onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POF Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

16 hours ago, vale victory said:

Wow that’s some very impressive numbers that’s for sure

I can’t think of anyone at the same level to match those numbers surely

We are blessed. I am in contact with Vale fans who think he is arrogant and a loose Cannon.

I have only returned to Vale Park because of what was offered. Belief,optimism,tenacity, togetherness. Yes there were days when I queried some of the subs and tactics but I really enjoyed the season. The key to a successful club is winning home games cos it'll get more fans through the turnstiles.

I'm looking forward to next season and after what he went through Darrell Clarke will always be a top man in my book.

Advert

3 hours ago, The_godfather said:

It looked great against that narrow Mansfield system, but we saw other teams counter it quite effectively earlier in the season, and we struggled to adapt. (I actually think having Taylor fit, who could have been that more natural replacement for Conlon in the attacking third, would have made a difference in this respect). We will need a Plan B in League 1.

A little bit ironically, one of the things that people were previously a bit critical of Clarke about - his tinkering, changing of formations - was something we didn't do much of, other than the switch to 3-4-3, which wasn't very successful, and our best form came back once we returned to the tried and tested 3-5-2.

Our system works well with Hall, Gibbons and Smith in the middle. Any one of those injured and our system collapses, Smith is never a wing back, Cass doesn’t defend well I’m that system and Martin isn’t good enough on his own in the center. 
If we are to play that system next season we must make a signing or 2 of players who can fit in well.

10 minutes ago, DazFred said:

We are blessed. I am in contact with Vale fans who think he is arrogant and a loose Cannon.

I have only returned to Vale Park because of what was offered. Belief,optimism,tenacity, togetherness. Yes there were days when I queried some of the subs and tactics but I really enjoyed the season. The key to a successful club is winning home games cos it'll get more fans through the turnstiles.

I'm looking forward to next season and after what he went through Darrell Clarke will always be a top man in my book.

Most top athletes and pop stars for that matter are arrogant, guess it’s what gives them the confidence to be the best. Clarke and has team have done an excellent job, I was one who reserved judgement until the end of the season but hats off, to bring in as many new players at the start of the season and gain promotion especially with everything that has gone on is a fantastic achievement. Let’s do it again next season.

15 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Most top athletes and pop stars for that matter are arrogant, guess it’s what gives them the confidence to be the best. Clarke and has team have done an excellent job, I was one who reserved judgement until the end of the season but hats off, to bring in as many new players at the start of the season and gain promotion especially with everything that has gone on is a fantastic achievement. Let’s do it again next season.

Only Gibbo, Smith, Taylor ,Worrall and Amoo were there the season before from the 17 squad at Wembley. 

To have such a season after that change and upheaval is testament to everyone. 

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Only Gibbo, Smith, Taylor ,Worrall and Amoo were there the season before from the 17 squad at Wembley. 

To have such a season after that change and upheaval is testament to everyone. 

After the Bruno And The Beard (Andy Smith) experiment, I'll happily admit I had serious reservations about success coming our way with so many new players coming in all at once. Yet we've been really entertaining to watch, and to actually go up at the first time of asking really is some achievement. 

I wish now I'd had an "Up the Process" banner at Wembley.

26 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I thought it was his fate to get promoted after what he'd been through.

His history as a manager has been back-to-back promotions twice before so why not a third?

He has a history of a large turnover of players but I don't think that is needed in Vales situation as there are a number of players who have played at League 1 or above. We can't possibly have the same injury record next season although a lot of our squad have had a number of long term injuries between them.

Having said that,what a fantastic achievement by all concerned to get promoted. There is a real togetherness both on and off the field and I'm sure Vale made quite a chunk of money out of the play offs and the Final 

That day will live with me forever

4 hours ago, The_godfather said:

It looked great against that narrow Mansfield system, but we saw other teams counter it quite effectively earlier in the season, and we struggled to adapt. (I actually think having Taylor fit, who could have been that more natural replacement for Conlon in the attacking third, would have made a difference in this respect). We will need a Plan B in League 1.

A little bit ironically, one of the things that people were previously a bit critical of Clarke about - his tinkering, changing of formations - was something we didn't do much of, other than the switch to 3-4-3, which wasn't very successful, and our best form came back once we returned to the tried and tested 3-5-2.

