onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, Borgnan said:

Hi gents, I come again in peace.

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you all and your club and wish you good luck in the final. 
The game itself on Thursday, we didn’t didn’t deserve anything from it, you deserved to win. After the initial and expected fast start, I started to get concerned after 30-35 mins because we simply didn’t get going. Being honest at this point I expect it to be 3-0, which would have been preferable over penalties which got me hoping again. Let’s be clear here, I will concentrate on the performance of my own team because, well, they’re my team and as a fan it’s the first thing you look at and watch. I’ve only seen you guys play 4 times this season, so it’s hard for me to pinpoint any subtle changes in tactics or similar. What I will say, whatever you changed on Thursday, it appeared to work wonders. Fans really need to stop getting so het up when a fan from another team makes an off the cuff comment, joke or whatever, most of the time things like that are just that, nothing. A lot has been said on both sides, fans, players, managers, for me it all got a little cringey - speaking from our side that is. When our manager makes comments like he did, cringey. When the captain makes statements like he did (especially given that he’s usually the most likely for an on the ball mistake), it seemed stupid to me. Reading between the lines they were trying psych up the players (ours). Either way I think they’ll both be regretting those comments now and rightfully so.

Penalties - cruel but a necessary evil. It was in our hands somehow and we blew it. I knew McKirdy would miss, it was obviously going to happen. The reason afterwards, embarrassment, fear, panic - people do react differently in these circumstances (my Mrs smiles when serious stuff is happening) so I don’t have any issue with it personally, even though it must have looked bizarre. Davison, again I was surprised to see he step up over some others, I had zero confidence. The phrase including a barn door comes to mind. It is what it is though, we lost, you won, I’ll get over it (eventually).

The nonsense after the game…. Any comment I make here i do so to both sets of fans, ours and yours. <ovf censored> disgraceful from all involved. I’ve been following and attending games at Swindon for 35 years now, not once in that time have I felt the need to run onto a pitch. I simply don’t get it?! It’s something that’s definitely been on the rise this season/post Covid, it’s as if civil unrest is building (different subject entirely) and also the social media aspect of this it’s as if people want to film it, maybe get a celebrity (I don’t mean this just in relation to Thursday), to do something or say something that can then be sold to a paper or used to sue or something - it’s <ovf censored>! It happens everywhere now, I’ve had two separate arguments this season with my own fans, once away at Stevenage where coked up kids were smashing things up, secondly a couple of months ago to a pair of young ‘fans’ trying to stick flares down their pants. The only way to stop that <ovf censored> is from within I’m afraid. The difference on Thursday appeared to be that a few and I do accept it was only a few, a minority of your fans, made a beeline for our players. It’s like a couple saw the Billy Sharp incident and thought, good idea… It really needs stamping out because we’re only one idiot away from what, a player getting stabbed or something. I hold no Ill will, all clubs have these individuals I’m afraid.

Throw the book at people involved in the serious stuff (and yes I include Swindon fans in that), we’re trying to create an environment where young kids, boys and girls can enjoy coming to games, events like this will not help these future fans I’m afraid.

All of the above aside, I’m proud of my club this season, we still exist (which was really in question a few weeks from the season starting) and we are moving forwards. Disappointed yes, but I do still have a club to support.

Great post!

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

BUT had we lost and Exeter came on the pitch to our end then the scenes would of been far far different.

Not 100% sure about this, as there was no enmity or anything in the build-up, think there is mutual respect there and in truth we were mostly resigned to (or at least prepared for) missing out.

But yes, your general point about it being a more fraught situation for both on Thursday is very true, maybe I'm just looking back through black-and-white tinted glasses at those other games and pitch invasions.

Either way, as others have said, deal with the offenders and move on, leave any other niggles with Swindon and Harry in the past.

Onwards and upwards the Vale!

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

We need to move on. Bored.

Swindon are performatively pearl-clutching because they lost a play-off semi final in the most heartbreaking fashion, worsened by their fans, players, and manager giving it the big 'un all week. It's understandable because I don't think I could deal with how horrendous Thursday was for them. It's a bit annoying as a few are absolutely incessant, but these lads are traumatised. They've taken an obviously wrong set of actions (which will be dealt with) and are using it to justify their own feelings of hatred/despair. Very normal.

