• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: POF Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Clarke has won 4 out of 4 playoff campaigns. 5 promotions in 10 full seasons of management.
His one 'failure' is at a club he never completed a full season at due to the pandemic, in which he finished 12th and then left them in 11th. This is at a club where his best players were sold from under his nose and was asked to replace them with loans, and they've struggled since the day he left (finishing 19th and 16th and going through 3 managers).
A 48 win% since he came to Vale. 45% across his career. 18th to promotion in 15 months with half a new team. Oversaw our longest winning streak since 1998 with a very poor side last season (at times, the worst I'd ever seen). First Vale manager to win back-to-back manager of the month awards. An unmatched team unity in which the players clearly adore him and backup players celebrate promotion with more vigour than some fans.
Already provided the best night (Swindon) and best day (Wembley) of a lot of Vale fans' lives, within 18 months of rocking up. He's already my favourite, and in my opinion the best, Vale manager of the 21st century. 
I was genuinely convinced he wouldn't return after his bereavement, and would fully understand if he hadn't. For him to commit to us long-term is fundamental to this club's future. I can't name a manager outside of the Championship I'd rather have. At 44, he has decades ahead of him. The hard part, for me, was getting out of that horrendous, tinpot league. Now we're out, and with Bob Dazzler at the helm, the pigs are marching.
image.thumb.png.9d4cef609c4c80022d8d0e9ee93d39a6.png

Wow that’s some very impressive numbers that’s for sure

I can’t think of anyone at the same level to match those numbers surely
  • Like 1

Advert:

Anyone know who will get a medal? Will, I dunno, Politic get one? George Lloyd? Holy? Just saw Ryan Johnson holding his from Stockport and wondered if he'd be getting another through the post. Would be nice to acknowledge all the players who contributed, even those who didn't really get any minutes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe B said:

352 is so deliciously balanced if you get the personnel right.

You get your two strikers to stretch defences. Three in the midfield so you don't lose that battle. Three centre halves which can easily switch to a back 4/5 if a wing-back drops in. Wing-backs with energy and pace provide width. If the players are right, there aren't any weaknesses/

It's hard to argue we're one of the most individually talented team in the league. The system, and signing players specifically to fit it, was key. 

A 10, a ball-playing RCB, and a young, athletic wing-back are the best ways to take it to the next level.

It looked great against that narrow Mansfield system, but we saw other teams counter it quite effectively earlier in the season, and we struggled to adapt. (I actually think having Taylor fit, who could have been that more natural replacement for Conlon in the attacking third, would have made a difference in this respect). We will need a Plan B in League 1.

A little bit ironically, one of the things that people were previously a bit critical of Clarke about - his tinkering, changing of formations - was something we didn't do much of, other than the switch to 3-4-3, which wasn't very successful, and our best form came back once we returned to the tried and tested 3-5-2.

3 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Just watching the highlights back for umpteenth time and thinking how much better the atmosphere is after a goal without that god awful crap Glad All Over contaminated people's ears.

Sounded pretty good after the full time whistle 

• Like 2

Advert:

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Just watching the highlights back for umpteenth time and thinking how much better the atmosphere is after a goal without that god awful crap Glad All Over contaminated people's ears.

I think it's been played for so long that everybody has been conditioned to expect it and then respond, like some football variation of Pavlov's Dog experiment.

To be fair to Wembley l was expecting some deafening cacophony of naff music at any opportunity but it wasn't that bad at all, and at least it was tailored to Vale with Penny Arcade etc.

Edited by smithie
  • Like 1

I hope someone writes the story of this season.
It will be a good read.
Lots of ups and downs, dramatic stuff, culminating in a surprisingly relaxed and enjoyable Wembley experience.
In spite of Aiden's best efforts to inject horror!

Having watched the video back, I was happy that for me, inside the stadium, the PA announcer was drowned out by the noise from the fans.

”Port…”

(inhales helium)

”…Vale!”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Anyone know who will get a medal? Will, I dunno, Politic get one? George Lloyd? Holy? Just saw Ryan Johnson holding his from Stockport and wondered if he'd be getting another through the post. Would be nice to acknowledge all the players who contributed, even those who didn't really get any minutes.

With regards to players who contributed. 

I wonder why Hurst was in full kit and on the pitch warming up both before and at half time.  He wasn't on the bench .

Found that peculiar. He was possibly the only remaining fit member of the squad who didn't get a place but I found it very strange. 

Advert:

16 hours ago, vale victory said:

Wow that’s some very impressive numbers that’s for sure

I can’t think of anyone at the same level to match those numbers surely

We are blessed. I am in contact with Vale fans who think he is arrogant and a loose Cannon.

I have only returned to Vale Park because of what was offered. Belief,optimism,tenacity, togetherness. Yes there were days when I queried some of the subs and tactics but I really enjoyed the season. The key to a successful club is winning home games cos it'll get more fans through the turnstiles.

I'm looking forward to next season and after what he went through Darrell Clarke will always be a top man in my book.

3 hours ago, The_godfather said:

It looked great against that narrow Mansfield system, but we saw other teams counter it quite effectively earlier in the season, and we struggled to adapt. (I actually think having Taylor fit, who could have been that more natural replacement for Conlon in the attacking third, would have made a difference in this respect). We will need a Plan B in League 1.

A little bit ironically, one of the things that people were previously a bit critical of Clarke about - his tinkering, changing of formations - was something we didn't do much of, other than the switch to 3-4-3, which wasn't very successful, and our best form came back once we returned to the tried and tested 3-5-2.

Our system works well with Hall, Gibbons and Smith in the middle. Any one of those injured and our system collapses, Smith is never a wing back, Cass doesn’t defend well I’m that system and Martin isn’t good enough on his own in the center. 
If we are to play that system next season we must make a signing or 2 of players who can fit in well.

• Like 3

Advert:

10 minutes ago, DazFred said:

We are blessed. I am in contact with Vale fans who think he is arrogant and a loose Cannon.

I have only returned to Vale Park because of what was offered. Belief,optimism,tenacity, togetherness. Yes there were days when I queried some of the subs and tactics but I really enjoyed the season. The key to a successful club is winning home games cos it'll get more fans through the turnstiles.

I'm looking forward to next season and after what he went through Darrell Clarke will always be a top man in my book.

Most top athletes and pop stars for that matter are arrogant, guess it’s what gives them the confidence to be the best. Clarke and has team have done an excellent job, I was one who reserved judgement until the end of the season but hats off, to bring in as many new players at the start of the season and gain promotion especially with everything that has gone on is a fantastic achievement. Let’s do it again next season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Most top athletes and pop stars for that matter are arrogant, guess it’s what gives them the confidence to be the best. Clarke and has team have done an excellent job, I was one who reserved judgement until the end of the season but hats off, to bring in as many new players at the start of the season and gain promotion especially with everything that has gone on is a fantastic achievement. Let’s do it again next season.

Only Gibbo, Smith, Taylor ,Worrall and Amoo were there the season before from the 17 squad at Wembley. 

To have such a season after that change and upheaval is testament to everyone. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Only Gibbo, Smith, Taylor ,Worrall and Amoo were there the season before from the 17 squad at Wembley. 

To have such a season after that change and upheaval is testament to everyone. 

After the Bruno And The Beard (Andy Smith) experiment, I'll happily admit I had serious reservations about success coming our way with so many new players coming in all at once. Yet we've been really entertaining to watch, and to actually go up at the first time of asking really is some achievement. 

I wish now I'd had an "Up the Process" banner at Wembley.

Edited by smithie
  • Like 1