onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

Advert

Everyone gave their all to a man. Not a poor performance. 

Got to single out the following 4 though 

Smith.. immense did what he does, defend, head, niggle, clear it. He's not a ball player, needs to play to his strengths. Brilliant performance. 

Benning. Berated on here all season until maybe April. A fantastic display. 

And finally the two nippers ,19 are they ?

Biggest game of their lives.

Hannant was outstanding in the first 20 minutes unplayable. 

Edmondson, I'm mentioning him because for a young loanee to stick his head above the parapet takes guts . A dreadful penalty but you're forgiven lad. Great character builder.

Half the job done we have to win the big one 

9 hours ago, billybone54 said:

Yep, going on and on about the penalty incident but no mention of one of their team clumping one of ours in the first half.

Conroy should have been sent off earlier in the game and then at least been booked for manhandling the ball boy for which Clarke was sent off and did tge gardener watch any of the game, especially conshis post match comments 

6 minutes ago, robf said:

Which is why he was released. He wasn't a goal threat and he went missing during games last season. Fair play to him for turning it around at Swindon (what a perfect match of player and fans) but there was no surprise he was released - he was never a DC player.

What a night

We came away after the last pen

Not interested in the bad publicity but if you project yourself as the pantomime villain then expect come uppance at some point

We were better than them

They had the ref in their pocket

Little Jonny going in late on Garrity,playing on and then rolling round when touched?

Their number 10 clean through then trying to do some sort of fancy skill on the edge of the box and losing the ball?

Arrogant team,arrogant fans,arrogant inexperienced manager

Saying they should have had a pen for handball

Saying our goal was offside

No mention of their time wasting or fouling

No credit for saying their team was outplayed and could have lost by 2 or 3

Well deserved win and the crowd were fantastic during the match and shootout

Wonder if Pope is liking McTurdys penalty on Instagram?

Everyone gave their all to a man. Not a poor performance. 
Got to single out the following 4 though 
Smith.. immense did what he does, defend, head, niggle, clear it. He's not a ball player, needs to play to his strengths. Brilliant performance. 
Benning. Berated on here all season until maybe April. A fantastic display. 
And finally the two nippers ,19 are they ?
Biggest game of their lives.
Hannant was outstanding in the first 20 minutes unplayable. 
Edmondson, I'm mentioning him because for a young loanee to stick his head above the parapet takes guts . A dreadful penalty but you're forgiven lad. Great character builder.
Half the job done we have to win the big one 
I'd add hall to that list, you'd think he was playing in the park with his mates last night. So cool calm and collected, never looked phased and that tackle late on where there lad looked sure to score.

Just a word on the yobs. They are not Vale fans they are damaging the club. Do you think Carol, Kevin, true fans or Burslem deserve to have their reputations damaged on a national level? It makes Carol and her business look terrible if instead of investing in a community club, she is putting money into a fight club for yobs. 

Ban them from Wembley. Ban them from the club. Stick them in prison. 

Wow, what a night. Not just in football terms, but in my life honestly. I’ll remember that night forever regardless of the Mansfield result.

We have been so professional all the way through this tie. We refused to be dragged into mudslinging, player comparisons, arrogance and tit-for-tat nonsense with a team that would do well to learn from his experience and come out as better people and football professionals. We complimented them when they mocked our style and player quality, we humbly and quietly went about our preparations while they scoffed and soaked up media coverage in the most cringeworthy and unjustifiable way. Meanwhile we were making changes, managing Proctor’s injury and adjusting to the sad news that he couldn’t play and utilising a belief that has clearly been built over a long period. Also bearing in mind, they have totally misunderstood and overlooked our style. We pass and overload on the wings, play into Wilson’s feet and pass it out from the back. We passed and moved better than them on the night, and if anyone was hoofing it forward trying desperately to find their only mobile striker, it was them. Don’t believe your own hype, watch the game without ego-blinkers.

Dazzler getting sent off was not needed, I thought. Yes he’s out of his technical area, but the instigator, as always, often and uncalled for, was the nasty opposition captain and inspirer of much unneeded bad blood. Shamefully in the write up it says DC obviously lost his head due to family bereavement catching up with him. This comment should be complained about and subsequently an apology issued, because that is plainly wrong. In reality, it is what standing up to bullies looks like. That’s what giving an entitled group of egotists their own medicine is all about. Well done Darrell, you fight for us with a passion we haven’t had in a manager in my lifetime.

Every single player to a man was superb. I think we were clearly the better side. Did Stone have to save a real, clear cut chance in the whole game? I mean a real opportunity like the 3 or 4 we should have put away? We held possession, overlapped like the Vale that seemed unbeatable on our winning runs and stood up firmly and strongly in the tackle for 2 hours. Absolutely fantastic. It’s not really right to mention individuals, but Smith as a defender is as good as they come. That back 3, in the right positions, doing the right jobs, is our best 3, and we’ve got it right just at the right time. The mentality of this group is genuinely inspiring. Any of the many personal and professional issues that have plagued Vale this season could have caused them individually or collectively to throw in the towel. We are with you and you are with us, the players have been, to a man, a credit to Carol and the club.

They are going to want to drag this game out in the news for weeks; they have a lot of free time now after all. But we should not be sorry about the pitch invasion. Every club does it and it was 99% celebratory. Those fans that tarnished the evening with their antics should be found and banned and prosecuted, no doubt. But where is the protection against the abuse, goading and underlying inappropriate behaviours that rile the fans up? The club should just issue a blanket, ‘we don’t condone XYZ’ response and then move on. Don’t get bogged down in a war of words, let it go.

For me this game is separate to the Mansfield game. This is a moral victory for the players, a cultural victory for the club, and a testament to the real work that is going on behind the scenes. It’s a new club, and all the people involved in taking us on this journey have my permanent gratitude.

I’m sure if we lose against Mansfield all the little people behind their club badges, on their keyboards, cackling in the shadow of hate (Walsall, Crewe, Swindon, Stoke and whoever else wants it) will kid themselves that our pain is a win for them that blots out their greater and deeper flaws, shortcomings and delusions; but I say leave them to it. We are building so much, so fast, with amazing staff that will drive us forward season after season. I am so proud to be a Vale fan and our long term aspirations.

I went down the route of trying to pre-numb the hurt and disappointment by expecting the worst throughout the game. I barely celebrated when we scored, I clapped quietly when we went close, I ignored McKirdy to the point of not looking in his direction while all those around me hurled abuse whenever he was within 100 yards. I wanted solemn contemplation upon defeat or humble grace in victory to be my only prescribed options. I didn’t blink when we missed 2 penalties in a row, I stood cross-armed, unmoved when McKirdy blazed over. But when Iandolo missed, I think I literally blacked out for 2 minutes. The relief, the joy, the intensity, everything I had be holding in just came out all at once. I’ve never spontaneously hugged a stranger before, and certainly not 10, while crying and singing, but now I have.

What a night. Thank you football. Thank you Vale.

Archived