onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

Are we going put Jones on the bench where the hell is he .
Is long throws work a treat versus these .
He misses a golden chance v BR and not seen since when other defenders cock up virtually every game .
Our best football was when him and Cass in the side but he constantly been overlooked .
Use everything in your armoury Vale

Advert

18 minutes ago, robf said:

My thoughts exactly. It's a pity if he is missing today (would be great to see him in the squad) as he gives us height and power in midfield as well as another attacking option with his passing. Stats-wise we were unbeaten in seven with him in the midfield, winning six of them and drawing the other. But if he's not fit I hope one of the others will step up.

The club has kept (rightly) very quiet about Wakler’s injury but if it is a grade three hamstring tear, I doubt he can play?

I think Jones is injured unfortunately. If he was fit I'd have him on the bench in place of Robinson as his throw could be useful. 

I wonder if Harratt is worth a start in place of Edmondson? I know Ryan has bags of energy and I personally feel he has good potential but Harratt has that goal poacher's mentality and looks to be able to snatch a goal from nowhere. Then again, I don't see the players on the training ground like the management do.

I think Jones is injured unfortunately. If he was fit I'd have him on the bench in place of Robinson as his throw could be useful. 
I wonder if Harratt is worth a start in place of Edmondson? I know Ryan has bags of energy and I personally feel he has good potential but Harratt has that goal poacher's mentality and looks to be able to snatch a goal from nowhere. Then again, I don't see the players on the training ground like the management do.
I think Edmondson is the better all round team player the work he does his excellent Kian is a poacher but needs to be fed around the box as he will not link the play ,I think a great option have last 15 if winning 1-0 because JP if on top of his game will create for others with his unselfish teamwork play and kian may just be the lad who has that golden chance send us to Wembley in the 89th minute .

1 hour ago, Clayts said:

In the office at 7am, so I can log off for the day when I leave to pick the kids up from school at 3, then it's a quick change, grab some stuff and straight on the train from Brum to Stoke, taxi to the folks, walk to VP, hope the turnstile queues aren't too ridiculous!

Nerves building already, really struggling to focus on work (as is probably obvious from the fact I'm on here!), excitement and dread in equal measure.

Good luck and safe journeys to all the travelling faithful, see you there. UTV!

Cambridge.  Just clocked-off too after an early start though was about as productive as a Vale long throw this morning.  Will be on the road shortly have booked hotel/B&B tonight and the day off for tomorrow - I may have a drink induced headache* in the morning  

*hoping it’s a celebratory rather than drowning my sorrows one

UTV

Proctor has to start. Ball sticks up front and he will shoot on sight. Aerial presence, makes Wilson a better player, and links things up. Our midfield is too limited technically (if Charsley starts over Taylor) to pay a patient build up play. We need to be fairly direct, into the feet of the forwards with the wing-backs wide. Heavy-metal football.

Start strong with the Jims up top, get goals, then lob on the fresh legs of Harratt/Edmonson/Amoo late on to press, stretch their back line, and see out the win. Do not start with a young lad with no experience in a massive game and then put on your best striker when desperate after 60.

I don't want to be chasing the game into the 2nd half. Fans will get tense. Players will panic. We'll start 'forcing it'. We'll get picked off. There's a reason their away form is so good - they'll do us on the break. We simply can't have Aaron Martin 1v1 on the counter. Finished and done out. I don't mind him but his turning speed is glacial.

Start quick and strong. Press the life out of them. They've got a certain fragility about their backline. The fans simply have to be at it. Booing when they have possession. No silly 'on a bender' chants. If the atmosphere is limp tonight then we'll have to concede we're nowhere near the fanbase we sometimes profess to be. I'm not one to blame fans but if I'm sat there, bored, 15 minutes in, then there's a serious issue.

I honestly think this game will be won or lost in the opening 20. Score inside that timeframe and we go through. Start slow and I think we get desperate, Clarke lobs all of his forwards on in daft positions, and they nail us on the counter.

