onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope Interview

A genuine question - has there been any public acknowledgement from Pope about reaching Wembley? I can't see any. For a man who was very, very keen to let the whole world know what he thought last summer, he's gone very quiet.

I recall reading Dodds, Enoch Andoh, Politic, and Ian Taylor congratulating us. Is our former captain + record scorer really so bitter about being rightly dropped and then released that he can't bring himself to say anything remotely positive?

Maybe one day he'll look in the mirror and begin to piece together why things ended the way they did. He could be in the directors box every week with his mates if things had ended more sensibly.

Should this thread not be moved to Port Vale Past, which is where, in my view, Tom Pope now firmly belongs?

Advert

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A genuine question - has there been any public acknowledgement from Pope about reaching Wembley? I can't see any. For a man who was very, very keen to let the whole world know what he thought last summer, he's gone very quiet.

I recall reading Dodds, Enoch Andoh, Politic, and Ian Taylor congratulating us. Is our former captain + record scorer really so bitter about being rightly dropped and then released that he can't bring himself to say anything remotely positive?

Maybe one day he'll look in the mirror and begin to piece together why things ended the way they did. He could be in the directors box every week with his mates if things had ended more sensibly.

Should this thread not be moved to Port Vale Past, which is where, in my view, Tom Pope now firmly belongs?

Knowing what he’s like off the pitch it really Dosent surprise me. He’s a <ovf censored> 

The bloke is deluded, and unable to accept his powers had long since left the building.  

Reminds me of the old Spitting Image Maggie Thatcher ‘I used to be Prime Minister you know’ - I can just imagine him sat in Scrimmys ‘I scored 33 in a season and could still do it now with the right service - now where’s me fags?’

4 hours ago, Fordy said:

Popey was on sport at six on radio stoke last night speaking about the playoff final. I think he spoke quite well of the club.

The interview starts at 12:55

Thanks for this. I couldn't listen to it all as it felt like he was talking about it through gritted teeth. I'll never forget his comments about us not going up this season, and we might not get promoted but it only confirmed that the right decision was made to let him go.

I don't really understand why the Sentinel persist with a column by him. 

It's now a while since he left and the structure/organisation of the club is radically different from when he was there, so I don't understand what insight he has to offer. 

I'd personally prefer to look back at his contributions on the pitch with fondness, rather than wondering what he's going to say next. 

1 minute ago, robf said:

I don't really understand why the Sentinel persist with a column by him. 

It's now a while since he left and the structure/organisation of the club is radically different from when he was there, so I don't understand what insight he has to offer. 

I'd personally prefer to look back at his contributions on the pitch with fondness, rather than wondering what he's going to say next. 

Found it quite telling as well that he was nowhere to be seen at Wembley and there were no tweets from him - thought he’s supposed to be a vale fan? Meanwhile Birchall (who also says he’s a vale fan) was there in his vale shirt. Even Lee Hughes was there with his top off, and he’s not even a fan and was at the club for just a year.

Found it quite telling as well that he was nowhere to be seen at Wembley and there were no tweets from him - thought he’s supposed to be a vale fan? Meanwhile Birchall (who also says he’s a vale fan) was there in his vale shirt. Even Lee Hughes was there with his top off, and he’s not even a fan and was at the club for just a year.

Kind hard be there and in Portugal at the same time

On 18/05/2022 at 14:30, Phil1965 said:

Pope was a graduate of the Alex academy, but he felt that the club didn’t value him, so he moved on. He obviously is a Vale legend but is now playing for Congleton. Is he bearing a grudge against Port Vale?

Yeah he has he didn’t like the way he was released after all he is our leading scorer since the war so he has a point but suppose the it’s not the clubs fault it was covid times 

2 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Yeah he has he didn’t like the way he was released after all he is our leading scorer since the war so he has a point but suppose the it’s not the clubs fault it was covid times 

So because he’s our leading scorer should we just keep him on till he wants to leave? We can’t afford to pay his wages for that. This season he would’ve been probably our 5th choice striker.

Archived