• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

The Hamil End

Advert:

Vale Park is a large ground with restricted access to the Bycars stand which is neither on a main road nor having a wide open area to congregate pre match. Use of the Bycars stand for the away fans means they must interact with home fans in confined areas. The Hamel Road stand is much better suited for the away fans to enter with buses parking immediately outside. And yes violence does happen; unconscious beaten up Swindon supporter found by me outside Lorne Street last home game for example. That 100% would not have happened if the Hamel Road end was in use as the away end. 

33 minutes ago, Warren said:

Vale Park is a large ground with restricted access to the Bycars stand which is neither on a main road nor having a wide open area to congregate pre match. Use of the Bycars stand for the away fans means they must interact with home fans in confined areas. The Hamel Road stand is much better suited for the away fans to enter with buses parking immediately outside. And yes violence does happen; unconscious beaten up Swindon supporter found by me outside Lorne Street last home game for example. That 100% would not have happened if the Hamel Road end was in use as the away end. 

Wow, that's quite an assumption,  especially on the point about the Swindon fan. How on earth can that be blamed on the stand away supporters were in? Where were away fan coaches parked? The argument for away fans in the Hamil is partly because of where coaches park. This Swindon fan you refer to wouldn't have been on a coach, so would have been on Hamil Road amongst thousands of Vale fans. With the emotions of the night and the hostility between the two sets of supporters following the almost 2 weeks of tensions building, Hamil Road would have been a war zone if their fans were in that end. Transfer your Swindon fan to Hamil Road and times it by many many more.

Did you see how the Swindon fan was hurt by the way? 

Away fans in the Bycars is perfect from a security point of view. No need for Vale fans to interact with away fans that end of the ground. Vale fans can head straight off down Hamil Road and away from the ground in all directions.

I'm sure a review will have been carried out by the police and the club. Can't see how the conclusion would be anything but a great success. Take away the pitch invasion, which is a very rare event, the night was a largely peaceful one with very little interaction between both sets of supporters.

• Like 3

Whilst I've always thought that the Hamil makes sense because it's self contained, it is also right in the forefront of the action outside the ground.

The Bycars, by contrast, is out of the way, so it should be easier to maintain segregation.

• Like 1

Whilst I've always thought that the Hamil makes sense because it's self contained, it is also right in the forefront of the action outside the ground.
The Bycars, by contrast, is out of the way, so it should be easier to maintain segregation.
The only way is a seasons trial, there will be more away fans this season, with a few big gates such as Barnsley, Bolton, etc to test segregation.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

Advert:

Posted (edited)

Are we the only club in the country that seem to obsess about away fans and access to their stand?  Every other away ground we visit has no such restrictions on dumping away fans directly at the door and segregation. It’s absolutely fine for us to house away fans wherever we see fit. We’re not <ovf censored> Galatasaray!

Edited by Bede
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bede said:

Are we the only club in the country that seem to obsess about away fans and access to their stand?  Every other away ground we visit has no such restrictions on dumping away fans directly at the door and segregation. It’s absolutely fine for us to house away fans wherever we see fit. We’re not <ovf censored> Galatasaray!

It’s historic.  We’ve had problems all down the years I’ve attended.  Fans used to run down to the town centre after games to wait for the away coaches to come through, until the authorities had the bright idea to vary the route up to High Lane.  It doesn’t matter which stand away fans are given there will always be those among the home support that want confrontation, especially in the “bigger” games.

No idea where the Swindon buses parked but I’d guess you’d have to employ more security/police if using the Bycars for a big game, simply to get the away fans into that stand from the coaches.  Naturally the gate receipts from some of the away followings next season should be ample to cover this.

I thought it worked fine for Swindon. I park on High Lane, so in order to get on the A500 (SB) without going through Burslem, cut through Stanfields and through Tunstall. I saw lots of Swindon fans coming down Scotia Road who had obviously parked on the supermarket car parks. You’ve got to think this was preferable to having loads of them marching around Burslem??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Powerline said:

Only problem is Bycars doesn’t sell alcohol, which would be a fairly significant revenue loss for a club our size for big away attendances.

We could easily sort that, and should do whatever the outcome of the idea to swap ends.  The bigger issue is that the facilities in the Bycars cannot feasibly serve a decent crowd in there.  The capacity of both toilets and catering would need improving drastically.  The second tea bar should be opened as a bare minimum and that may not be enough for a full stand.  We will lose a wedge simply because fans give up waiting for food and drink simply due to huge queues and just keep their money in their pockets.  It’s already happened in these last few home games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I thought it worked fine for Swindon. I park on High Lane, so in order to get on the A500 (SB) without going through Burslem, cut through Stanfields and through Tunstall. I saw lots of Swindon fans coming down Scotia Road who had obviously parked on the supermarket car parks. You’ve got to think this was preferable to having loads of them marching around Burslem??