I agree. We’re all still a bit misty eyed from Wembley, and let’s just say that doing it at the National Stadium, in front of 37,000 on a pristine playing surface with a virtually fully fit squad on a nice, warm late May afternoon is one thing, but doing it consistently as places like Cambridge when there are injuries and niggles, in sub-zero temperatures in late-Jan on a pitch resembling a cabbage patch quite another. 

For me, in hindsight, the thing that turned the tide in our favour is Conor Hall’s signing. Exactly the same impact as Dean Glover’s signing 30+ (wowsers!) years ago. I feel this would have made Cass look a better defender. However, Gibbons re-introduction has also made Smith a better defender and Worrall look better at wing back. Taylor’s re-intro not only improved the midfield but made Harratt look better and, consequently Wilson because he was able to drop deeper. 

By some miracle, in the last two games of the season we have stumbled across what I would argue is our optimum team, all without Conlon and Proctor.

54 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I agree. We’re all still a bit misty eyed from Wembley, and let’s just say that doing it at the National Stadium, in front of 37,000 on a pristine playing surface with a virtually fully fit squad on a nice, warm late May afternoon is one thing, but doing it consistently as places like Cambridge when there are injuries and niggles, in sub-zero temperatures in late-Jan on a pitch resembling a cabbage patch quite another. 

For me, in hindsight, the thing that turned the tide in our favour is Conor Hall’s signing. Exactly the same impact as Dean Glover’s signing 30+ (wowsers!) years ago. I feel this would have made Cass look a better defender. However, Gibbons re-introduction has also made Smith a better defender and Worrall look better at wing back. Taylor’s re-intro not only improved the midfield but made Harratt look better and, consequently Wilson because he was able to drop deeper. 

By some miracle, in the last two games of the season we have stumbled across what I would argue is our optimum team, all without Conlon and Proctor.

I completely agree about stumbling across our optimum team.

There was a beautiful symmetry about the component parts.

Arguably ably assisted by the ideal opposition.

On 30/05/2022 at 22:13, Bede said:

Yeah, proudly wearing his medal.  Had time for everyone.  Bumped into them afterwards outside too.  Great bunch.

My wife and daughters met Kian and his (very proud) Dad in the lift at the Ibis hotel after the game. He obviously kept his medal on all night (and who can blame him?)

IMG_0953.thumb.jpeg.7943ded8a257573f53e6725d01e7a544.jpeg

On 31/05/2022 at 17:04, leedsvaliant said:

Just to top off a cracking day, I had to get the train back to Stoke on my own after a couple of pints with a mate on Baker Street and other people going their different ways.

Got chatting to a great family from Trent Vegas. They teased me for buying m and s sandwiches for the journey home and living in the 'posh' part of town, but they were happy to listen to my drunken ramblings all the way back to Stoke! They even gave me another beer (although I probably shouldn't have drank it in Hindsight!).

I often find that the wider vale family are among the most welcoming and friendly folk.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

We were the family from Trent Vegas and it was a great journey home , and was nice to mix with fellow vale fans especially ones that have M&S sandwiches lol , we’re one big family us vale fans and Saturday proved that all the best for the future pal and we’ll definitely see you around !!

Up the Vale 

We were the family from Trent Vegas and it was a great journey home , and was nice to mix with fellow vale fans especially ones that have M&S sandwiches lol , we’re one big family us vale fans and Saturday proved that all the best for the future pal and we’ll definitely see you around !!
Up the Vale 

Fantastic! Apologies for my state of drunkenness...I'm only just feeling better today but the company and the beer was appreciated! Up the Vale and hopefully see you again at vale or some other Vale related place!

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

8 hours ago, SFBT said:

I completely agree about stumbling across our optimum team.

There was a beautiful symmetry about the component parts.

Arguably ably assisted by the ideal opposition.

I think of Connor Hall hadn't missed the Newport game we'd have got auto promotion.

And then missed Wembley..

7 minutes ago, DazFred said:

I think of Connor Hall hadn't missed the Newport game we'd have got auto promotion.

And then missed Wembley..

That's the sheer beauty of this season!

So many ups and downs, followed by a very happy ending!

A proper rom com 😄

Archived