Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

McKirdy will be loving this thread with all the attention he's getting. The guy is a total wum. Irritating to play against but if he's on your side you love him. Let's try and ignore him, play our own game and if we win then we can give him some back. He got lucky with his first goal the other day the ball should never have been put out for the corner. 

Advert:

11 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Given that 7th placed Chesterfield managed 9000 against huge away supported Woking yesterday in non league damn right we should sell this out.

Incredulous of what we need to do if we fall short of Full House signs. 

There will be circa 8000 at York on Saturday.National league North Playoff Final v Boston.John Askey,Kingsley James and Mark Goodlad are the management/coaching team at York.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I was at Hartlepool.  All I saw was exuberant celebrating similar to against Barrow and Oldham.  Maybe the surprise appearance of Clarke got emotions running but I personally don't think we over celebrated that day. 

Can only speak for myself but I didn't think it was a done deal ( genuinely not being wise after the event). 

Bristol was a must not lose , Walsall are Walsall and I certainly didn't fancy us at Exeter . We still had work to do and the group I travel away with were still balanced and cautious not celebrating promotion. 

I’d echo this.  Perhaps it was more of a buzz on the various social media outlets?

13 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Thursday evening is not comparible to a Sunday afternoon.

Fair comment, but it’s effectively the last home game of the season, with a Wembley appearance hanging on it.  Fans will be more than happy to go to Wembley so why not get down the park and help the lads over the line?

To be honest I’m not actually all that bothered so long as we sell a decent number, because I think the atmosphere sometimes suffers when there are too many “big gamers” in attendance.  I appreciate this may be controversial, fans of the future and all that.

• Like 3

According to a former player who was with him at Vale, McKirdy was fine and it just didn’t work out for him at the club. Not helped by a change of Manager.
i think people have it in for him when they don’t really know him. I’m not a fan of some of his antics but if he was still our player you’d put up with them.
Maybe that's the case however when he took to the field he showed none of the enthusiasm he is showing for Swindon .
Carol deserved better but if they go through to final I'm blaming it on Askey why didn't he get a better reaction from the lad when it's obvious he had the talent .

• Like 1

Advert:

Fair comment, but it’s effectively the last home game of the season, with a Wembley appearance hanging on it.  Fans will be more than happy to go to Wembley so why not get down the park and help the lads over the line?
To be honest I’m not actually all that bothered so long as we sell a decent number, because I think the atmosphere sometimes suffers when there are too many “big gamers” in attendance.  I appreciate this may be controversial, fans of the future and all that.
Isn't that the point of going into the Hamil, getting all the singers together. As a coincidence Leicester are doing the same thing for next season, they have nominated a section of the ground for singing, STs will be able to swop their seats if in the wrong area.

46 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Maybe that's the case however when he took to the field he showed none of the enthusiasm he is showing for Swindon .
Carol deserved better but if they go through to final I'm blaming it on Askey why didn't he get a better reaction from the lad when it's obvious he had the talent .

That last sentence is exactly the point I was making a couple of days ago.  If he wasn't good enough, fair enough, but if there was some potential (and clearly there is with 23 goals this season!) then why didn't the management get more out of him and keep him as a part of our set-up?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JimmyPVFC said:

If we take 20000 to wembley that would be fantastic.  Correct we if I'm wrong we took 28000 for the autoglass and about 10k for the play offs in 1993 and 10k for the anglo Italian cup final in 1996. Not sure about the LDV vans that was in Cardiff. So history says not to expect us take anymore than probably 15-20 thousand. 

On the issue if swindon we are size wise comparable but we have two teams in our city they have majority of Wiltshire backing them. Plus they have been in the top flight one season and won the league cup so I would say historically they are a bigger club that Vale. In 1993 they took 40 thousand to wembley for a play off final we wouldn't be able to do that and if we gave them the tickets they would sell another 1500 no problem.

