onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

I thought it might go to penalties, and as soon as it did I wrote us off. We're not the sort of club who, since I started attending in 2002, does things that makes their fans happy. A penalty shootout win to go to Wembley was beyond the realm of possibility.

When we missed two of our first three, I was barely surprised. Classic Vale. Predictable, bottling Vale. My phone started to buzz with gleeful rival messages, and I resigned myself to the crushing disappointment that has been embedded with my relationship with this club. Maybe next year.

McKirdy; a player who I've defended up to this point, and I think Vale fans were well and truly rattled by him in the first leg. He had a truly disastrous night. An anonymous performance and a woeful penalty miss, which changed the momentum of the shootout. He was playing for himself, not his team, and Swindon fans should feel aggrieved. I got wound up by his petulance but it was clear he was trying far too hard to make the headlines about him.

I didn't really believe until Stone saved the 5th. I allowed myself a tiny bit of hope. Our sudden death penalties were all top drawer, a testament to the players who a few weeks ago I was labelling bottlers. When Iandolo skied it, I can't really recall what I did, but came to much further down the Railway than I'd started.

It feels silly picking out individuals, as everyone was outstanding. Smith, in his natural position, was colossal. Wilson, despite appearing to be finished about 30 minutes in, put in a proper leader's performance. The two of them were at another level tonight, supported by Benning and Harratt, who I thought had their best ever performances for Vale.

We still have a job to do. Tonight is for nothing if we don't beat Mansfield. It's nice to feel like we can be one of those normal clubs who do good things and have happy fans. An all-timer at Vale Park we'll remember forever. The fans deserve that more than anyone. 

Advert

Watching the penalties back, I loved seeing Lucas Covolan, fully kitted and with gloves on, in the midst of the pitch invasion. Hasn't played a minute since January. Actively sprinting to get involved.

Where do you even begin with that. 

what a <ovf censored> perfomance. I have never been so proud to be a vale fan. Them boys gave absolutely everything. I said before the shootout to my dad that i wont be sad if we lose as weve left everything on the pitch. To come back from two penalty misses sums up everything about this group of players they are the most dedicated squad weve had in my whole time supporting the vale. I am so happy for them and for us the fans. 

let's finish the job at WEMBLEY !!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18627831/swindon-players-fight-port-vale-fans-play-offs/

Ok, so it’s the SWINDON PLAYERS fighting with the Vale fans according to the Currant Bun….🙀

Now I’m not condoning anyone running on the pitch and whacking an opposition player. And if footage captures this then throw the book at them. 

However, it cuts both ways, and as others have said, Swindon’s conduct during and in the lead up to the game was, frankly, disgusting.

Was McKirdy’s “diving into Thursday’s game” post anything other than a way to further inflame what are always highly charged games anyway?? And Garner wasn’t much better. Davidson doing a McKirdy with most of the match spent with his hands on his head lambasting the officials every decision, all their players going down at the drop of a feather etc. 

So, as I say, yes punish any wrongdoing (I really don’t get the whole pitch invasion thing anyway tbh) but I think it’s about time some of these footballers also took a look at themselves. Reep what you sow and all that.

Wow. Just wow.

What a shift from the lads. Every single one of them. Smith and Hall immense, immovable, Worrall back to his best, Harratt I'm sure didn't stop sprinting the entire time he was on the pitch, phenomenal stuff. Special praise tho for BJWV#9, who looked done after 35 minutes, no idea how he made it through 120 with whatever muscle strain it was, and wasn't just a passenger, was pressing, probing, creating, beating opposition players for fun. What a player.

Great atmosphere, great crowd (bar a few who should never be allowed near the hallowed turf again), cracking game, amazing turnaround in the shootout (my Lord), Carol singing, what more could you want? Incredible, surreal, exhausting, wonderful Vale.

See you all at Wembley!

Back home in Sheffield now

can I say that is the way to win a playoff semi final. Not good for the nerves but bloody hell the feeling after their miss unbelievable.

The lads gave everything tonight, they turned up and did the job. Coming back from 3-1 down in a penalty shootout pure heroic.

Thanks to Carol and Kevin for turning this club into something truly special and for giving the fans our pride back.

Also DC heard your interview on radio Stoke - don’t worry your a legend.

Anyway the game….. magnificent to a man, tactical masterclass putting Gibbo at RCB, Taylor gave us a bit of craft, Garrity never stopped, Wilson just a silky smooth footballer, Smith and Hall colossal, Pett terrier-like, Harratt chased down everything, Worrall looked very dangerous first half, Benning… best game in a Vale shirt and Stone, well… bored to death 😀 Charsley and Edmundson played their parts too, again hassling and winning things to get us up the pitch. 

Archived