onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Hamil End

STUNG

1 hour ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

Disagree on pretty much all of that. It's who is in there that makes the atmosphere not necessarily the numbers. People tried to revive the Bycars after the target 5k campaign in 08/09. It failed, the bycars just doesn't attract people anymore. The Hamil clearly does.

I used to go in the Bycars in the late 90s so know what atmosphere we can make behind a goal. That's why we need the Hamil. It's been proven that our more vociferous supporters won't use the Bycars, but they would the Hamil. Its a no brainer.

Mansfield fans got behind their team for 20 odd mins in a one off game at Wembley. We'd have done exactly the same. No doubt about that. We've done it before, the Anglo Italian being an example. The place was bouncing even after being so far behind. The occasion brings that support. 

I think you’ve ended up echoing what I’ve said.  Novelty, and better facilities, will attract fans in the short term, which is a good thing, but this talk of better acoustics is wide of the mark.  Your 150 v 6000 argument is tosh.

You say the occasion brings the support and that’s what happened v Swindon.  It’s not going to be a regular occurrence.  Put 3k Rams in the Bycars and you’ll hear them.

I was at the Genoa game but have to admit I don’t remember it the way you do.

Advert

10 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think you’ve ended up echoing what I’ve said.  Novelty, and better facilities, will attract fans in the short term, which is a good thing, but this talk of better acoustics is wide of the mark.  Your 150 v 6000 argument is tosh.

You say the occasion brings the support and that’s what happened v Swindon.  It’s not going to be a regular occurrence.  Put 3k Rams in the Bycars and you’ll hear them.

I was at the Genoa game but have to admit I don’t remember it the way you do.

Best we agree to disagree. Personally I think we have to do something. The atmosphere is poor at the moment. The sound from the Railway doesn't travel well. I also don't recall the bycars even in its heyday creating the kind of atmosphere the Hamil does. That's down to acoustics.

The Genoa game was when we were singing boom boom boom, let me hear you say Vale. The Genoa players were even joining in after the game.

Best we agree to disagree. Personally I think we have to do something. The atmosphere is poor at the moment. The sound from the Railway doesn't travel well. I also don't recall the bycars even in its heyday creating the kind of atmosphere the Hamil does. That's down to acoustics.

The Genoa game was when we were singing boom boom boom, let me hear you say Vale. The Genoa players were even joining in after the game.

All I would say about noise levels is that you could hardly hear the Swindle fans in the Hamil 

I think the Hamil is ok but not that amazing, best bit is the convenience of it being effectively at the main entrance. Worst thing about the Hamil is the view at the back can be poor due to the low roof. 

Plus we have all those fences that were put up outside on Police advice that makes fan segregation easier.

The best solution is to get the new Lorne Street end done. I see Swindon are getting a brand new pitch despite staying in league 2 and not having any Wembley money. 

Probably because the nature of the tie ensured a good atmosphere. That won’t be happening V Morecambe in February regardless of where fans are. Hamil has a low roof which helps. 

4 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Probably because the nature of the tie ensured a good atmosphere. That won’t be happening V Morecambe in February regardless of where fans are. Hamil has a low roof which helps. 

I get the point, but whatever scenario anyone throws out there, the Hamil End wins.

3.5k+ Vale in the Bycars v Swindon, the atmosphere would have been generated from the Railway, not the Bycars, meaning 2k Swindon would have outsung us.

Morecambe at home in Feb, if we had a thousand season ticket holders in the Hamil, they'd create more of an atmosphere in there than if things stayed as they are.

Marketed the right way, cheaper tickets to encourage more in there, fan zone etc outside, Tommy Cheadles right there, it would all improve the match day experience for those that want to go for the atmosphere just as much as the game.

9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

That’s exactly my point.  Moving to the Hamil will undoubtedly have a positive effect, but suggesting it’ll be like the Playoff 2nd leg every match is pushing it to say the least.

Vale Park is a large ground with restricted access to the Bycars stand which is neither on a main road nor having a wide open area to congregate pre match. Use of the Bycars stand for the away fans means they must interact with home fans in confined areas. The Hamel Road stand is much better suited for the away fans to enter with buses parking immediately outside. And yes violence does happen; unconscious beaten up Swindon supporter found by me outside Lorne Street last home game for example. That 100% would not have happened if the Hamel Road end was in use as the away end. 

33 minutes ago, Warren said:

Vale Park is a large ground with restricted access to the Bycars stand which is neither on a main road nor having a wide open area to congregate pre match. Use of the Bycars stand for the away fans means they must interact with home fans in confined areas. The Hamel Road stand is much better suited for the away fans to enter with buses parking immediately outside. And yes violence does happen; unconscious beaten up Swindon supporter found by me outside Lorne Street last home game for example. That 100% would not have happened if the Hamel Road end was in use as the away end. 

Wow, that's quite an assumption,  especially on the point about the Swindon fan. How on earth can that be blamed on the stand away supporters were in? Where were away fan coaches parked? The argument for away fans in the Hamil is partly because of where coaches park. This Swindon fan you refer to wouldn't have been on a coach, so would have been on Hamil Road amongst thousands of Vale fans. With the emotions of the night and the hostility between the two sets of supporters following the almost 2 weeks of tensions building, Hamil Road would have been a war zone if their fans were in that end. Transfer your Swindon fan to Hamil Road and times it by many many more.

Did you see how the Swindon fan was hurt by the way? 

Away fans in the Bycars is perfect from a security point of view. No need for Vale fans to interact with away fans that end of the ground. Vale fans can head straight off down Hamil Road and away from the ground in all directions.

I'm sure a review will have been carried out by the police and the club. Can't see how the conclusion would be anything but a great success. Take away the pitch invasion, which is a very rare event, the night was a largely peaceful one with very little interaction between both sets of supporters.

Whilst I've always thought that the Hamil makes sense because it's self contained, it is also right in the forefront of the action outside the ground.

The Bycars, by contrast, is out of the way, so it should be easier to maintain segregation.

Whilst I've always thought that the Hamil makes sense because it's self contained, it is also right in the forefront of the action outside the ground.
The Bycars, by contrast, is out of the way, so it should be easier to maintain segregation.
The only way is a seasons trial, there will be more away fans this season, with a few big gates such as Barnsley, Bolton, etc to test segregation.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

Are we the only club in the country that seem to obsess about away fans and access to their stand?  Every other away ground we visit has no such restrictions on dumping away fans directly at the door and segregation. It’s absolutely fine for us to house away fans wherever we see fit. We’re not <ovf censored> Galatasaray!

Archived