They will continue to bang on about a predictable minority of morons as they're still deeply disappointed. We have a massive game next Saturday and, whilst Thursday was great, the job is nowhere near done. We're doing a lot of gloating at present (understandably so after Garner, Conroy, McKirdy, and the ticket trophy), and it will come back to bite us should we fall short vs Mansfield. The Vale account had to delete a tweet which was directly ripping into McKirdy. By all means, go for it if we're up on Saturday, but let's not play Swindon's game.

Don't want to move on yet,I want to rub their noses in it for at least two years!!

It's interesting to look at the first part of 'JuniorAutism's video, where 'classless' Vale staff take time to show him round the club, take him up to the gantry, introduce him to Carol and first team players and have a member of staff doing some training exercises with him before the game, all this after being constantly bad mouthed by his club for the preceeding week.

It's sad that he may have been upset after the final whistle but, without victim blaming, why take an ASD kid in to such a volatile environment? What did his mum (who seemed very happy to go running to the Swindon press) think would happen if they lost? The people who allegedly 'attacked' Swindon players should, if they exist, get out of our club but I don't really give the slightest <ovf censored> about our lot goading their fans. I wouldn't do it myself and it's a bit cheap but if you can't hack that, don't go to games like that one. And if you don't like being hit by bottles, don't support a team where your fans start throwing bottles at the opposition supporters.

9 hours ago, Borgnan said:

Hi gents, I come again in peace.

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you all and your club and wish you good luck in the final. 
The game itself on Thursday, we didn’t didn’t deserve anything from it, you deserved to win. After the initial and expected fast start, I started to get concerned after 30-35 mins because we simply didn’t get going. Being honest at this point I expect it to be 3-0, which would have been preferable over penalties which got me hoping again. Let’s be clear here, I will concentrate on the performance of my own team because, well, they’re my team and as a fan it’s the first thing you look at and watch. I’ve only seen you guys play 4 times this season, so it’s hard for me to pinpoint any subtle changes in tactics or similar. What I will say, whatever you changed on Thursday, it appeared to work wonders. Fans really need to stop getting so het up when a fan from another team makes an off the cuff comment, joke or whatever, most of the time things like that are just that, nothing. A lot has been said on both sides, fans, players, managers, for me it all got a little cringey - speaking from our side that is. When our manager makes comments like he did, cringey. When the captain makes statements like he did (especially given that he’s usually the most likely for an on the ball mistake), it seemed stupid to me. Reading between the lines they were trying psych up the players (ours). Either way I think they’ll both be regretting those comments now and rightfully so.

Penalties - cruel but a necessary evil. It was in our hands somehow and we blew it. I knew McKirdy would miss, it was obviously going to happen. The reason afterwards, embarrassment, fear, panic - people do react differently in these circumstances (my Mrs smiles when serious stuff is happening) so I don’t have any issue with it personally, even though it must have looked bizarre. Davison, again I was surprised to see he step up over some others, I had zero confidence. The phrase including a barn door comes to mind. It is what it is though, we lost, you won, I’ll get over it (eventually).

The nonsense after the game…. Any comment I make here i do so to both sets of fans, ours and yours. <ovf censored> disgraceful from all involved. I’ve been following and attending games at Swindon for 35 years now, not once in that time have I felt the need to run onto a pitch. I simply don’t get it?! It’s something that’s definitely been on the rise this season/post Covid, it’s as if civil unrest is building (different subject entirely) and also the social media aspect of this it’s as if people want to film it, maybe get a celebrity (I don’t mean this just in relation to Thursday), to do something or say something that can then be sold to a paper or used to sue or something - it’s <ovf censored>! It happens everywhere now, I’ve had two separate arguments this season with my own fans, once away at Stevenage where coked up kids were smashing things up, secondly a couple of months ago to a pair of young ‘fans’ trying to stick flares down their pants. The only way to stop that <ovf censored> is from within I’m afraid. The difference on Thursday appeared to be that a few and I do accept it was only a few, a minority of your fans, made a beeline for our players. It’s like a couple saw the Billy Sharp incident and thought, good idea… It really needs stamping out because we’re only one idiot away from what, a player getting stabbed or something. I hold no Ill will, all clubs have these individuals I’m afraid.

Throw the book at people involved in the serious stuff (and yes I include Swindon fans in that), we’re trying to create an environment where young kids, boys and girls can enjoy coming to games, events like this will not help these future fans I’m afraid.