I think the car parks will be a different matter on a Saturday afternoon.  It’s the coaches that are the real issue.  Will Dimensions allow them on there maybe?

Advert:

Posted (edited)

If fans are to be housed in the Bycars, couldn't the away coaches be parked in the secitoned area of the Synectics Solutions car park and away fans given access to the larger car park.  A couple of gates could be installed to allow them access to the 'lane' that runs along the back of the railway and if required a gate could be added to restrict access to the away end too at certain times.

As mentioned previously if away fans are put in there we'd need to add some sore of bar area, I guess that it would have to be al fresco but it been like that in the Paddock for all time.

I see that there has been some additional hardcore laid down behind the Bycars too courtesy of Robbie so that has been improved too.

Edited by NellyTheValiant

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think the car parks will be a different matter on a Saturday afternoon.  It’s the coaches that are the real issue.  Will Dimensions allow them on there maybe?

Didn't the coaches park on there for the Swindon game?

We had 10-15 min walk to ours for the away game, they parked us on a college car park that wasn't signposted at all ended up walking 1 way going and another back.  I just followed the wet and miserable crowd to find me way back.

2 minutes ago, NellyTheValiant said:

If fans are to be housed in the Bycars, couldn't the away coaches be parked in the secitoned area of the Synectics Solutions car park and away fans given access to the larger car park.  A couple of gates could be installed to allow them access to the 'lane' that runs along the back of the railway and if required a gate could be added to restrict access to the away end too at certain times.

As mentioned previously if away fans are put in there we'd need to add some sore of bar area, I guess that it would have to be al fresco but it been like that in the Paddock for all time.

I see that there has been some additional hardcore laid down behind the Bycars too courtesy of Robbie so that has been improved too.

Good call.  That’s maybe what we’d do.

All sorts of stadium work gone on around the Robbie gig, some of which will hopefully be of benefit to the club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warren said:

Disagree, park the coaches at the back of Sinetics car park and direct away fans through that car park rather than all the way along Hamil. Yes, a bar needs to be constructed but the cost shouldn’t be ridiculous. If worked properly it can segregate fans better along Hamil road where most trouble happens 

19 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s historic.  We’ve had problems all down the years I’ve attended.  Fans used to run down to the town centre after games to wait for the away coaches to come through, until the authorities had the bright idea to vary the route up to High Lane.  It doesn’t matter which stand away fans are given there will always be those among the home support that want confrontation, especially in the “bigger” games.

No idea where the Swindon buses parked but I’d guess you’d have to employ more security/police if using the Bycars for a big game, simply to get the away fans into that stand from the coaches.  Naturally the gate receipts from some of the away followings next season should be ample to cover this.

Swindle parked on Dimensions.

Bring coaches up the A34,off at Longport and take them to Dimensions up Scotia Road. No need for em to be anywhere near Boslem. 

Alternatively,bring em via Sandyford off the A34,through Tustall and down Scotia Road.

I know Swindle was a one off but if the manager and fans approve,stick the away fans in the Bycars and let the home fans enjoy the facilities 23 games a season.

Advert:

Just now, NellyTheValiant said:

Didn't the coaches park on there for the Swindon game?

We had 10-15 min walk to ours for the away game, they parked us on a college car park that wasn't signposted at all ended up walking 1 way going and another back.  I just followed the wet and miserable crowd to find me way back.

No idea.  I know some cars were parked on Haywood School car park and we walked along Dolly’s Lane mixed with some Swindon fans.  For some reason there weren’t any Swindon fans on the car park when we left……

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Swindle parked on Dimensions.

Bring coaches up the A34,off at Longport and take them to Dimensions up Scotia Road. No need for em to be anywhere near Boslem. 

Alternatively,bring em via Sandyford off the A34,through Tustall and down Scotia Road.

I know Swindle was a one off but if the manager and fans approve,stick the away fans in the Bycars and let the home fans enjoy the facilities 23 games a season.

Someone else has proposed Synectics car park which you’d have to think would be far easier, and cheaper, to implement.

Most teams give the away fans poor sections. Take a look at the teams who wen up with us…..FGR, only uncovered section. Exeter, Not bad away end but still the poorest stand in the ground. Plus, look what Swindon give us, even when they give the normal away end it’s naff. 

I can’t think of one club (except us) who give the best stand to away fans.

• Like 1