onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope Interview

41 minutes ago, PortVale89 said:

Yeah Pope is proper anti vale. I wouldn't attend a game for him now.

Yeah it's a strange one for a "life long fan" I understand he may of been mistreated or not given the opportunity he thinks he deserved, but he must still have mates in this team, so why would you not want anything but success for them and also the team you "support"

I loved Popey as a player, but he's not half got a gob on him.

Get behind your club.

Advert

3 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

The majority of comments on here capture my thoughts. Mr Pope did not learn from his first one game ban for twitter comments.  He continued to spout rubbish, and that led to him missing the first 6 games of season 20/21. He never recovered from that poor start and his fitness and readiness for games was seriously diminished.  Two managers during that season declined to pick him very much, that tells a story.

His disrespectful comments about some Manchester City players were laughable coming from a Div 2 player.  His post full of fantasy about his scoring 30 or 40 goals a season if he was in the Premier League evidences that he lacks the wit to write clever humour.  He has zero humility.

Worse of all his continued sly digs at our management and Captain seem to me to evidence a bitter and twisted mindset from an individual who has  been found out. I never warmed to him as a person, although I respected him as a player for what he did on the pitch.

I believe he was a negative influence in the dressing room because although he was a major presence his standards for fitness, lifestyle, use of social media and PR did not set the right tone for young players who are easily influenced.

If Mr Pope wishes to be seen in a positive light by fans in his retirement from his playing days then he needs to learn from his numerous past mistakes.  At the moment he seems intent on repeating them.

As a lifelong Port Vale fan and our second ever highest goalscorer he still has enormous credit in the bank, he needs to ensure that goodwill does not slip away by his peevish comments.

Whatever send off he may receive,it wouldn't be good enough in his eyes,he still moan about it... not enough there, asked the wrong guest players, didn't do me justice...no class

One of the reasons we liked Tom so much as a player was that he is also a fan.

He no longer plays for the vale but is still a fan. I have no issues with him voicing his football opinions like any fan can and variety of opinion is a good thing.

This might be a bad comparison, but think about all those ex man u pundits that never say what they truly think about their old club. Then there is roy keane who goes in two footed on everything. Pope is somewhere in between. Whatever you think of him now, he is his own man.

Pope the player will always be remembered and honoured as the legend.

Pope the person has always been a plank and weapon. 

When he said the comment about vale finishing midtable , just showed his bitterness sadly.

Bringing in Proctor and Wilson over an ageing Pope , an injury prone Cullen and Donkey Robinson is DC best bit of business.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

He no longer plays for the vale but is still a fan. I have no issues with him voicing his football opinions like any fan can and variety of opinion is a good thing.

This might be a bad comparison, but think about all those ex man u pundits that never say what they truly think about their old club. Then there is roy keane who goes in two footed on everything. Pope is somewhere in between. Whatever you think of him now, he is his own man.

I tend towards this view myself.  I’ve not read, or heard, everything he’s said.  I wouldn’t expect to agree with all of his comments.  I appreciate he may not easily come to terms with the way his time at the club came to an end.  He was, in the main, a good player for us, an integral part of a promotion winning team.  I’ll remember him for that rather than some half baked comments on social media.

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Which fan do you know that would be so bitter about his own team getting promotion? And when those pundits criticise Man U, they do so on actual legitimate grounds. Pope’s was because he was spitting his dummy out.

Little side note... Popey public enemy number 1, John Askey...

Celebrating another promotion today, this time with York City through the playoffs. 

Maybe his man management isn't so shocking after all, York fans singing Askey's at the wheel today!

Talk about egg on your face. Everybody entitled to an opinion though.

Archived