onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Hamil End

STUNG

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

One thing I'm struggling to grasp is why hospitality keeps getting major investment when other areas of the stadium are clearly falling apart, to the extent where home capacity has almost halved and we're likely to have to temporarily move out of the Railway in the next 1-2 seasons.

I would presume it's demand. We've filled the stadium a handful of times in the last few decades so (leaving aside the last few weeks of the season) the demand isn't generally there.  

However, if there are companies wanting to use hospitality at VP and can't because the club doesn't have enough facilities it makes sense to prioritise that especially (as Fosse says) because there's non matchday income streams there too.

Having said all that - before the hospitality work the club did add 2,500 new seats - the ones in the Lorne Street!

I do keep saying that I do think it's time to put the LS concourse fundraiser as top priority for fans/the Supporters Club from now. That's an easy way to add an additional 2,500 brand new seats once the money for the concourse has been raised.

Advert

3 hours ago, MBE said:

Agree with that.Hospitality is were the monies at to generate income.I would be very surprised if we don't change the Railway Stand into boxes to generate more income. Its what I would do. 

I sit in the Lorne Street only to feel closer to the action but I've a had season ticket in the Bycars, Railway Paddock and Stand in previous seasons so I'm not precious about seating. My view is a business one only which is probably different than most.

It wouldn’t be just a case of putting boxes in the Railway, you need the infrastructure to go with it, like kitchens and bars.

couldnt  traipse food and drink over from the Lorne st.

4 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

Cool, GR.

I was under the misguided impression that this was a new, forward-thinking era at VP. It certainly seems that way for the corporate set in the ultra-modern LS. For us plebs, it's back to the 1950's in the Railway listening to 200 away fans roar their side onto victory whilst we stand their helpless. Oh well, at least the 250 ST holders in the Bycars can smile.

Chin up.  If it helps I don’t think you’re misguided. 👍🏻

Also, you don’t have to meekly listen to 200 away fans.  I think the norm is to try and respond in greater volume.  At least that’s how it always was.  If not, console yourself that we may be winning and those 200 fans will barely whimper.

As one of the 250 (you’ve no doubt counted) ST holders I can assure you I’ll be smiling whichever stand I sit in if the team is doing well.

22 minutes ago, Conrad said:

It wouldn’t be just a case of putting boxes in the Railway, you need the infrastructure to go with it, like kitchens and bars.

couldnt  traipse food and drink over from the Lorne st.

Why not think even bigger, start from scratch, flatten the Railway side of the ground (taking away the mound it sits on), then build a stand that is a mirror of the Lorne street but bigger/taller with seats up to a deck of boxes or even a double deck of boxes running the full length of the pitch then a tier of seats above.  Employ a smart design-build programme that allows occupancy while construction continues (unlike the Lorne Street) in line with our 5 year plan (the one that comes after the current one) and successes on the pitch as we move up the leagues.

To paraphrase ‘We all live in the gutter but some of us look up at the stars’

UTV

Cool, GR.
I was under the misguided impression that this was a new, forward-thinking era at VP. It certainly seems that way for the corporate set in the ultra-modern LS. For us plebs, it's back to the 1950's in the Railway listening to 200 away fans roar their side onto victory whilst we stand their helpless. Oh well, at least the 250 ST holders in the Bycars can smile.
In the 50s part of the Bycar end of the Railway stand and Paddock were fenced off for away fans, but larger clubs tended to stand in any other part of the ground, and thus roars came from anywhere.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

4 hours ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Mate away fans leaving from the Hamil does not work well there have been loads of trouble when both sets of fans go the same way most recently the Oldham game 

PV that is disappointing, but not surprising really especially when we got the increased attendances with our last three home games.I’m normally straight off and up the Hamil on the final whistle. So I don’t see the aftermath.