I don't think they have broad support in Wiltshire - I'm from West Wilts and there is a mix of Gas and Bristol City fans there (not even including non-league such as Bath City and Yeovil). If you go further south, Bournemouth and Southampton are physically closer.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

That last sentence is exactly the point I was making a couple of days ago.  If he wasn't good enough, fair enough, but if there was some potential (and clearly there is with 23 goals this season!) then why didn't the management get more out of him and keep him as a part of our set-up?

Probably because the last 2 managers play systems that don’t accommodate a player who you need to give a free(ish) role to and not expect him to tracking back all game. He needs to be allowed to do what he wants IMO and then you get the best out of him.

Were they able to see the potential in training. Last season I think they had to train in small groups due to Covid. He signed late on and didn't show anything in the games he played other than an inability to play as part of a team.

I think he is helped by the right back they have who went off. He was able to get up and down their right hand side and was very strong both offensively and defensively. At first Gibbo was marking Mckirdy then he had to leave him to Hall and pick up the right back. I'm not sure we worked out how to stop both Mckirdy and Egbo and improved when he went off.

When Mckirdy played for us we had Zak Mills playing behind him.

Advert:

4 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

It never seemed that obvious to me, Carlisle or any Vale fan who saw his 8 appearances. Nobody was too upset when he left and being honest yes, he deserved a better run than 8 games scattered randomly throughout the season, but he also didn’t do much outside that. Some players click at certain clubs at certain times. Constantine, Myrie Williams, Sodje…all had excellent runs at Vale but were underwhelming afterwards elsewhere.  

8 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

There will be circa 8000 at York on Saturday.National league North Playoff Final v Boston.John Askey,Kingsley James and Mark Goodlad are the management/coaching team at York.

I wish them well,good luck fellas

• Like 1

Hello admin,any chance you could make a separate thread for those who want to comment on a certain horrible opposition player ? Then we can just post on here about the Vale and Thursday night,cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Isn't that the point of going into the Hamil, getting all the singers together. As a coincidence Leicester are doing the same thing for next season, they have nominated a section of the ground for singing, STs will be able to swop their seats if in the wrong area.

Absolutely, but it’s not so much the singing I’m referring too, it’s the increase, perceived or otherwise, in negativity and booing when things aren’t going so well.  Most recent example being the Newport game.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Hello admin,any chance you could make a separate thread for those who want to comment on a certain horrible opposition player ? Then we can just post on here about the Vale and Thursday night,cheers.

Apologies. I have commented a few times on Swindles players.

However I have also commented plenty about the game too.

I just want the crowd to get behind the players. No booing at HT plz irrespective of the score.

I'm looking forward to it.

Not been in the Hamil since a testimonial..Aspo,Ray Walker,Porter or Glover. Must have been one of em!

Advert:

Do we set up to attack and potentially leave spaces, or with the trusted, conservative 532?

I think we should be putting Wilson in behind Proc and Harratt myself. Wilson cannot run, so why make him? He can pass. So why not let him? It’s time to go for it now. Have we got any personalities who can take the heat? Have we got any leaders on the pitch apart from Hall, Gibbo and Proc? We can do this, I really think we can

29 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Apologies. I have commented a few times on Swindles players.

However I have also commented plenty about the game too.

I just want the crowd to get behind the players. No booing at HT plz irrespective of the score.

I'm looking forward to it.

Not been in the Hamil since a testimonial..Aspo,Ray Walker,Porter or Glover. Must have been one of em!

No problems mate... just thought it was getting a bit out of sorts. Sod him,boost us. Like everything else in your reply,come on you Whites! Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

No problems mate... just thought it was getting a bit out of sorts. Sod him,boost us. Like everything else in your reply,come on you Whites! Cheers!

Agreed 

I've gone on a bit! 

Need to start on the front foot and get the crowd behind us.

11315 sold as of 5 p.m.

Nothing like a good crowd at a night match

• Like 1