onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Another school shooting in the US

Jacko51

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I don't think the Democrats want to repeal the 2nd Amendment.  They want gun control - the sort of thing we have in this country that allows people like my brother to buy a gun for sporting purposes (clay pigeon shooting in his case) but prevents an 18 year old with mental health issues from walking into a shop and buying a military assault rifle.  I can't see that such controls in any way lead to any sort of dictatorship?? 

I agree Jacko it's an insane system and I'd be all for tighter background checks and probably further age restrictions. It's crazy to me that you would be too young to buy a beer but old enough by 3 years to buy an AR 15. 

If it stops there then I think common ground can be reached. There is a danger that there are too many people wanting to basically repeal the 2nd amendment via the back door which is totally unconstitutional and would be dictatorial (Seen as the authority for amending/repealing the constitution is.....constitutionally protected via the 2/3s senate and 3/4 states threshold).

To put it simply...You either lawfully change the constitution or a dictator would have to forcefully tear it up. This is the opposite side of the coin to the Roe V Wade stuff a few weeks ago. 

The nuance of my position is this: I am against tyranny. I can't think of anything worse. I am also against guns generally, I've never fired one and I once had the opportunity to fire one and turned it down. I've got no interest in it whatsoever. BUT America was founded by its constitution and to tear up a part of that is to tear it all up....unless you do things by the book. Ergo, my anti-tyranny views trumps by anti-gun views in a USA context, but that does not mean that I become pro-gun. I'm pro rights.

Advert

44 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Sickening little <ovf censored>. <ovf censored> coward.

From another message board I use:

"On the subject of Ted Cruz, I was once in a Q&A with some leading US CEOs, White House lawyers, heads of business groups and the like. This was early 2016 when Cruz was going against Trump.

One of them said: "I went to college with Ted Cruz. I've considered him a personal friend for more than half my life and I know him very well. That is why I say he should not be allowed anywhere near political power."

And that's his FRIEND talking. "

For me there is no reason why an ordinary American citizen needs or has a right to own a rapid fire weapon of any kind and it baffles me why the Constitution cannot be modified to reflect this and other issues like firmer back ground checks, better record keeping, making gun owning parents more responsible for keeping guns out of the hands of their children, banning the production and sale of ghost guns etc etc.

However gun ownership, laws and the gun lobby are not the only issues as there are states like New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine with very lax gun laws but low gun crime although these states have lower populations.  

The vast majority of Americans want tighter gun laws but for whatever reason Congress prevents it, the whole problem needs some fresh thought, fresh ideas and quick.

We were in Dallas Texas a few years ago  to see a rock concert. Sign on the entrance said no concealed hand guns, in other words you could carry your gun in your holster as long it was on show, and they did. That was reassuring !!!!!

Before the concert we went around a shopping mall and into a department store. Guns and ammunition openly on sale as if you were buying a pair of trainers. Gobsmacked.

More recently saw an American TV interview where the recommendation to reduce gun deaths  was arming more people . Unbelievable.

The guns in the hands of the police who waited 40 minutes outside the classroom didn't help anyone, even when the 911 calls from the children inside the classroom were still reaching emergency services operators. 

There is no easy answer and there certainly isn't a quick fix.  Banning alcohol didn't work, how is the ban on knives doing in the UK?

On 26/05/2022 at 20:19, Regal Beagle said:

That's funny because not only did I not "back the gun nuts" - I did the exact opposite and quite clearly stated it.

I also predicted that this kind of accusation would occur

So you can ask whatever you want as long as you do so honestly and in good faith. Your current post is not honest and is not good faith and therefore I will ignore it.

What point were you trying to make by asking “how was the shooter” stopped then? 
sounds like something a pro gun nut  would say tbh. sure plenty would agree with that 

19 hours ago, WV said:

What point were you trying to make by asking “how was the shooter” stopped then? 
sounds like something a pro gun nut  would say tbh. sure plenty would agree with that 

I'm sure there are too. Lots of bad faith operators about currently.

Now tell me though, why can't you answer the question? 

• 1 month later...

Archived