How about keeping everyone (well home fans at least) happy and have home fans in both the Hamil and Bycars?  Could away fans then be housed in the family stand between the Bycars and Railway for most fixtures and then open up half the Bycars for away and keep the other half for homies for ‘bigger fixtures.  Smallsall seemed able to open sections of their side stand - we got a couple of blocks with their fans getting the rest whilst Swindle got the whole stand (because they have the biggest away following in the league 😉).

8 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

In the mid eighties didn’t away fans sit in the the Bycars end of the Railway Stand? Or are my memories of both Wigan and Millwall fans sitting in there just a sign of my fading recollections in old age?

Yes that only stopped at the end of the 94/95 season when seats went in the Hamil End. Southampton only had that section of seats when we had the Hamil End in 94.

One of my first memories was Bolton trashing it and throwing seats over at us late 80s after Walker scored a 90th minute winner.

Seems hard to imagine now, but Stoke were in there up until that point too. Can't remember any mither despite queuing outside so close to them. I remember a game v Newcastle United, think it was 90/91, Steve Bruce was queuing to get in those seats with his son. The Family Stand queue was right next to it.

48 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

In the mid eighties didn’t away fans sit in the the Bycars end of the Railway Stand? Or are my memories of both Wigan and Millwall fans sitting in there just a sign of my fading recollections in old age?

I remember Blackburn and Bournemouth fans packing out the Bycars end of the Railway paddock, early 70s

Why not think even bigger, start from scratch, flatten the Railway side of the ground (taking away the mound it sits on), then build a stand that is a mirror of the Lorne street but bigger/taller with seats up to a deck of boxes or even a double deck of boxes running the full length of the pitch then a tier of seats above.  Employ a smart design-build programme that allows occupancy while construction continues (unlike the Lorne Street) in line with our 5 year plan (the one that comes after the current one) and successes on the pitch as we move up the leagues.
To paraphrase ‘We all live in the gutter but some of us look up at the stars’
UTV
I like that idea. I however would build it as a two tier stand just as the railway stand/paddock is and have more boxes running central and stick a hotel at the back. There is so much lamd going to waste with the railway and bycars being built in the hills.

20 hours ago, DazFred said:

I said that about STs already being bought.

It's good to have a discussion that people are debating about which end should house the home fans but it won't be an overnight fix. I think it's something that can be looked at during the season and next pre season...I just feel it's too soon to make huge changes to the ground plus it would be extra finance spent on off-field duties.

No one anticipated the success of the Hamil End. I sit in the Bycars but would move to the Hamil, especially if there are a large contingent of home fans...it creates a great atmosphere. 

We need to win half of our home games at least and half a dozen away to get to 50 points and ensure staying up. I really think giving Clarke a 5 year contract shows the owners are looking toward stability and further progress and it won't happen overnight

I don't think we'll need to win 17 games to stay up. 17 wins and 20 draws might sneak you into the playoffs.

Talk of fans fundraising to get the Lorne Street finished is nonsense. We've done our bit with over 40,000 Vale fans turning up to our last 3 home matches and Wembley, and roaring the club on to a position in the far more lucrative league 1. It needs prioritising now. There isn't a decent place to take a child to VP as it stands. Turning the Lorne Street into the new family stand would solve that.

32 minutes ago, bobbymanc said:

I don't think we'll need to win 17 games to stay up. 17 wins and 20 draws might sneak you into the playoffs.

Talk of fans fundraising to get the Lorne Street finished is nonsense. We've done our bit with over 40,000 Vale fans turning up to our last 3 home matches and Wembley, and roaring the club on to a position in the far more lucrative league 1. It needs prioritising now. There isn't a decent place to take a child to VP as it stands. Turning the Lorne Street into the new family stand would solve that.

Agree with Lorne Street becoming new Family Stand.

I think that with all the backroom staff,DoF etc,there's already been a lot of money spent. Unfortunately off the field was neglected for so long by the previous owner so it won't be changed overnight.

My point about getting to 50 points was more around the fact that we had identical home and away records last season.

If we pick up 11 home wins and 6 away,that's 51 points. No way will we win 11 away games so the focus needs to be on winning home games and that's when the crowds will come.

Archived