onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

15 minutes ago, 1 said:

Wow, what a night. Not just in football terms, but in my life honestly. I’ll remember that night forever regardless of the Mansfield result.

We have been so professional all the way through this tie. We refused to be dragged into mudslinging, player comparisons, arrogance and tit-for-tat nonsense with a team that would do well to learn from his experience and come out as better people and football professionals. We complimented them when they mocked our style and player quality, we humbly and quietly went about our preparations while they scoffed and soaked up media coverage in the most cringeworthy and unjustifiable way. Meanwhile we were making changes, managing Proctor’s injury and adjusting to the sad news that he couldn’t play and utilising a belief that has clearly been built over a long period. Also bearing in mind, they have totally misunderstood and overlooked our style. We pass and overload on the wings, play into Wilson’s feet and pass it out from the back. We passed and moved better than them on the night, and if anyone was hoofing it forward trying desperately to find their only mobile striker, it was them. Don’t believe your own hype, watch the game without ego-blinkers.

Dazzler getting sent off was not needed, I thought. Yes he’s out of his technical area, but the instigator, as always, often and uncalled for, was the nasty opposition captain and inspirer of much unneeded bad blood. Shamefully in the write up it says DC obviously lost his head due to family bereavement catching up with him. This comment should be complained about and subsequently an apology issued, because that is plainly wrong. In reality, it is what standing up to bullies looks like. That’s what giving an entitled group of egotists their own medicine is all about. Well done Darrell, you fight for us with a passion we haven’t had in a manager in my lifetime.

Every single player to a man was superb. I think we were clearly the better side. Did Stone have to save a real, clear cut chance in the whole game? I mean a real opportunity like the 3 or 4 we should have put away? We held possession, overlapped like the Vale that seemed unbeatable on our winning runs and stood up firmly and strongly in the tackle for 2 hours. Absolutely fantastic. It’s not really right to mention individuals, but Smith as a defender is as good as they come. That back 3, in the right positions, doing the right jobs, is our best 3, and we’ve got it right just at the right time. The mentality of this group is genuinely inspiring. Any of the many personal and professional issues that have plagued Vale this season could have caused them individually or collectively to throw in the towel. We are with you and you are with us, the players have been, to a man, a credit to Carol and the club.

They are going to want to drag this game out in the news for weeks; they have a lot of free time now after all. But we should not be sorry about the pitch invasion. Every club does it and it was 99% celebratory. Those fans that tarnished the evening with their antics should be found and banned and prosecuted, no doubt. But where is the protection against the abuse, goading and underlying inappropriate behaviours that rile the fans up? The club should just issue a blanket, ‘we don’t condone XYZ’ response and then move on. Don’t get bogged down in a war of words, let it go.

For me this game is separate to the Mansfield game. This is a moral victory for the players, a cultural victory for the club, and a testament to the real work that is going on behind the scenes. It’s a new club, and all the people involved in taking us on this journey have my permanent gratitude.

I’m sure if we lose against Mansfield all the little people behind their club badges, on their keyboards, cackling in the shadow of hate (Walsall, Crewe, Swindon, Stoke and whoever else wants it) will kid themselves that our pain is a win for them that blots out their greater and deeper flaws, shortcomings and delusions; but I say leave them to it. We are building so much, so fast, with amazing staff that will drive us forward season after season. I am so proud to be a Vale fan and our long term aspirations.

I went down the route of trying to pre-numb the hurt and disappointment by expecting the worst throughout the game. I barely celebrated when we scored, I clapped quietly when we went close, I ignored McKirdy to the point of not looking in his direction while all those around me hurled abuse whenever he was within 100 yards. I wanted solemn contemplation upon defeat or humble grace in victory to be my only prescribed options. I didn’t blink when we missed 2 penalties in a row, I stood cross-armed, unmoved when McKirdy blazed over. But when Iandolo missed, I think I literally blacked out for 2 minutes. The relief, the joy, the intensity, everything I had be holding in just came out all at once. I’ve never spontaneously hugged a stranger before, and certainly not 10, while crying and singing, but now I have.

