Match Thread: POF Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Advert:

6 minutes ago, DoiDoiDoi said:

We exorcised a lot of ghosts in that match.......

But what a team.....

Wilson's vision to get the ball out to Benning for the cross for the first goal
Such agility from Harratt
The running and timing of the cross from Worrall for the second
Amazing looping header from Garrity
Exceptional awareness from Wilson to track the ball and get it in
The monster that is Connor Hall to get that ball off the line...
Worrall for the never-give-up attitude for the cross for the 3rd
.....and Benning... what a hit!

Just rewatching the highlights.  Great work by DW on the third, but Benning’s run to get on it was amazing.  Then there is the finish itself.

• Like 2

Advert:

One of the best days ever. I'm so proud of the players, supporters and the club as a whole. We were simply outstanding today. We deserve this promotion & as stated we should all be proud tonight of the football club. Who cares we won't be home until midnight!! Roll on the new season. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Quebec_Valiant said:

Just rewatching the highlights.  Great work by DW on the third, but Benning’s run to get on it was amazing.  Then there is the finish itself.

As they said on the commentary - it was the best of the three - just absolute quality....

• Like 2

Advert:

Posted (edited)

A) what a win, I never could've dreamt it would that easy (even though we always seem to stuff Mansfield)

B) I may never get my voice back

C) what is the thing with the pigs about?

Edited by DaneValiant

12 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Here is my update

We went from the Robin Hood Norton.The coach broke down at Banbury,70 miles from Wembley. With two lads we walked across motorways and dual carriageways the nearest train station.Train wouldn't get there till 4-45.

Grabbed a taxi...4 of us...£160 split between us.Traffic terrible so got out,ran to nearest train station.No trains could get us there in time.Took an Uber and spent another £12. Ran to Wembley 

Got there just in time to see 2nd goal

£85 for match tickets,75 for coach plus the taxis...expensive day.

Fortunately we managed to get on a Stantons coach back cos there's some spare seats.

Long day.

But worth it and oh so memorable.

I think we saved our best performance of the season today.

And on to League 1 we go

Sat in front of you mate. Glad you got to enjoy the day!! Massive win for everyone but what a win for you guys after all the days events! Safe journey home. 

• Like 3

Advert:

24 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m going to digest and saviour this for a while. It didn’t feel it at the time, but aside from some of the outstanding play @DoiDoiDoi highlighted above, we played with a level of footballing intelligence I’ve not seen from us before.

We weren’t dirty, didn’t resort to Swindle-style feigning and I don’t think you could say that the 2nd wasn’t a yellow card having seen the highlights (can’t remember what the 1st was for).

Fair play to Mansfield and their fans. They kept trying to play their way into the game (again without the sh!thousing) and brought on two direct players who kept us on our toes. Their fans were superb in the minute 8 applause and generally 2nd half in trying to rouse them, to which they responded. A good many of them also stayed behind after the final whistle.

Obviously the save from Stone was vital, who knows how it would have played out otherwise, but given the chances we missed, two chalked off for what looked marginal offside calls, we were just too good today. 

Whatever made DC choose this line up for the semi vs Swindle I don’t know, but the football in the last 2 games has been the best of the season (arguably several seasons) for me.

1st was for grabbing smudge by the throat and pushing him to the floor.  No complaints really.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m going to digest and saviour this for a while. It didn’t feel it at the time, but aside from some of the outstanding play @DoiDoiDoi highlighted above, we played with a level of footballing intelligence I’ve not seen from us before.

We weren’t dirty, didn’t resort to Swindle-style feigning and I don’t think you could say that the 2nd wasn’t a yellow card having seen the highlights (can’t remember what the 1st was for).

Fair play to Mansfield and their fans. They kept trying to play their way into the game (again without the sh!thousing) and brought on two direct players who kept us on our toes. Their fans were superb in the minute 8 applause and generally 2nd half in trying to rouse them, to which they responded. A good many of them also stayed behind after the final whistle.

Obviously the save from Stone was vital, who knows how it would have played out otherwise, but given the chances we missed, two chalked off for what looked marginal offside calls, we were just too good today. 

Whatever made DC choose this line up for the semi vs Swindle I don’t know, but the football in the last 2 games has been the best of the season (arguably several seasons) for me.

The first yellow was an off the ball incident with smudge - he basically was choking him until smudge fell over (I think smudge was trying a right old crafty wind-up).

The two disallowed goals were definitely offside - Charsley was about 3 yards ahead and Harratt was probably about a yard or two offside...... but that aside, we still controlled the game although I was a bit nervous anytime we had to rely on Stone..... (note: Dave, we need a new goalkeeper for L1..... send stone on loan)

I would also call out to Pett and Garrity as well - they did a lot of the unsung hero stuff - breaking up play, niggling away, chasing down balls and lots of pressing. Taylor also had some nice moves - he definitely has the skill.

• Like 2