• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Pope Interview

5 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Hopefully we see some of the current crop come through, Eden Bailey and Ellis Jones look the most likely candidates

Possibly not 

• Like 1

Advert:

Pope was a graduate of the Alex academy, but he felt that the club didn’t value him, so he moved on. He obviously is a Vale legend but is now playing for Congleton. Is he bearing a grudge against Port Vale?

Advert:

Little side note... Popey public enemy number 1, John Askey...

Celebrating another promotion today, this time with York City through the playoffs. 

Maybe his man management isn't so shocking after all, York fans singing Askey's at the wheel today!

Talk about egg on your face. Everybody entitled to an opinion though.

• Like 2

A genuine question - has there been any public acknowledgement from Pope about reaching Wembley? I can't see any. For a man who was very, very keen to let the whole world know what he thought last summer, he's gone very quiet.

I recall reading Dodds, Enoch Andoh, Politic, and Ian Taylor congratulating us. Is our former captain + record scorer really so bitter about being rightly dropped and then released that he can't bring himself to say anything remotely positive?

Maybe one day he'll look in the mirror and begin to piece together why things ended the way they did. He could be in the directors box every week with his mates if things had ended more sensibly.

Should this thread not be moved to Port Vale Past, which is where, in my view, Tom Pope now firmly belongs?

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question - has there been any public acknowledgement from Pope about reaching Wembley? I can't see any. For a man who was very, very keen to let the whole world know what he thought last summer, he's gone very quiet.

I recall reading Dodds, Enoch Andoh, Politic, and Ian Taylor congratulating us. Is our former captain + record scorer really so bitter about being rightly dropped and then released that he can't bring himself to say anything remotely positive?

Maybe one day he'll look in the mirror and begin to piece together why things ended the way they did. He could be in the directors box every week with his mates if things had ended more sensibly.

Should this thread not be moved to Port Vale Past, which is where, in my view, Tom Pope now firmly belongs?

Knowing what he’s like off the pitch it really Dosent surprise me. He’s a <ovf censored> 

• Like 2

The bloke is deluded, and unable to accept his powers had long since left the building.  

Reminds me of the old Spitting Image Maggie Thatcher ‘I used to be Prime Minister you know’ - I can just imagine him sat in Scrimmys ‘I scored 33 in a season and could still do it now with the right service - now where’s me fags?’

• Like 1

Advert:

4 hours ago, Fordy said:

Popey was on sport at six on radio stoke last night speaking about the playoff final. I think he spoke quite well of the club.

The interview starts at 12:55

Thanks for this. I couldn't listen to it all as it felt like he was talking about it through gritted teeth. I'll never forget his comments about us not going up this season, and we might not get promoted but it only confirmed that the right decision was made to let him go.

On 23/05/2022 at 12:10, Trumpingtonvale said:

Nothing on social media but he’s written an article in the Sentinel, posted earlier today.

Yes - plenty of use of the word  ‘they’ not ‘we’!

• Like 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, robf said:

I don't really understand why the Sentinel persist with a column by him. 

It's now a while since he left and the structure/organisation of the club is radically different from when he was there, so I don't understand what insight he has to offer. 

I'd personally prefer to look back at his contributions on the pitch with fondness, rather than wondering what he's going to say next. 

Found it quite telling as well that he was nowhere to be seen at Wembley and there were no tweets from him - thought he’s supposed to be a vale fan? Meanwhile Birchall (who also says he’s a vale fan) was there in his vale shirt. Even Lee Hughes was there with his top off, and he’s not even a fan and was at the club for just a year.

Found it quite telling as well that he was nowhere to be seen at Wembley and there were no tweets from him - thought he’s supposed to be a vale fan? Meanwhile Birchall (who also says he’s a vale fan) was there in his vale shirt. Even Lee Hughes was there with his top off, and he’s not even a fan and was at the club for just a year.

Kind hard be there and in Portugal at the same time