All of the above aside, I’m proud of my club this season, we still exist (which was really in question a few weeks from the season starting) and we are moving forwards. Disappointed yes, but I do still have a club to support.

Absolute class act. The one & only voice from the Swindon side of things speaking truth & sense. The lack of humility & grace from your club in general (no well wishes in the final etc) is so so poor.

There was clearly bad blood between the two sets of players, which is understandable I think based on the comments from the Swindon management & players... professionals you'd expect to know better.

I'm all for confidence & backing your own teammates, but some of the stuff in the build up to both games & in the aftermath of the 1st leg was really cringey from Swindon. I've never encountered anything quite like it before from any club. Almost like the majority of your fan base has been sucked into the arrogant & cocky culture which seems to flow down right from the top.

Fair play to you for your comments. You're a credit to your club. Good luck to you. 

4 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

It's interesting to look at the first part of 'JuniorAutism's video, where 'classless' Vale staff take time to show him round the club, take him up to the gantry, introduce him to Carol and first team players and have a member of staff doing some training exercises with him before the game

It’s funny, I never saw mention of that on the post-match BBC reporting either. Yet they were very quick to post their guys “scummy fans” comment. Weird that.

Whilst I don't condone any aggressive behaviour towards any opposition players or fans and any identified be banned, I'm struggling with a couple of things:

1) From all the footage I've seen, I can't identify any punches being thrown. Lots of shoving and handbags but not full on fighting.

2) Why didn't their players run off down the tunnel? They seemed to want to stay to get involved with arguing. Just run off and don't get involved

3) Why, if the situation was so dangerous for away fans, did they stop around? I would have been out of the stand as soon as the penalty was ballooned. I noticed people still in there 10 minutes later!

Again, not condoning any wrongdoing and if anybody, from either side, is found to have done anything wrong, then they should be punished accordingly. But a few things don't add up to me.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:

Whilst I don't condone any aggressive behaviour towards any opposition players or fans and any identified be banned, I'm struggling with a couple of things:

1) From all the footage I've seen, I can't identify any punches being thrown. Lots of shoving and handbags but not full on fighting.

2) Why didn't their players run off down the tunnel? They seemed to want to stay to get involved with arguing. Just run off and don't get involved

3) Why, if the situation was so dangerous for away fans, did they stop around? I would have been out of the stand as soon as the penalty was ballooned. I noticed people still in there 10 minutes later!

Again, not condoning any wrongdoing and if anybody, from either side, is found to have done anything wrong, then they should be punished accordingly. But a few things don't add up to me.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Is that a yellow seat I can see heading towards the pitch? No it won’t be, because Swindon fans behaved impeccably…

Pity that wasn’t noticed by some of the gobshites commenting / commentating on the “absolutely disgusting scenes”. (Big soz about costing you the title Matt T, but remind me, what did your fans do the last game of the season??).

And, I’ll say it again for clarity, I’m not condoning anything, two wrongs blah blah… but let’s have a bit of balance in the reporting here please. 

Anyway, I’m starting to sound like Ben Garner, so that’s enough from me. Besides I need the sleep, busy day tomorrow. I’ve got a lawn to sort out that is bone dry having not been watered for days. Lot of it about it seems….

A7DFFB00-8A25-40D5-8ED4-C9BFDD723CBB.jpeg

Just watched the pitchside video and noticed how emotional Mal Benning seemed when he got a hug off what I assume was his mum in the tunnel. Made me think of what a tremendous professional he’s been after finding himself out of the squad, working his way back in and putting in performances like that. Certainly something young people should learn off, rather than our old captain who went down the pub instead when he found himself in the same predicament. Hats off to him.

5 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Just watched the pitchside video and noticed how emotional Mal Benning seemed when he got a hug off what I assume was his mum in the tunnel. Made me think of what a tremendous professional he’s been after finding himself out of the squad, working his way back in and putting in performances like that. Certainly something young people should learn off, rather than our old captain who went down the pub instead when he found himself in the same predicament. Hats off to him.

Spot on about benning. He came under a lot of fire early on and I was one who thought he wasn’t what we hoped he would be after the glowing reports from Mansfield fans. But he’s come into the team and he’s looked a real player in the attacking role. Gives us that outlet with a bit of pace and drives forward. He couldn’t get the winner saturday could he? 

Archived