onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope Interview

1 hour ago, Dr Delgado said:

Its also strange how people purport to be Vale fans to gain favour to further their own ends. Is Mo Chaudrey a real Vale fan? Do I remember him leading the singing in the paddock?

I agree with everything you say apart from this sentence - I don't think Mo ever purported to be a Vale fan, but attended games when he looked to buy the club as any sensible investor would do prior to investing millions of pounds.

On Pope, Santa made an excellent post after his podcast last summer in which he very accurately picked up the sadness/bitterness in him having gone from local hero to nothing overnight. In a way it's understandable but he isn't doing himself any favours in the way in which he's handling it.

He could have easily got a nice job in the academy alongside his Congleton duties, with match-day hospitality, if he'd come out and thanked the club and kept on good terms. He's engaged in a bit of self-flagellation and seems to be doubling down. I personally won't attend a testimonial for him but that's simply because I've moved on from Pope.

Advert

17 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I agree with everything you say apart from this sentence - I don't think Mo ever purported to be a Vale fan, but attended games when he looked to buy the club as any sensible investor would do prior to investing millions of pounds.

On Pope, Santa made an excellent post after his podcast last summer in which he very accurately picked up the sadness/bitterness of him having gone from local hero to nothing overnight. In a way it's understandable but he isn't doing himself any favours in the way in which he's handling it.

He could have easily got a nice job in the academy alongside his Congleton duties, with match-day hospitality, if he'd come out and thanked the club and kept on good terms. He's engaged in a bit of self-flagellation and seems to be doubling down. I personally won't attend a testimonial for him but that's simply because I've moved on from Pope.

I'm happy to be corrected with regard to Chaudry, I may have confused him for a so called fan with his black and gold scarf campaign and so forth.

I firmly believe that we are now in the hands of owners who truly love our club and more importantly they have an understanding who it really belongs to. I know that fans can feel offended by a certain owner or manager but first and foremost the club comes first, that's why we have survived, we have had some dreadful managers and owners but we as fans believe in our club. Pope should be applauded not lauded, he should be welcomed at Vale Park but when it comes to the red carpet there would be one or two ahead of him in the queue (if in the unlikely event I was making the list).

46 minutes ago, Emile said:

Think he has insighted some of the negative feeling about the club from certain fans here at a time where things should be unbelievably positive compared to the last 10 years. 

I wouldn't attend a game for TP anymore sorry. 

Nothing to be sorry for.  I also will not attend, nor will any others of my 7 strong family group of season ticket holders.

As he himself revealed in his podcast his standards of professionalism once it wasn’t ‘all about him’ dropped significantly in terms of mid week drinking / general lifestyle and poor preparation because there was ‘no point’ as he knew he wasn’t guaranteed 90 minutes on a Saturday.  Compare this to Mel Benning - bit part player first half of the season, bombed out after the signing of Hussey in January, and yet  has come back in and played superbly in the last 2 months by keeping himself in shape ready to take any glimmer of opportunity.

Decent overall career goals record, but if you exclude the magnificent promotion return pretty average overall - and his tally on his return included penalties.  This with a team structure built all around him.

Since his understandable release (higher wage earner/ vastly diminishing goal return / poor attitude around the club as unable to accept Old Father Time had reduced his effectiveness / inability to run to play the pressing game DC wants / and that’s before you get to his injury!) he has happily talked down players from that era and the current squad.  I assume he has not set foot in the club since, and I take it all his ‘hangers on’ have stopped attending also now freebies not on offer.

In summary a sad end to his relationship with PVFC - local lad done well, but could not accept his time was up, and not got the good grace to express his disappointment whilst still showing his affection for ‘his club’.  For me I would not want him around the club as any sort of ambassador.

I never really liked Pope when he was a player at the Vale - obviously liked what he did for the team, but always thought he was a knob. Everything he’s done since his retirement has furthered that view. 

Quite funny really thinking back to his interview when he was slagging off Flitcroft and Clarke, saying Joyce was better than Walker etc. Look where we are now. He looks a right mug. He’s just a bitter man who I do not have the time of day for. No chance I’m going his testimonial and giving him money for beer and fags, I’d sooner flush 20 quid down the toilet.

I think the tweet with the sideswipe at Conlon is pretty disgusting.

