police have intervened PA and of course Dimensions.At this time the Synectics carpark seems the only reasonable solution for away coaches if there is to be a switch.It accommodated 50+ when we went to Wemberlee.I suppose some people have already bought STs for the Bycars aswell.

I said that about STs already being bought.

It's good to have a discussion that people are debating about which end should house the home fans but it won't be an overnight fix. I think it's something that can be looked at during the season and next pre season...I just feel it's too soon to make huge changes to the ground plus it would be extra finance spent on off-field duties.

No one anticipated the success of the Hamil End. I sit in the Bycars but would move to the Hamil, especially if there are a large contingent of home fans...it creates a great atmosphere. 

We need to win half of our home games at least and half a dozen away to get to 50 points and ensure staying up. I really think giving Clarke a 5 year contract shows the owners are looking toward stability and further progress and it won't happen overnight

I think it was probably a bit late to change for this season given that season tickets have already been sold for the Bycars.

If I was Carol, I'd be making the call now for 23/24 season. Fans who disagree have got a season to get over themselves and everyone can enjoy the Hamil from then on.

• Like 4

Just email anyone that's bought an ST in the bycars saying you're being shifted to the hamil. If you don't like it have a refund. Done.

We should have the hamil. The bycars is a tragic. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

Many people from other areas of the ground would move in a heartbeat to the hamil. It would give us a end and make the overall atmosphere at VP much better.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I can get why people don't want to move. Families have probably sat there for 70 years and there will be memories of departed ones. They've probably already bought their STs on the basis of it being in the Hamil.

I do think we're over-egging the potential for a home Hamil End to generate an atmosphere. Swindon was, as many have attested, the best night at VP for 20 years. The Hamil had a part to play in that but I imagine the atmosphere will be pretty similar to usual for standard home games, regardless of where the fans are sitting. People moved for that night as they could buy one-off tickets. Will that many move permanently from the Railway and Lorne Street? 

The motivation for moving to the Hamil should be a) providing better facilities for home fans and b) utilising the space around the club shop + Tommy's as a large fan-zone. 

We're probably going to get kicked out the Railway in 1-2 years as serious work needs doing. Maybe it'll happen then.

Fully in favour of a switch, though. Hope it happens down the line. Maybe a slightly discounted ST for ex-Bycars? Voucher for the club shop? Meet the players?

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

Advert:

Fans do get attached to their seats.  Small communities develop.   If forced to move, I wouldn’t choose the Hamil.  I moved from the Railway to Bycars when it was redeveloped and sat there ever since.  Got to know a lot of people just from sitting together.  If forced to choose, I’d move back to the Railway as I’ve many friends in there who would also stay put.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think that mates can agree to sit in the same area in the Hamil, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Football is a daft, sentimental affair and people gain attachments to the place they sit in football grounds. It's probably something they've done since they were a kid and they will have memories of grandparents and parents doing the same. 

I'm fully for the move. I just can sort of get why people don't want to move (though I would do so myself).

Edited by Joe B

I'm hoping and praying that the manager who've we've just given a 5-year contract to is demanding we switch. 

Home fans in the Hamil would've been worth 6-10 points next season. I truly believe that. Oh well, didn't fancy a top half finish anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

I'm hoping and praying that the manager who've we've just given a 5-year contract to is demanding we switch. 

Home fans in the Hamil would've been worth 0-69 points next season. I truly believe that. Oh well, didn't fancy a top half finish anyway.

Corrected that for you. 👍🏻

Advert:

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not sure about this, what are you comparing it too?  We had some great games, what about Orient?

Lose a few on the bounce and on a cold Tuesday in Jan it won’t matter what end we use.

The atmosphere v Orient 100% would not have been generated by the Bycars. It would have sounded ok in the Railway, but would have been so much better in the Hamil, no doubt about that.

The cold Jan scenario, I still think the atmosphere would be better in the Hamil, but it most certainly wouldn't be worse. I think the misconception is that only the 400 or so Bycars stalwarts would go in there. It would attract people from the Railway too that go in there because its the only area of the ground that generates any kind of atmosphere at the moment.

• Like 1

Cool, GR.

I was under the misguided impression that this was a new, forward-thinking era at VP. It certainly seems that way for the corporate set in the ultra-modern LS. For us plebs, it's back to the 1950's in the Railway listening to 200 away fans roar their side onto victory whilst we stand their helpless. Oh well, at least the 250 ST holders in the Bycars can smile.

• Like 4

Sounds like an off the cuff comment in the ticket office. The club hasn't even suggested a switch yet so why would people complain. And secondly Bycars season ticket holders haven't been asked their opinion, so how could they possibly gauge reluctance or support.
I believe its something they will trail this season on certain games, maybe cup games, where season tickets aren't an issue.
Car parking on synectics rather than dimensions, easier access for away fans to the bycars, and the money raised would be the clubs not our neighbouring leisure centres.
Definitely think its going to happen sooner rather than later.

One thing I'm struggling to grasp is why hospitality keeps getting major investment when other areas of the stadium are clearly falling apart, to the extent where home capacity has almost halved and we're likely to have to temporarily move out of the Railway in the next 1-2 seasons.

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

One thing I'm struggling to grasp is why hospitality keeps getting major investment when other areas of the stadium are clearly falling apart, to the extent where home capacity has almost halved and we're likely to have to temporarily move out of the Railway in the next 1-2 seasons.

Maybe they feel that if they get the hospitality right the additional income will allow them to offset the cost of improving the other areas of the ground. The Lorne Street isn't at full capacity every match which shows that whilst people would probably prefer improved facilities in other areas they are happy to sit elsewhere. 

Advert:

7 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I underestimated the views of ppl saying that they would move into the Hamil End. Perhaps the club should have a number of trial games, to monitor the popularity. Could be that there would be a major cost implication to put away fans into the Bycars, with extra stewards. Where would you park the away coaches.? At the moment the segregation of fans on leaving the ground works well with the minimum cost and effort. This is what will be used to make the decision. 

Mate away fans leaving from the Hamil does not work well there have been loads of trouble when both sets of fans go the same way most recently the Oldham game 

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Serious?