onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell's here to stay!

Walka003

20 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I can understand the reservations. If it all goes belly up next year we are stuck with a 4 1/2 year pay out.

I think he's the man to take us where we want to go though, firmly on board with keeping him for as long as we can.

We wont be,there will be a clause in there agreed by both parties i can tell you that much and i know DC isn't a greedy man motivated by money so my guess will be he will be due 6 mths pay or it will say he will be paid until he takes further employment....it certainly WONT be to pay his contract in full so dunner worry me owd fruit 🙂

Advert

20 hours ago, philmpv said:
20 hours ago, Walka003 said:
I can understand the reservations. If it all goes belly up next year we are stuck with a 4 1/2 year pay out.

I think he's the man to take us where we want to go though, firmly on board with keeping him for as long as we can.

Why can't we buck the trend and actually stick with a manager if all doesn't go to plan for a season?

The only other long term contract was Ainsworth at Wycombe who i think got a 5yr deal(maybe longer) and they stuck with him and he anner done to bad

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

I imagine the '5 year' nature of this deal is more symbolic than financial. There will be break clauses in for both parties. Neither Carol or Clarke are naive enough to think a 6.5 year managerial stint is common-place anymore. There's no chance Carol is tying herself to paying off the entirety of that contract should things go wrong.

I think it's more to do with providing potential stability for the club. It demonstrates the value that Carol/Flitters place on Clarke and Clarke places on having a secure and well-run environment. There's clearly a 5-year plan in place, now the pandemic is over and Smurthwaite is out of the picture, to get towards the Championship, alongside overhauling the academy and doing up Vale Park so it's a bit less 1970s. The first phase of Carol's ownership, of steadying the sinking ship, sorting out the footballing infrastructure, linking the club to the community, and attracting some younger fans, has been complete. Feels like Phase 2 is beginning.

It's a massive undertaking. I'm not confident that Clarke will still be manager in 5 years, but that's fine. Very few managers last that long. He may get bored of us, we may get bored of him. That's football, and normal.

This is a good show of the united approach that every level of the club has to the same goal. I feel like tomorrow, the Robbie concert, and this contract is a sign that we're ready to step into the next stage of things. I sincerely hope we do it tomorrow to give it a kick-start.

It also sends out a message to future signings that the man who signs them is committing to us long term

5 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am indifferent really. I can't help wondering what would have happened if we had kept Murray until the end of the season, would we have beaten Newport and got auto promotion? But it is all water under the bridge now. I don't expect Darrell will stay for 5 years but who knows. 

I dont want this thread to turn into all about you again as its boring now but one thing i am interested in is do you now admit you were wrong on DC and are you now prepared to eat humble pie and give him credit for where we find ourselves now?

13 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I am indifferent really. I can't help wondering what would have happened if we had kept Murray until the end of the season, would we have beaten Newport and got auto promotion? But it is all water under the bridge now. I don't expect Darrell will stay for 5 years but who knows. 

Negativity,it follows you around thinks stung . 

Archived