• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: POF Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Advert:

I'm watching the game back. Got to half time. Pretty much the perfect half. Mansfield totally rattled. Harratt's presence is massive. He stretches the play and opens up space for everyone to play in. Hence Taylor, Pett et al flourish.

Even Aidan Stone's unpunished gaffs added to the theatre!

A wonderful day!

• Like 1

Advert:

What a fantastic day. My first time seeing Vale at Wembley. 

I think I was pinching myself at 2-0 up and them down to 10 men, surely it couldn’t have been this easy for the Vale, given all the years of pain we have had???

At 3-0 my nerves finally settled and it was time to enjoy the celebrations. 

As others have said, HUGE credit to Darrell, the back room staff, Carol and Kevin and the players. What a team, what a club! 

(Also thanks to Gary from Telford, the fan I chatted to on the way down to Euston from New St for the stories and conversation, and to Mike and the other chaps from London and Essex outside the Euston Tap for the pint 🍺)

• Like 6

Congratulations from a chap standing next to me on a Central line tube, I saw your lot beat us 3-0 in Burslem, a Colchester fan who went to Wembley as a neutral. Could do with him as a mascot, although if I take a daughter to Wembley Vale win.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Please, please, please can someone upload the full Swindon home game and yesterdays game!! Want to savour them for a little while longer.

shout out to all the fans yesterday thought it was a great atmosphere from both sets of fans. Mutual respect for Mansfield, sadly one team has to leave having lost but you did so graciously having sang your hearts out for your guys in the second half. All the best for next season.

Oh and, trounce Swindon for us boys!! Never has their been a more arrogant club and bunch of fans! 

They're on the Vale website.

i follow, latest videos...

A lot of other fans getting a bit twitchy.

Stoke, Crewe, Walsall, Swindon all not happy. Baudry is still chirping this morning but did give an 'oooo sorry' tweet after Gibbo referenced him in his photo with his trophy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

46 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Outstanding effort. At least the you had a happy ending. To the day that is.😀

I just know that me and my lad might never go to Wembley again.

The team and the 2 lads who were with us,made it worthwhile.

What a performance from the team and fans

• Like 3

I can’t believe how easy the game turned out to be. We were so good, we looked like we wanted it more, we chased everything, hunted in packs, we looked fitter and our game plan was better. We took them to the cleaners down the wings and of course the sending off helped but we were well on top. They created nothing of note themselves apart from Stones 2 errors when he called for the ball and then made a great save after he didn’t come for it and then the one he dropped that got cleared off the line. What a day. It will live long in the memory. 

9 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I think Clough got it very wrong, he played his diamond on a massive pitch against us with our full backs and every time we played that switch pass they were in deep trouble, Wilson’s threaded pass for the first was sublime.

Swindon players saying we are not good footballers… some of the stuff we’ve played the past two games has been exquisite

Looked on their Forum and a fair bit of criticism of Clough (which is to be expected I guess) for the way he set the team up. I thought they were good on the ball but weren’t as dangerous as Swindon, and as you say, the balls by Wilson, Gibbo and Taylor out wide exposed them down the sides. The two chances they had in the 1st half were of our making, and apart from a smart save by Stone in the 2nd half, that was really it.

Advert:

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I think Clough got it very wrong, he played his diamond on a massive pitch against us with our full backs and every time we played that switch pass they were in deep trouble, Wilson’s threaded pass for the first was sublime.

Swindon players saying we are not good footballers… some of the stuff we’ve played the past two games has been exquisite

Yeah, sometimes football can be very simple.

Big pitch, wing-backs who can cross, forwards with good movement, up against a narrow midfield. Worrall got an assist + the cross for Wilson's goal, and Benning got a goal and an assist. All three goals were crosses.

It wasn't rocket science and it was almost funny how easily we created space. The midfield were clearly instructed to transition quickly; win the ball, send it to the flanks. Rarely did we slow the pace down. The emphasis was on vertical football. Taylor was superb at it in the first half.

Clough clearly trusted this system as it took them on a staggeringly good run from October, but we seemed perfectly set-up for that sort of game. Excellent shape, quick transition, wide players creating, clever movement from the strikers.. It won't work every game but it was magic yesterday.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1