• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Pope Interview

Advert:

He arrogantly walked through our summer signings during the podcast last summer & I vividly remember him calling out the players who had left as better players than the ones who had come in to replace them.

Well Tom... we've finished 5th & would've walked the top 3 had we not had such an unfortunate season off the pitch. Your lot scraped us to mid table last season after flirting with relegation for the majority. So stick that in your pipe.

We might not go up this season but you've already been proven wrong. This is a squad & staff that will get us up eventually.

His tweets are a joke, calling out Conlon's ability as a captain. It's not all about being one of the lads Tom & being able to have a laugh & a joke. It's about leading by example & living the right way, respecting the club who have given you the armband.

Genuinely hope his testimonial goes well. I won't be there.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

I think the tweet with the sideswipe at Conlon is pretty disgusting.

The same Conlon who has been scouting , the same Conlon who has come onto a few away pitches on his crutches to thank the away support. 

That Conlon eh Tom ?

Absolutely no need for those comments, obviously i don't know Conlon from Adam but from his interviews and demeanour and the way folk speak of him is the very reason he is captain and a worthy one at that. 

Completely agree with every single word of this. Tom Conlon is a hundred times the person Pope is in terms of leadership and professionalism as well as being a very talented player. We are extremely lucky to have him.

• Like 7

From memory, the academy has produced four decent established first team players in my time (Smith, Gibbons, Paynter and Birchall). Charlie Raglan, Morsy and Prosser have had decent careers since leaving us.

If ever an academy needed a shake up, it's ours.

Anthony Gardner as well?

Anthony Gardner as well?
Bit before my time (I probably saw him but don't remember) but yes you're right. Still an abysmal return.

Hopefully we see some of the current crop come through, Eden Bailey and Ellis Jones look the most likely candidates

Advert:

I would of happily gone to any Pope testimonial even after his podcast comments but the tweet about Conlon has done it for me,no need at all for that,he seems a very bitter man that has seriously tinged his reputation with a lot of fans imo

I wont attend any testimonial for him now

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

He arrogantly walked through our summer signings during the podcast last summer & I vividly remember him calling out the players who had left as better players than the ones who had come in to replace them.

Well Tom... we've finished 5th & would've walked the top 3 had we not had such an unfortunate season off the pitch. Your lot scraped us to mid table last season after flirting with relegation for the majority. So stick that in your pipe.

We might not go up this season but you've already been proven wrong. This is a squad & staff that will get us up eventually.

His tweets are a joke, calling out Conlon's ability as a captain. It's not all about being one of the lads Tom & being able to have a laugh & a joke. It's about leading by example & living the right way, respecting the club who have given you the armband.

Genuinely hope his testimonial goes well. I won't be there.

Completely agree, especially with what a captain should and shouldn't be.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PortVale89 said:

Yeah Pope is proper anti vale. I wouldn't attend a game for him now.

Yeah it's a strange one for a "life long fan" I understand he may of been mistreated or not given the opportunity he thinks he deserved, but he must still have mates in this team, so why would you not want anything but success for them and also the team you "support"

I loved Popey as a player, but he's not half got a gob on him.

Get behind your club.

• Like 4

Advert:

3 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

The majority of comments on here capture my thoughts. Mr Pope did not learn from his first one game ban for twitter comments.  He continued to spout rubbish, and that led to him missing the first 6 games of season 20/21. He never recovered from that poor start and his fitness and readiness for games was seriously diminished.  Two managers during that season declined to pick him very much, that tells a story.

His disrespectful comments about some Manchester City players were laughable coming from a Div 2 player.  His post full of fantasy about his scoring 30 or 40 goals a season if he was in the Premier League evidences that he lacks the wit to write clever humour.  He has zero humility.

Worse of all his continued sly digs at our management and Captain seem to me to evidence a bitter and twisted mindset from an individual who has  been found out. I never warmed to him as a person, although I respected him as a player for what he did on the pitch.

I believe he was a negative influence in the dressing room because although he was a major presence his standards for fitness, lifestyle, use of social media and PR did not set the right tone for young players who are easily influenced.

If Mr Pope wishes to be seen in a positive light by fans in his retirement from his playing days then he needs to learn from his numerous past mistakes.  At the moment he seems intent on repeating them.

As a lifelong Port Vale fan and our second ever highest goalscorer he still has enormous credit in the bank, he needs to ensure that goodwill does not slip away by his peevish comments.

Whatever send off he may receive,it wouldn't be good enough in his eyes,he still moan about it... not enough there, asked the wrong guest players, didn't do me justice...no class

One of the reasons we liked Tom so much as a player was that he is also a fan.

He no longer plays for the vale but is still a fan. I have no issues with him voicing his football opinions like any fan can and variety of opinion is a good thing.

This might be a bad comparison, but think about all those ex man u pundits that never say what they truly think about their old club. Then there is roy keane who goes in two footed on everything. Pope is somewhere in between. Whatever you think of him now, he is his own man.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Pope the player will always be remembered and honoured as the legend.

Pope the person has always been a plank and weapon. 

When he said the comment about vale finishing midtable , just showed his bitterness sadly.

Bringing in Proctor and Wilson over an ageing Pope , an injury prone Cullen and Donkey Robinson is DC best bit of business.

Edited by boslemportvale91
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

He no longer plays for the vale but is still a fan. I have no issues with him voicing his football opinions like any fan can and variety of opinion is a good thing.

This might be a bad comparison, but think about all those ex man u pundits that never say what they truly think about their old club. Then there is roy keane who goes in two footed on everything. Pope is somewhere in between. Whatever you think of him now, he is his own man.

I tend towards this view myself.  I’ve not read, or heard, everything he’s said.  I wouldn’t expect to agree with all of his comments.  I appreciate he may not easily come to terms with the way his time at the club came to an end.  He was, in the main, a good player for us, an integral part of a promotion winning team.  I’ll remember him for that rather than some half baked comments on social media.

Advert:

20 minutes ago, Rory said:

I wonder if Vale will still allow a testimonial to happen.

That’s a good question. After the comments about the current club captain I’d doubt it

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Which fan do you know that would be so bitter about his own team getting promotion? And when those pundits criticise Man U, they do so on actual legitimate grounds. Pope’s was because he was spitting his dummy out.

Edited by Powerline
  • Like 1