Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

3 easy steps to victory:

Step 1 - Play the Karate Kid on a loop on all screens at the ground for the whole of tomorrow, before convincing Covolan that McKirdy has doinked his missus. That's McKirdy subjected to the crane technique as he disembarks the Swindon team coach, and out of the game.

Step 2 - Do not, under any circumstances, give Nathan Smith the ball at his feet, particularly in an attempt to play out from the back.

Step 3 - Force feed Proctor Weetabix as his pre-match meal.

4.0 Vale. Jobs a good un

Advert:

Posted (edited)

All this talk of the Hamil end has just jogged my memory back to 1969. I had just got my second hand SX200 Lambretta motor scooter from Norman & Birches and had got a date with a girl I fancied from Birches Head. Picked her up and where did I take her. Silly me paid for her and myself to watch the Vale and we stood on the mound at the back of the Hamil end, having a bit of a kiss and cuddle as you do. Kept thinking that I hope my scooters alright on the car park because we had a lot of Lemmy type bikers in Burslem back in those days. Only saw her again once after that, I don't  know if it was me or the Vale she didn't like.  Ps I cant remember her bloody name. 🤣😂😂🤣😂

Edited by barny61
Ps added
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Swindon fan - I come in peace.

For both clubs, Thursday is massive. Obviously I’m hoping for a positive result, but it’s honestly too close to call for me. It’s definitely going to be about those few ‘moments’. I do genuinely believe whoever gets over the line will win at Wembley. Northampton I can’t see making it, they appear to have run out of steam if I’m honest. Mansfield, well it’s f***ing Mansfield, who cares honestly.

Us Swindon fans, it’s sad for the real football fans that we come across as arrogant because as a fan base I don’t think we are. I think the excitement around the club is that we’re kind of riding the crest of a wave currently, throughout the club. I’ve seen a few people mention us being in the Premier league, it did happen but was also nearly 30 years ago. What I would add to that is that since that point we’ve had shyster owner after shyster owner, they’ve either sucked the club dry or added millions in debt, or both in most cases (which also explains the embarrassing stand you were in on Sunday. Seriously it’s been used maybe 10 times max in the last decade). The club was a judges ruling away from going bust last summer, it was a hostile takeover by the current owner to save the club from a guy who appeared to have a similar plan to the guy who sank Bury FC. I think we are probably the closest anyone has come since Bury, most of us fans thought it would happen, no one getting paid, stadium fenced off, no comms, court cases.. Thankfully the new owner won this battle! It was at this point 2-3 weeks before the start of the season, we had 4 or 5 players contracted, no manager, no back room staff, no medical staff, transfer embargo that we are still under. Our honest target this season was to stay up, maintain league status, we were odds on before a ball was kicked. All of this combined is why much of the fan base is excited, positive, what has been achieved in the space of a year is nothing short of incredible. It’s very much a case of, we’ve got our club back.

For me there are a lot of parallels between you and us, similar type clubs with a similar history, original stadiums (no matter how dilapidated parts of it now are), a solid core of lifetime fans who have been through the ringer more than once with their team. I honestly wish you all the best as fans and a club, Thursday - what will be will be.

Last but not least, an honest view on players.
Obviously I’ll start with McKirdy, he’s done incredibly well this season he really has. Does that come with baggage, definitely but for now he seems to be being managed in the way he needs. Is every Swindon fan waiting for the wheels to fall off, yes of course we are. For now I’ll simply back the guy because he is playing for the shirt.

Williams, a signing that came out of the blue really especially given he was at the Euros last year and has been in every Wales squad he’s been fit for this season. In league 2, we just don’t sign that sort of player, not in their 20’s anyway. There’s a bit more history with our manager and him as a kid, so I think he just wanted to play football. Has he wowed me this season, to be honest, no not really. I think he’s key for the dressing room though, pulls everyone together. 
The rest of the squad has some good guys, Louis Reed (who was pretty average by his standards on Sunday) has been immense this season, his range of passing is one if not two leagues higher. Jack Payne, frustrating at times but bags of ability. Manny Egbo has been awesome since being signed a few months back, I think when he went off on Sunday we looked so much weaker.

McKirdy and Williams - they’re shithouses, we all know it and we can all see it, it’s cringy at times it really is. They’re both players you love when they play for you, but absolutely detest when they play for the other team. Those calling to try and injure players though, you do need to get your heads checked!! Some have mentioned, McKirdy thrives off any abuse, he loves it and this season in particular has always turned up when he’s been getting that abuse. Away at Carlisle after his second I think, fans chucking burgers was a highlight. You won’t, I wouldn’t if it was me, but honestly silence and no reaction would throw him off his game more than anything else. 

So they are my honest views, I’ll wait for the pelters, but from one fan to another, I wish you all the best on Thursday, I think it’ll be an open game after the first 20 mins, may the best team win.

I noticed at the weekend the turnstyles at the bottom of the paddock, on the corner closest to Synetics car park and nearest the Paddock toilets had been knocked down.