The same Conlon who has been scouting , the same Conlon who has come onto a few away pitches on his crutches to thank the away support. 

That Conlon eh Tom ?

Absolutely no need for those comments, obviously i don't know Conlon from Adam but from his interviews and demeanour and the way folk speak of him is the very reason he is captain and a worthy one at that. 

55 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The same Conlon who has been scouting , the same Conlon who has come onto a few away pitches on his crutches to thank the away support. 

That Conlon eh Tom ?

Absolutely no need for those comments, obviously i don't know Conlon from Adam but from his interviews and demeanour and the way folk speak of him is the very reason he is captain and a worthy one at that. 

Certainly a more worthy captain than Pope. Best thing Askey did was take away the captaincy from him.

The majority of comments on here capture my thoughts. Mr Pope did not learn from his first one game ban for twitter comments.  He continued to spout rubbish, and that led to him missing the first 6 games of season 20/21. He never recovered from that poor start and his fitness and readiness for games was seriously diminished.  Two managers during that season declined to pick him very much, that tells a story.

His disrespectful comments about some Manchester City players were laughable coming from a Div 2 player.  His post full of fantasy about his scoring 30 or 40 goals a season if he was in the Premier League evidences that he lacks the wit to write clever humour.  He has zero humility.

Worse of all his continued sly digs at our management and Captain seem to me to evidence a bitter and twisted mindset from an individual who has  been found out. I never warmed to him as a person, although I respected him as a player for what he did on the pitch.

I believe he was a negative influence in the dressing room because although he was a major presence his standards for fitness, lifestyle, use of social media and PR did not set the right tone for young players who are easily influenced.

If Mr Pope wishes to be seen in a positive light by fans in his retirement from his playing days then he needs to learn from his numerous past mistakes.  At the moment he seems intent on repeating them.

As a lifelong Port Vale fan and our second ever highest goalscorer he still has enormous credit in the bank, he needs to ensure that goodwill does not slip away by his peevish comments.

He arrogantly walked through our summer signings during the podcast last summer & I vividly remember him calling out the players who had left as better players than the ones who had come in to replace them.

Well Tom... we've finished 5th & would've walked the top 3 had we not had such an unfortunate season off the pitch. Your lot scraped us to mid table last season after flirting with relegation for the majority. So stick that in your pipe.

We might not go up this season but you've already been proven wrong. This is a squad & staff that will get us up eventually.

His tweets are a joke, calling out Conlon's ability as a captain. It's not all about being one of the lads Tom & being able to have a laugh & a joke. It's about leading by example & living the right way, respecting the club who have given you the armband.

Genuinely hope his testimonial goes well. I won't be there.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

That Conlon eh Tom ?

Completely agree with every single word of this. Tom Conlon is a hundred times the person Pope is in terms of leadership and professionalism as well as being a very talented player. We are extremely lucky to have him.

From memory, the academy has produced four decent established first team players in my time (Smith, Gibbons, Paynter and Birchall). Charlie Raglan, Morsy and Prosser have had decent careers since leaving us.

If ever an academy needed a shake up, it's ours.

Anthony Gardner as well?

Anthony Gardner as well?
Bit before my time (I probably saw him but don't remember) but yes you're right. Still an abysmal return.

Hopefully we see some of the current crop come through, Eden Bailey and Ellis Jones look the most likely candidates

I would of happily gone to any Pope testimonial even after his podcast comments but the tweet about Conlon has done it for me,no need at all for that,he seems a very bitter man that has seriously tinged his reputation with a lot of fans imo

I wont attend any testimonial for him now

2 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

He arrogantly walked through our summer signings during the podcast last summer & I vividly remember him calling out the players who had left as better players than the ones who had come in to replace them.

Well Tom... we've finished 5th & would've walked the top 3 had we not had such an unfortunate season off the pitch. Your lot scraped us to mid table last season after flirting with relegation for the majority. So stick that in your pipe.

We might not go up this season but you've already been proven wrong. This is a squad & staff that will get us up eventually.

His tweets are a joke, calling out Conlon's ability as a captain. It's not all about being one of the lads Tom & being able to have a laugh & a joke. It's about leading by example & living the right way, respecting the club who have given you the armband.

Genuinely hope his testimonial goes well. I won't be there.

Completely agree, especially with what a captain should and shouldn't be.

Archived