onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POF Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

I want Vale fans to enjoy a bit of success, but I'm also growing a bit worried as to the level of gloating we're doing. We berated Swindon for that before the second leg and look how that ended.

We've still got to win Saturday or we're going to look a bit daft. I can see opposition fans doubling down on the 'pigs' thing if we turn up with loads of them and then bottle it. Drawing a massive target on our backs and it's going to be even more horrendous if we've got to go to Swindon, Crewe, and Walsall against next season.

Me being miserable, I know, but I worry that the drama of the Swindon games has lulled us into a bit of confidence. This is Port Vale Club de Futbol, remember. 

Advert

On 21/05/2022 at 10:41, mbycars said:

Last time we were in a play off final we beat West Brom home and away in the league and finished quite a few points ahead of them. I know you are joking but its a one off game and previous results don't mean anything 😥

I know that--just an attempt at a bit of levity to take away from the tension that I know we'll all be feeling in the run-up to Saturday and on the day itself!

I want Vale fans to enjoy a bit of success, but I'm also growing a bit worried as to the level of gloating we're doing. We berated Swindon for that before the second leg and look how that ended.
We've still got to win Saturday or we're going to look a bit daft. I can see opposition fans doubling down on the 'pigs' thing if we turn up with loads of them and then bottle it. Drawing a massive target on our backs and it's going to be even more horrendous if we've got to go to Swindon, Crewe, and Walsall against next season.
Me being miserable, I know, but I worry that the drama of the Swindon games has lulled us into a bit of confidence. This is Port Vale Club de Futbol, remember. 
Agreed. Ignore Swindon at Wembley they didn't make it. Concentrate on beating Mansfield, it is on a knife edge. It is how teams manage the occasion.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I feel much better about Saturday having seen how we played at home and how we were the much better team against the opposition with the best away record in the division,scored most goals away from home,who had been unchanged for 5 matches and won all of them.

We had huge pressure in the 2nd leg and were probably forced into playing more football due to Proctor being injured.

The team have showed their desire for promotion by coming from 2 goals down and behind in the shootout,to deservedly be in the final. 

All those are facts,so I don't think we are gloating. I'm looking forward to it

I've not seen anyone gloating over Mansfield nothing but mutual respect.

I think the role of us as fans is being a bit over thought out here. 

As far as I see it, our job is to turn up in numbers and support the team.

We can't do the bit of concentrating on the opposition, focussing on the job in hand and not being complacent. That's the job of the players and staff and all we can do is hope they are doing that, in exactly the same manner they approached the second-leg on Thursday.

Yes, we don't want opposition fans to laugh at us if we lose (and let's hope we don't) but let's face it, opposing fans will do that regardless of whether we continue to talk about Swindon or not...

44 minutes ago, DazFred said:

I feel much better about Saturday having seen how we played at home and how we were the much better team against the opposition with the best away record in the division,scored most goals away from home,who had been unchanged for 5 matches and won all of them.

We had huge pressure in the 2nd leg and were probably forced into playing more football due to Proctor being injured.

The team have showed their desire for promotion by coming from 2 goals down and behind in the shootout,to deservedly be in the final. 

All those are facts,so I don't think we are gloating. I'm looking forward to it

I just hope we can repeat the intensity levels that we achieved on Thursday--I was not only delighted with the result, but pleasantly surprised at the intensity of our play throughout most of the game, and especially that first half--we looked really good--I've even had a couple of non-aligned friends remark how good Vale looked.

I just hope we can repeat the intensity levels that we achieved on Thursday--I was not only delighted with the result, but pleasantly surprised at the intensity of our play throughout most of the game, and especially that first half--we looked really good--I've even had a couple of non-aligned friends remark how good Vale looked.
Also had sufficient recovery and preparation time, unlike the usual Saturday-Tuesday gap, as have Mansfield but we probably needed it more. Although adrenaline is a big help.

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:

Also had sufficient recovery and preparation time, unlike the usual Saturday-Tuesday gap, as have Mansfield but we probably needed it more. Although adrenaline is a big help.

Mansfield, of course, has had an additional day gap having played their semi-final on Wednesday, but as you say, it's not like the usual Sat/Tuesday/Saturday carousel, both teams will have had plenty of recovery time by Saturday.  It's going to be the team that best keeps their nerves under control given the big game atmosphere and excitement of playing at Wembley. That being said, the overall playing area and pitch size could be and advantage for us as it's certainly more akin to Vale Park than Mansfield's ground!

Here's hoping......Come on you Vale!

2 hours ago, maccapvfc said:

I'd agree with keeping the same team. Smith proved on Tuesday why he should be first choice CB - nothing against Martin and when he's played he's done nothing wrong but for me, Smith plays that role brilliantly.

It's also compelling that Wozza had one of this best games in recent months, which I put down to Gibbo playing the RCB role and overlapping him but giving sound re-assurance from a defensive perspective. That is a combination that I've been looking/waiting for, and I wasn't disappointed. 

Mansfield are going to be a really tricky game and on paper have a very good squad, but we've shown we can match them. Mansfield fans are acting similar to Swindon's, they think their team just need to turn up and we're beat.

One thing which could work in our favour, the size of the pitch. Mansfield pitch is relatively tight so not accustomed to a pitch of Wembley's size....it's only Monday, and my nerves are shot already! UTV - into these

Totally agree because anywhere other than CB Smith unfortunately is a liability. He struggles with a lack of pace and his distribution is woeful. He needs to be in the centre, I understand that it’s difficult playing out if position, but it was a bad shot he had that rattled Swindon’s post. I personally would like to see some near post activity from throw ins and corners. Also some short free kicks to the wingers when in the opposition half instead of just pumping it across to the far post. Let’s keep the opposition guessing, sometimes it’s a tad too predictable 

23 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Agreed. If we do then it can only stand us in good stead

45 minutes ago, robf said:

I think the role of us as fans is being a bit over thought out here. 

As far as I see it, our job is to turn up in numbers and support the team.

We can't do the bit of concentrating on the opposition, focussing on the job in hand and not being complacent. That's the job of the players and staff and all we can do is hope they are doing that, in exactly the same manner they approached the second-leg on Thursday.

Yes, we don't want opposition fans to laugh at us if we lose (and let's hope we don't) but let's face it, opposing fans will do that regardless of whether we continue to talk about Swindon or not...

I've already said I'm looking forward to it.

We got behind the team on Thursday. They gave us something to shout about with their performance on the pitch.

It's a two way process and it worked last Thursday

Archived