What a night. Thank you football. Thank you Vale.

This is one of, if not the, best comments I’ve ever read on this forum. 🙏🏻

Advert

Genuinely dont get all the pure hatred for mckirdy yes hes a wind up merchant but football would be boring without characters. Yes give them stick during the 90 mins but to attack him physically is not on. Hes just playing a game of football. Need take a step back and realise your a grown man going to assault a player for simply winding you up during a game of football. I thought the players dealt with him superbly and used his antics as motivation to drive them to the perfomance they put in. That should be enough for us all to get pay back for his aggravation to the crowd at the end of the day he is a human being and has a family to go home too nobody deserves to be assaulted on a football pitch. Gladly it was the minority and wont put a dampener on the night but come on give your heads a wobble if you have a genuine hatred for the guy. Were going Wembley thats all that matters

12 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

This is one of, if not the, best comments I’ve ever read on this forum. 🙏🏻

Brilliant post it was an amazing night every man in a vale shirt should have got m o t m still buzzing this morning that game will be talked about for many years even me mrs was singing and shouting in the hamil 

Not sure what Edmonson was thinking but some of our penalties were excellent. I had a feeling Worrall would miss but fair play, that could easily have gone an inch lower and deflected in off the crossbar or even just straight in off the keeper's hand. 

Mal Benning though, fair play. Excellent penalty under pressure, well done mate. 

Watching some sky clips back, big Cov and a suited Jamie Proctor went absolutely mental celebrating with the fans. Amazing.

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Genuinely dont get all the pure hatred for mckirdy yes hes a wind up merchant but football would be boring without characters. Yes give them stick during the 90 mins but to attack him physically is not on. Hes just playing a game of football. Need take a step back and realise your a grown man going to assault a player for simply winding you up during a game of football. I thought the players dealt with him superbly and used his antics as motivation to drive them to the perfomance they put in. That should be enough for us all to get pay back for his aggravation to the crowd at the end of the day he is a human being and has a family to go home too nobody deserves to be assaulted on a football pitch. Gladly it was the minority and wont put a dampener on the night but come on give your heads a wobble if you have a genuine hatred for the guy. Were going Wembley thats all that matters

I still don't know what he's done wrong?

He's never slagged the club off? Or said anything bad about his time here? And even if he did I wouldn't blame him!

Yeah he winds the crowds up, but he does that everywhere so not like it's just aimed at us?

26 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Who's starting the gofundme for the McKirdy statue? 

Club legend. Chant needs sorting.

We're on the road, to Wembley Way,

Try not to worry, you'll get there someday

He blasted his pen, up up and away

Stop crying McKirdy

(fwiw I have been quite defensive of McKirdy that penalty miss was so deliciously narrative I feel it has to be commemorated somehow).

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I'm not trying to defend us or anything. The handful of idiots should be banned and jailed.

But there were 10,000 Vale fans there tonight, and 9,990 (?) will be tarred with the same brush which is unfair.

It is.

Some behaviour was really out of line from Vale fans last night and I feel desperately sorry for Carol being let down. 

Instead of writing about our excellent performance, goal and resilience in the shoot out, the media articles will now be about the small amount who, literally on the day that Forest fan was sent to prison for ABH, thought it'd be a good idea to get in the faces of the opposition. McKirdy skied a key, key penalty, hilarious. Just leave it there, there was no need for what then happened after.

20 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I still don't know what he's done wrong?

He's never slagged the club off? Or said anything bad about his time here? And even if he did I wouldn't blame him!

Yeah he winds the crowds up, but he does that everywhere so not like it's just aimed at us?

Not every ex player call us fans pigs he deserves everything he gets there is being a wind up merchant and being a idiot he is the latter.

42 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Who's starting the gofundme for the McKirdy statue? 

Club legend. Chant needs sorting.

I think a Connor Hall statue would be more appropriate with McKirdy’s head sticking out of his pocket.

And after all,we’ve got Connor Hall.

Archived