onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope Interview

6 minutes ago, Powerline said:

So because he’s our leading scorer should we just keep him on till he wants to leave? We can’t afford to pay his wages for that. This season he would’ve been probably our 5th choice striker.

Who said that? 
But just released without even a thank u or a chance say bye to the fans has obviously hurt him and for all his daft comments on twitter he didn’t really deserve that it’s a shame for both sides really 

Advert

5 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

a chance say bye to the fans

@Packmoor_vale He's got a testimonial match plus a range of testimonial events lined up.

That was out in the public domain when Pope was released as per this clipping from the articles at the time:

In a statement it said: “Port Vale would like to say a huge thank you to Tom Pope who will leave the club next month for his incredible service.

“Port Vale looks forward to welcoming Tom and his family to Vale Park in the years to come and honouring him at future events where Vale supporters can pay tribute and with a legacy project at the club.”

Manager Darrell Clarke gave testament to Pope’s contribution during their time together.

He said: “Since I’ve been at the club Tom has been the consummate professional. He’s worked hard and helped me and the dressing room.

“He’s had a difficult season with injuries but his commitment to the cause has been first class – as you’d expect of a club legend – and his record will stand the test of time.”

What more did he want???

17 minutes ago, robf said:

@Packmoor_vale He's got a testimonial match plus a range of testimonial events lined up.

That was out in the public domain when Pope was released as per this clipping from the articles at the time:

In a statement it said: “Port Vale would like to say a huge thank you to Tom Pope who will leave the club next month for his incredible service.

“Port Vale looks forward to welcoming Tom and his family to Vale Park in the years to come and honouring him at future events where Vale supporters can pay tribute and with a legacy project at the club.”

Manager Darrell Clarke gave testament to Pope’s contribution during their time together.

He said: “Since I’ve been at the club Tom has been the consummate professional. He’s worked hard and helped me and the dressing room.

“He’s had a difficult season with injuries but his commitment to the cause has been first class – as you’d expect of a club legend – and his record will stand the test of time.”

What more did he want???

Fair enough 

Still no date though for his testimonial or any other events u mention 

He has let himself down with tweets which for me they just go over my head though but reading so many comments on here our perfect fans won’t be going anyway 

It’s all a bit sad for me 

6 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Fair enough 

He has let himself down with tweets which for me they just go over my head though but reading so many comments on here our perfect fans won’t be going anyway 

It is sad mate.

I'm one of those perfect fans you describe.

You don't bite the hands that feed. His remarks are idiotic and his slagging off of Tom Conlon was the final straw for me.

A legend a memorable player up there in history, besmirched by being a tool .

It is sad mate.
I'm one of those perfect fans you describe.
You don't bite the hands that feed. His remarks are idiotic and his slagging off of Tom Conlon was the final straw for me.
A legend a memorable player up there in history, besmirched by being a tool .

Totally agree

Pope calling Dave Flitcroft a scum bag and mocking his accent in that interview now looks rather silly

I just hope that he comes out and says he was wrong

I doubt it though

15 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Fair enough 

I'm also one of those perfect fans checking in. His comments on the Vale podcast was long enough after his release that they couldn't be passed off as a knee-jerk reaction to being let go. "If Vale get promoted, which they won't" are not the words of someone who supports the club. 

It's no surprise to me that his time at the club ended the way it did. While he was at Port Vale it felt like he was always only a few days away from another silly comment on Twitter. It was unnecessary and he just couldn't help himself and when he was disciplined for it, he would always blame it on something else. He has a self-destruct button - the Man City goal and Tweet about the Rothschilds a few days later is a good example of that. That season he was match banned twice I think just for comments on social media, 6 matches for the Rothschild tweet alone. And there were people that said he should have stayed "for another season". I wonder how many of those people still think that should have happened?

He scored some important goals for the club but he was never my hero because as much as he netted, his actions had repercussions for the club, damaging the reputation.

He might be on holiday right now but they do have the internet abroad and if he wanted to pass on his congratulations and meant it, he would have done it by now. I think he's surprised we did it the season after he left.

1 hour ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Yeah he has he didn’t like the way he was released after all he is our leading scorer since the war so he has a point but suppose the it’s not the clubs fault it was covid times 

Must have a bad internet connection poor soul

Awfully quiet on social media more then usual...

I wonder if he will apologise or at least congratulate the team on their promotion? Especially when he said we would finish mid table at best. Then the comment of DC being a scumbag and Monty was unstable. Then the sly dig at Conlon on twitter. 

Will always remember and be grateful for the promotion season and the man city day out but that's tarnished his legacy for me. Especially when the club stood by him countless times when he made bone head comments on twitter again and again. 

Stuff his testimonial. Give it to Yates or Dodds. 

Promotion team vs promotion team.

Micky Adams vs Darell Clarke

Would be a nice way to honour a few of the players from that promotion side who were great servants. Plus Popey could play but not make it all about him?

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

Would be a nice way to honour a few of the players from that promotion side who were great servants. Plus Popey could play but not make it all about him?

Only if they invite Ryan Burge. I'd pay money to see gibbo and Hall run through him 

Probably not Daniel Jones though for Doug Loft sake...

16 minutes ago, Emile said:

That's a really good call imo

Archived