onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

Advert

Virtually impossible to get on the pitch. That is exactly the point. Did that affect your enjoyment of the moment?  Did you think “oh sh** I wish I could get on the pitch.”  The players had a wonderful time celebrating because there were no fans mucking about on the pitch.
Were you at the Wycombe game?  If not you have no idea what you’re talking about with respect.
Have we forgotten Hillsborough?  A tragedy not caused by the fans on the day but by fans in years before that led to those ridiculous fences being erects around pitches all over the country.
I’m not being precious at all.  I was at Newcastle’s last home game. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric. They murdered Arsenal 2-0, could have been 6. At the end of the match 99% of the fans stayed in the ground while the players and their families did a lap of honour. Not a single fan went on the pitch. We’re they being “too precious” do you think?

Precious perhaps the wrong word. I appreciate you have strong feelings about this but to me it's not the crime of the century and happens up and down the country.

I think you miss the point about Wembley. It's not our ground being the pertinent point. I don't think I've ever seen a pitch invasion at Wembley.

If people are being anti social or there is a danger to life and limb, then I completely agree. But the scenes at the end of the Swindon game were predominantly an outpouring of joy, with all fans coming together and the players and chairwoman still came out and led songs etc. What did you expect? A jolly good round of applause?

Your point about Newcastle is a one off situation whereby Newcastle were long since safe from relegation and basically had nothing to celebrate bar a decent end of season result. It would seem a bit odd to storm the pitch to celebrate a lower mid table finish in the league wouldn't it?

I can guarantee that geordies have invaded the pitch many times over the years when they've had something to actually celebrate.

I'm not necessarily condoning pitch invasions per se , but I question whether it's the heinous crime you purport it to be.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

5 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Precious perhaps the wrong word. I appreciate you have strong feelings about this but to me it's not the crime of the century and happens up and down the country.

I think you miss the point about Wembley. It's not our ground being the pertinent point. I don't think I've ever seen a pitch invasion at Wembley.

If people are being anti social or there is a danger to life and limb, then I completely agree. But the scenes at the end of the Swindon game were predominantly an outpouring of joy, with all fans coming together and the players and chairwoman still came out and led songs etc. What did you expect? A jolly good round of applause?

Your point about Newcastle is a one off situation whereby Newcastle were long since safe from relegation and basically had nothing to celebrate bar a decent end of season result. It would seem a bit odd to storm the pitch to celebrate a lower mid table finish in the league wouldn't it?

I can guarantee that geordies have invaded the pitch many times over the years when they've had something to actually celebrate.

I'm not necessarily condoning pitch invasions per se , but I question whether it's the heinous crime you purport it to be.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

I totally agree LV the police need to move on and concentrate on more serious crimes happening in the city 

8 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

If you think the Newcastle fans had nothing to celebrate last season then you have no understanding at all about what went on there last season.

Also, I was at the game when they won the Championshion title under Benitez and again, there was no pitch invasion.

I’m not holding Newcastle fans up as paragons of virtue at all. I’m just pointing out that pitch invasions are not a requirement for celebration and can, as against Swindon, lead to problems for the club. 

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If you think the Newcastle fans had nothing to celebrate last season then you have no understanding at all about what went on there last season.

Also, I was at the game when they won the Championshion title under Benitez and again, there was no pitch invasion.

I’m not holding Newcastle fans up as paragons of virtue at all. I’m just pointing out that pitch invasions are not a requirement for celebration and can, as against Swindon, lead to problems for the club. 

Just punch Police horses instead ! 

Jacko I don’t think you can compare any of the Newcastle games you speak about above to winning a play off semi final on penalties to take you to Wembley.

We haven’t been to Wembley for over 25 years and to get there in the fashion we did then fans will undoubtedly get carried away and celebrate on the pitch

Had we won 3-0 on the night and been more comfortable and the fans still get in the pitch I think you may have a stronger point , but the emotion is not comparable to any Newcastle game last season I’m afraid

I’m in agreement with you by the way about fans getting on the pitch but also understand why it happened , the idiots getting on and goading the away fans need to give there head a wobble though

A pitch invasion generally is a spur of the moment thing. An impulsive reaction to the moment. 

I remember years ago every single last home match there was a pitch invasion whether we were 14th or 6th. People used to ring the whole touchline ready for the final whistle. 

The Swindon thing has been so over hyped by the press .

Whilst not condoning any poor behaviour a 16 week ban for the fans dealt with so far doesn't suggest they were attacking players or throwing things. 

I had the boys in blue knock on my door on the day they announced a few arrests so I assume they were doing a bit of a sweep that day, I went into the ground around the time a Swindon fan got clobbered outside so they were being pretty thorough trying to catch the culprit. Fortunately I look nowt like the bloke they had a picture of, but I suspect the fella could be looking at doing some porridge the way they were talking, the Swindon fan was sparked out, bost nose, could have been a lot worse.

Emotions were high that night, and I can understand in a way the pitch invasion, but that sounded like someone looking for an excuse to revisit the 80s!

58 minutes ago, sheffield61 said:

We should do a crowdfunding to cover the fine. I'd chip in and I'm sure many others would to save the club coughing up....

The Swindon fans would be seething at that! They weren't too chuffed after we did it for DC!

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Context, we had come back from having lost a chance of direct promotion at the beginning of April, nearly 3-0 down at Swindle, 3-1 down in a penalty shootout, and then a trip to Wembley. I would not have been surprised at ladies running round without their tops on.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

I’m not arguing that it was a hugely exciting time. I just don’t get why you have to show the excitement by invading the pitch. 

Archived