onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Admiration for Mansfield Town fans

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Question for any Stags fans reading, what was the story from your end behind the departure of Mal Benning?  Clearly a very talented player on his day.

I think his run had just come to an end, he'd been with us for many years and I think we were both ready for a new start. If I remember he was injured quite a bit towards the end of his time with us and was struggling to get into the squad, never mind the team.  It just felt like the right thing for both parties.  We were all very disappointed about him leaving because we liked him so much, but also understood that it was the right thing.    The guy has been an absolute credit though, he's always always done the right thing - and I think I said earlier in the thread that somehow he is even more revered after Saturday, than he was before.  He still managed to do and say the right things after setting a goal up and scoring another against his former side at Wembley - how many players can do that?    Look after him guys, even in his lean times he's a still a good guy.

Advert

Like everyone else I was impressed with everything about Mansfield.  Last Saturday for them was like 1993 for us against WBA.  Remember just one year later when we had that great day at Brighton. I believe that Mansfield will do really well next season, I wish them well.

There is a lot of history between our two clubs.  Apart from the current connections there have been many over the years.  Roy Chapman, Kevin Kent, Allan Tankard, Bill Dearden, are the most notable.

The strangest connection is when the Mansfield player-manager, negotiated his own transfer as player-manager from Mansfield to Port Vale.  That was Freddie Steele of course, who led us to our greatest ever season a couple of years later.

The Stags will come back next season

1 hour ago, Essex Vale said:

Like everyone else I was impressed with everything about Mansfield.  Last Saturday for them was like 1993 for us against WBA.  Remember just one year later when we had that great day at Brighton. I believe that Mansfield will do really well next season, I wish them well.

There is a lot of history between our two clubs.  Apart from the current connections there have been many over the years.  Roy Chapman, Kevin Kent, Allan Tankard, Bill Dearden, are the most notable.

The strangest connection is when the Mansfield player-manager, negotiated his own transfer as player-manager from Mansfield to Port Vale.  That was Freddie Steele of course, who led us to our greatest ever season a couple of years later.

Another player for both clubs is Wayne Corden. He played about 70 games for Vale and 200 or so for Stags. He was in the Mansfield end at Wembley on Saturday and I had the luck to meet him in the pub. He's a hero for us, despite missing in the penalty shootout of the 2004 play-off final, which we also lost. 

2 hours ago, New Brighton Stag said:

I think his run had just come to an end, he'd been with us for many years and I think we were both ready for a new start. If I remember he was injured quite a bit towards the end of his time with us and was struggling to get into the squad, never mind the team.  It just felt like the right thing for both parties.  We were all very disappointed about him leaving because we liked him so much, but also understood that it was the right thing.    The guy has been an absolute credit though, he's always always done the right thing - and I think I said earlier in the thread that somehow he is even more revered after Saturday, than he was before.  He still managed to do and say the right things after setting a goal up and scoring another against his former side at Wembley - how many players can do that?    Look after him guys, even in his lean times he's a still a good guy.

Agree fully with this. Mal, or 'Sir Mal' as he became after scoring the winner against Chesterfield to all but send them out of the league, was out of the team and not performing to the standard we had been used to. He has a season of relatively inconsistent form and Clough came in and wanted his own players. Stephen McLaughlin, who replaced him, has been our player of the season and we haven't really missed Mal to be honest, apart from at Wembley of course. Thought he was MOM.

2 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

I hope they do. Had just written (and deleted) that I wasn't convinced that Clough got jobs on his own merit rather than on the name of his father but his win percentage is pretty good, over 40% and is closer to 50% with Mansfield.

35 minutes ago, Staggo said:

Another player for both clubs is Wayne Corden. He played about 70 games for Vale and 200 or so for Stags. He was in the Mansfield end at Wembley on Saturday and I had the luck to meet him in the pub. He's a hero for us, despite missing in the penalty shootout of the 2004 play-off final, which we also lost. 

Corden gave me my biggest mental before Saturday. Never forget that equaliser against Arsenal.

On 30/05/2022 at 14:08, Staggo said:

Yep. Well we actually got pipped by Franchise because we lost to them on the final day of the season. That was essentially a playoff final game. We then lost on pens in the playoffs. Not sure what we've done to anger the football gods!

Always think of you lot being a bit like us really.  Didn't realize it was so long since the dizzy heights of L1 for you lot.  To be honest I expected you to win based on the two previous games.  Paid for the slow start to the season and in the final looked a bit old.  A game too far?  What Hawkins was thinking is a mystery.  Tactics wrong, giving us the freedom of the wings.

But you had a right good run to get in the play-offs. All the best to you next season. You were playing catch up, we were playing throw it away most of the time.  Glad we won, but feel for you.

Can't believe that it is 19 years since Mansfield Town last played in the 3rd tier of English football. In recent years Mansfield have always been one of the favourites for promotion, but failed to achieve their ultimate goal. At the start of this season I don't believe "The Stags", were expected to be in the top 3 places. So like Vale just sneaking into The Play Off's and very few people expecting a great deal I feared Vale playing them. Especially after achieving to great results v Northampton who were possibly slightly deflated after being pipped on the final day of the regular season by Bristol Rovers incredible result already relegated Scunthorpe. To be fair the vast majority of PVFC fans are even now still pinching themselves at how incredibly well PVFC played at Wembley. So many times over the years PVFC have flattered to deceive. So to all Mansfield Town fans believe possibly next season you will reach League One and the vast majority of PVFC fans wish you well. Thank goodness Mansfield Town and their excellent supporters are gracious in defeat. Not like the sad "ROBINS SUPPORTERS OF BITTER SWINDON TOWN".

6 hours ago, Staggo said:

He was local to this area, came back and played locally at the end of his career, would’ve been known to Billy Dearden who was at Vale through some really good times for those few years with Rudgie before Rudge got sacked.  He didn’t look quite up to the level at that time and I always thought looked a bit lightweight but clearly found a niche.

He was local to this area, came back and played locally at the end of his career, would’ve been known to Billy Dearden who was at Vale through some really good times for those few years with Rudgie before Rudge got sacked.  He didn’t look quite up to the level at that time and I always thought looked a bit lightweight but clearly found a niche.
His equaliser against Arsenal in the FA Cup that took them to penalties in Wengers first double year will never be forgotten.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

28 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

His equaliser against Arsenal in the FA Cup that took them to penalties in Wengers first double year will never be forgotten.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

Absolutely correct.  What a fantastic era that was.  Mostly playing at a higher level back then, some top players.  Corden was seen as a prospect by Rudgie.  Local lad, coming through the ranks, skilful, I think we all wanted him to do well.

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Yeah Wayne still lives in Leek and played for Leek Town at the end of his career.

Billy Dearden is another Stags legend. Assistant Manager the one and only time we won at Wembley and Manager for most of the season when we last were promoted to League 1. I saw him at our playoff game vs Northampton.

Archived