Has this been mentioned anywhere? Presume this entry wont be back up and running for Thursday so the entry to the Paddock closest to the ticket office may be busy. Worth noting for anyone that uses them and a sensible idea to get there a even earlier than usual.

6 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

That last sentence is exactly the point I was making a couple of days ago.  If he wasn't good enough, fair enough, but if there was some potential (and clearly there is with 23 goals this season!) then why didn't the management get more out of him and keep him as a part of our set-up?

Or his previous four managers?

• Like 1

Advert:

And people call Starmer 'Captain Hindsight'! Did one single person on here mourn McKirdy's release? I guess the same people would be complaining that we'd released Theo if if he'd come good at Bradford. We've got one of the most important games in living memory in 2 days, stop whinging about ex players.

• Like 9

McKirdy when here looked like a show pony with very little interest in football. He's having one good season, like Pope did in 2013. He might have another good season next season or he might not if the going gets tough. Barely anybody would have kept him.
Sometimes players come good...it happens. The best way to shove it in these players faces is to win on Thursday and then his 20 odd goals mean f all.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 4

I listened to the swindon equivalent of ale & the vale today as was interested in how swindon fans see it.

Was pretty condisending stuff tbh, saying that they were going to send us a certificate from their local agricultural colleague due to our style of play. In fairness they did then go on to say we were hard but not dirty, and that swindon are overly snide with gamesmanship.

Thought it was interesting how they did think our midfield nullified theirs. They also went on a big old bit about flitcroft and his swindon team being solid/pragmatic with little flair which they think is basically the vale blueprint.

Ultimately I got the feeling that they think they are at wembley. Kind of an arrogance / dismissive undertone to it all.

The fact of the matter is we didnt play great in the first leg. It leads me to think that maybe they might underestimate us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barny61 said:

All this talk of the Hamil end has just jogged my memory back to 1969. I had just got my second hand SX200 Lambretta motor scooter from Norman & Birches and had got a date with a girl I fancied from Birches Head. Picked her up and where did I take her. Silly me paid for her and myself to watch the Vale and we stood on the mound at the back of the Hamil end, having a bit of a kiss and cuddle as you do. Kept thinking that I hope my scooters alright on the car park because we had a lot of Lemmy type bikers in Burslem back in those days. Only saw her again once after that, I don't  know if it was me or the Vale she didn't like.  Ps I cant remember her bloody name. 🤣😂😂🤣😂

I bet you remember the name you gave your bike though 😂 

My first mini was called eamonn, never had any girls from Birches head in it though 🤗

Advert:

Just watching 1000s of Forest fans on the pitch. Just hope Swindon fans stay off the pitch should they go through on Thursday.
I really can't see Vale fans standing by and watching on.

Turn the sprinklers on.
  • Haha 1

Just watching 1000s of Forest fans on the pitch. Just hope Swindon fans stay off the pitch should they go through on Thursday.
I really can't see Vale fans standing by and watching on.

Pretty horrific assault on Billy Sharp as well.
  • Like 1

I listened to the swindon equivalent of ale & the vale today as was interested in how swindon fans see it.
Was pretty condisending stuff tbh, saying that they were going to send us a certificate from their local agricultural colleague due to our style of play. In fairness they did then go on to say we were hard but not dirty, and that swindon are overly snide with gamesmanship.
Thought it was interesting how they did think our midfield nullified theirs. They also went on a big old bit about flitcroft and his swindon team being solid/pragmatic with little flair which they think is basically the vale blueprint.
Ultimately I got the feeling that they think they are at wembley. Kind of an arrogance / dismissive undertone to it all.
The fact of the matter is we didnt play great in the first leg. It leads me to think that maybe they might underestimate us. 

We had more possession than they did which makes it rather laughable really.

They come across as a really cocky club and the comments from their side do suggest they think job done. Maybe it is… but we’ve got to make sure we use those comments as huge motivation to try and turn it around. We finished above them so it’s hardly like we are not capable of getting a result is it.

Strange strange club… their comments on twitter and stuff. Really bizarre set of fans.
  • Like 2

We need to be faster to the ball, quicker to close them down, and make sure we cut their pace as they are much faster and slick, the crowd needs to intimidate the girly ponytailed egotist each time he receives the ball, and ensure he's close marked and never given chance to move more than two feet, otherwise it don't bear thinking about cus they ain't no pushover, there's to much at stake, and let Andy choose the team, he's this seasons real successful manager.

• Like 1

Advert:

35 minutes ago, valeblue said:

Hope the ref is strong and doesn’t let them especially Williams ref the game like they did Sunday 

And Coutts for Bristol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, valefan16 said:

We had more possession than they did which makes it rather laughable really.

They come across as a really cocky club and the comments from their side do suggest they think job done. Maybe it is… but we’ve got to make sure we use those comments as huge motivation to try and turn it around. We finished above them so it’s hardly like we are not capable of getting a result is it.

Strange strange club… their comments on twitter and stuff. Really bizarre set of fans.

It's called delusions of grandeur.

The entitled.

Etc etc

8 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I echo these thoughts.