onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Admiration for Mansfield Town fans

17 hours ago, toyahw said:

Always think of you lot being a bit like us really.  Didn't realize it was so long since the dizzy heights of L1 for you lot.  To be honest I expected you to win based on the two previous games.  Paid for the slow start to the season and in the final looked a bit old.  A game too far?  What Hawkins was thinking is a mystery.  Tactics wrong, giving us the freedom of the wings.

But you had a right good run to get in the play-offs. All the best to you next season. You were playing catch up, we were playing throw it away most of the time.  Glad we won, but feel for you.

Thanks! Yes it's that long since we were in League 1. Remember we had 5 years in the Conference too. We suffered from a parasitic owner who tried his very best to kill the club. The fans rallied together and forced him out and then we were saved by a boyhood fan, John Radford, and now the club is in a really healthy state - yet more parallels between our two clubs.

I think that's where my affinity with Vale began. We visited Vale Park and your fans group asked Stags fans to use an alternative carpark to help raise money for the new owners or something. We could definitely empathise.

Advert

17 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

Wayne corden did actually score for Mansfield against vale at vale park. It was an early goal to give them the lead but we ended up winning the game but can't remember the score without looking it up. Would have been around 20 years ago.

It was 4-2 to us in the end. He scored in the first minute if I remember rightly.

Mansfield had plenty of goals in them that season (Christie, Lawrence etc) but couldn't keep them out at the other end. I remember watching Soccer Saturday that season and they were 4-3 up against someone decent and ended up losing 5-4.

I think they would have had the accident prone Kevin Pilkington in goal that season.

3 hours ago, Staggo said:

Yeah Wayne still lives in Leek and played for Leek Town at the end of his career.

Billy Dearden is another Stags legend. Assistant Manager the one and only time we won at Wembley and Manager for most of the season when we last were promoted to League 1. I saw him at our playoff game vs Northampton.

Billy Dearden was with us for 4 or 5 years through a truly great period, so I won’t be alone in remembering him fondly.  FA Cup exploits, playing in the second tier and just missing out on the playoffs, derby victories v the 5h1t.  He was there for our last Wembley visit, where we got tonked 5-2 by Genoa.  At the time myself and fans around me in the Bycars always thought he looked seriously old and when he used to jog out for the warm up, right in front of us, it looked like his knees would give way.  They never did.  

Hi. A Stags fan and new admirer of Port Vale in peace. Can I just say, your fans, before and after the game are a credit to your club. I didn’t see an ounce of trouble and those I spoke to were great. I hope you go on and do really well in league one next season and I for one will be keeping an eye out on all your results (your my new 2nd club lol) after 35 minutes on Saturday the game was over for us but I’m so proud of my club too and the support was unbelievable. Basically you out thought, out ran and hammered us. I feel a bond between the clubs has been made, especially with DC being your gaffer. I hope he’s ours one day in the future. Anyway good luck guys and gals and I hope you don’t mind us Stags popping back on here every now and then next season. COYS & COYV

35 minutes ago, Stags1987 said:

Hi. A Stags fan and new admirer of Port Vale in peace. Can I just say, your fans, before and after the game are a credit to your club. I didn’t see an ounce of trouble and those I spoke to were great. I hope you go on and do really well in league one next season and I for one will be keeping an eye out on all your results (your my new 2nd club lol) after 35 minutes on Saturday the game was over for us but I’m so proud of my club too and the support was unbelievable. Basically you out thought, out ran and hammered us. I feel a bond between the clubs has been made, especially with DC being your gaffer. I hope he’s ours one day in the future. Anyway good luck guys and gals and I hope you don’t mind us Stags popping back on here every now and then next season. COYS & COYV

I’ve been saying the same all week. We were in several pubs before and after the game, all fairly rammed with Vale, Mansfield & Wigan rugby fans. Some great banter and stories, no bother at all. That’s how sport should be ( any Swindle fans nosing about on here take note).

The love and respect shown to DC by the fans and club have given me a new respect for Mansfield. I really hope to see you soon in league 1 and will be rooting for you next season. Best of luck.

47 minutes ago, Stags1987 said:

Credit to your club.

I hope you get up next season,however I don't think your manager helps at times.

If you improve your away record and get a better start then you can definitely be up there.

Good luck

59 minutes ago, Stags1987 said:

Hope you smash league 2 next season. Thought although we were the better side on the day, oats looked a real quality player. Hopefully you aren’t playing catch up this season and have at least an average start. 

Archived