onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope Interview

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

I'm confused. Pope's interview was a year ago now, why has a thread been started on it today? Are we blaming Pope for yesterday's defeat?

I had a feeling that Clarke might have kept on McKirdy last summer but it turned out not to be the case. Maybe it wouldn't have worked and McKirdy needed a fresh start in order to kick on. If he had stayed here then it's quite possible he would be blamed for any dips in form and people would slate the management team for offering him a contract.

As for Pope on Twitter, hadn't he deleted his account? He is entitled to his opinions anyway, his views on the current Vale set-up are tainted by his own bitterness but at least he actually knows what he's talking about with football. His world views and conspiracies are extremely stupid.

He’s back on Twitter and someone asked him about McKirdy. I have zero problem with him answering that question (he said he was a good lad) and I don’t even mind the fact that he said McKirdy needed an arm around him and didn’t get one (that’s football)

What I do have a problem with is the sly dig at “the current captain” (see picture of tweet)… there is no need for it, he knows people will blindly follow his opinion and it damaged the complex relationship between fans / players and club.

Thankfully he seems to have come to his senses and deleted the tweet. 

As I said before… he has an opportunity to be a real force for good at the club. Let’s hope he takes that path rather than the one where he comes across as bitter with a vendetta that he will satisfy to sooth his own ego to the detriment of the club.

Advert

1 hour ago, Santa said:

I’ve heard there’s been a bit of resistance towards Flitcroft since he’s been at Vale, particularly with the changes he wants to make with the academy. Whether things needed shaking up anyway is potentially a matter for debate but he certainly ccamt be worried about making too many friends 

Good.

The football side of the club needed a good shake up. 

The trend line shows (a few ups and downs aside) that we were a club heading south built on a poor platform of football processes.

Viva La revolution 

23 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

As I said before… he has an opportunity to be a real force for good at the club. Let’s hope he takes that path rather than the one where he comes across as bitter with a vendetta that he will satisfy to sooth his own ego to the detriment of the club.

So why ain’t the club or supporters club giving him a proper send off that will surely only help both parties involved after all he is one of us 

So why ain’t the club or supporters club giving him a proper send off that will surely only help both parties involved after all he is one of us 
They are, it's been talked about at numerous supporters club meetings and Mark porter talked about it on the Ale and Vale podcast. Testimonial to be played one Sunday near to or just after the start of the season.

I’ve heard there’s been a bit of resistance towards Flitcroft since he’s been at Vale, particularly with the changes he wants to make with the academy. Whether things needed shaking up anyway is potentially a matter for debate but he certainly ccamt be worried about making too many friends.
As for Pope, I liked the things he did as a footballer but I have zero interest in what he has to say. 
From memory, the academy has produced four decent established first team players in my time (Smith, Gibbons, Paynter and Birchall). Charlie Raglan, Morsy and Prosser have had decent careers since leaving us.

If ever an academy needed a shake up, it's ours.

9 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

From memory, the academy has produced four decent established first team players in my time (Smith, Gibbons, Paynter and Birchall). Charlie Raglan, Morsy and Prosser have had decent careers since leaving us.

If ever an academy needed a shake up, it's ours.

That’s pretty sobering to think that gibbo is the last one to make it and we’ve had no one in what 5 years since he came through.

17 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

I think Top Pope has encouraged an erosion of the respect and affection most fans had for him. As a league 1 & 2 player he did quite well for us and it could be argued his goals kept us in the football league but where is his dignity and class post Vale?

It's bizarre how many people who have been integral parts of the Port Vale machine over the years who then cut ties with the club because of who the owners or management are. It's only the fans that remain a constant, who are there through thick and thin, rain or shine. 

Its also strange how people purport to be Vale fans to gain favour to further their own ends. Is Mo Chaudrey a real Vale fan? Do I remember him leading the singing in the paddock? What happened to lifelong Vale fan Bill Bratt does he still come to games? I wonder what Smurthwaite did with his black and white scarf?

I think even our greatest and most loyal servant, Roy Sproson stayed away from Vale for years.

It's the fans that matter, the moaner who sits behind you in the paddock, that family of four in the Lorne Street. Tom Pope should consider himself lucky to have played for our club and given his own song, he has fulfilled every Vale fan's dream, What is his problem? 

26 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
46 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

They are, it's been talked about at numerous supporters club meetings and Mark porter talked about it on the Ale and Vale podcast. Testimonial to be played one Sunday near to or just after the start of the season.

Sound 👍

8 hours ago, butt lane vale fan said:

In other words mate, just because Pope slated Flitcroft, do certain fans now share the same view, just because Tom says so, without using a rational judgement. Thus causing division in the club and fan base.

Pope is quick to have little digs at management over Mckirdy but never once had a dig at Adams for basically doing the same with Roberts.

In my view Adams was correct to ship Roberts out just the same as Clarke was right to get rid of Mckirdy.

The only question I'd like answered is; was McKirdy shipped out for playing reasons or, because of an attitude problem?  If it's the former, (after all, he hadn't exactly set Vale Park alight) then for my money that's acceptable, if it's because he was a bit of a handful in the dressing room, then in my book, that's an abdication of management responsibility as I always feltthat  he showed some good promise--and no, I'm not just saying that now, I did genuinely feel it at that time.

However, I guess that's the nature of football--some players will inevitably 'slip through the net' occasionally at whatever level.

1 hour ago, Packmoor_vale said:

If he keeps going as he is doing, it won't matter because no one will turn up anyway. 12 months ago I would have been there without thinking, now ... its in the balance tbh. Proper legends like John Rudge - I would walk on broken glass for the man.

There was a bit in the Ale and the Vale podcast last summer which I don't think I'll ever forget when I think of Pope. He said "If they get promotion next season...which they won't." 

I think it says everything you need to know about how bitter he is. I understand he must have been wrestling with the feeling that he is getting near the end of his time as a footballer but don't say you're a Vale supporter if you're going to gloat if they don't get out of the league. 

52 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That’s pretty sobering to think that gibbo is the last one to make it and we’ve had no one in what 5 years since he came through.

Who was the kid we lost to Man City? 

Think he has insighted some of the negative feeling about the club from certain fans here at a time where things should be unbelievably positive compared to the last 10 years. 

I wouldn't attend a game for TP anymore sorry. 

6 minutes ago, Emile said:

Think he has insighted some of the negative feeling about the club from certain fans here at a time where things should be unbelievably positive compared to the last 10 years. 

I wouldn't attend a game for TP anymore sorry. 

Me neither. I don’t think many would now either. The bloke is a tool. 

Archived