2 hours ago, Trevor Hankey said:

Another Leicestershire, retired, ex Biddulph, going early look round my old stamping ground,then to vale park soak up the atmosphere for what we all hope is going to be a memorable night UTV

Same here live in Leicestershire will be loggin off work at 5pm as WFH will be jumping straight in the car and heading to vale park.

3 hours ago, robf said:

Just wondering how everybody's holding up ahead of the game?

Due to my location (it normally takes about two and a half hours anyhow) and concerns about motorway rush hour delays my journey to Burslem is starting pretty early at around 1.30pm this afternoon. Can't wait to get in the car and begin.

Anybody else travelling from outside the area to the game? 

Family emergency stops me and my daughter being there, but will be listening to the game via iFollow.  

Getting more nervous as the hours tick by.  Please Vale, let the Vale team we know you can be turn up and beat these arrogant staff and some of the players who have voiced their arrogant views.  Other players are probably thinking, what the hell did they write or say that - that's cringe worthy.

Safe journey to all the fans making the long journeys, wish I was doing the same.

3 hours ago, robf said:

Just wondering how everybody's holding up ahead of the game?

Due to my location (it normally takes about two and a half hours anyhow) and concerns about motorway rush hour delays my journey to Burslem is starting pretty early at around 1.30pm this afternoon. Can't wait to get in the car and begin.

Anybody else travelling from outside the area to the game? 

Left pompey on 09:54  train...getting Stoke at 4....

I've not been massively nervous in recent weeks. I'd go into my typical 'expect the worse' mode which has protected me well as a Vale fan. I've just been expecting things to go wrong to mitigate the blow when they do. It's worked a charm to this point.

I've sat here at lunch and genuinely considered the impact of promotion this season, of how starved of success we've been, how close it is, of how I'm sick and tired of being rinsed for supporting Vale, and how much I really, really don't want to be in League 2 next season. 

Tonight's the game with the most riding on it since the Chesterfield game in which loss equalled non-league. Go through tonight and I think we can deal with Mansfield. If we go up, it transforms the club, allowing Carol to sort out the ground and invest in the burgeoning infrastructure. We could enter a proper 'new era', away from this tinpot abyss, welcoming big clubs every other week and get money flowing back into Burslem. The 1k+ Junior Valiants see success early doors, locking down their attachment to the club and dragging parents into the club shop in July. Robbie celebrates Vale promotion at his homecoming concert and Those Tricky Whites are back. Rudge gets his statue and we start to enjoy some of the days we haven't seen since his zenith. Lorne Street gets finished and we finally move on from the last edifice of the Port Vale banter years. We leapfrog Crewe, leave Walsall in the dust, and can focus on hunting down our actual rivals for the first time in a while.

Don't get it done, and there's absolutely no guarantees next season. Another season of low revenues and disastrous away followings. Dog's abuse on whatsapp tonight. Walsall, Crewe, Stoke, gleeful that we've bottled it. Swindon fans holding their attendance trophy aloft. McKirdy machine-gunning the Railway as grown men sob. We start from scratch in what will probably be a more competitive league. Whilst we will be in a good position to get it done, football is too volatile and random, and there's just as much chance we fall short once more. 

It's much better to be in a 'positive pressure' game than the existential battles Smurthwaite seemed to enjoy, but I'm not enjoying myself at present. I'm sure when the dust settles some of us may be able to sanguinely say it's been a 'good season', but it really, really won't feel like it if Carol isn't on the Wembley pitch next Saturday. I accept that I get a bit intense with it all sometimes, and some berate me for 'wanting it now', but I've been wanting it for 20 years and I'm done with waiting. 

The fans who have stoically stuck by this basket-case of a club, at great expense and misery, in the darkest days deserve promotion the most. There was a small group of fans who sacrificed a great deal to rid us of previous shackles, and I keep thinking of one of them who is no longer with us, and how committed he was to bringing about the sort of success we're very close to achieving.

ffs. Bricking it now. Into these.

1 hour ago, PVFC764 said:

Family emergency stops me and my daughter being there, but will be listening to the game via iFollow.  

Getting more nervous as the hours tick by.  Please Vale, let the Vale team we know you can be turn up and beat these arrogant staff and some of the players who have voiced their arrogant views.  Other players are probably thinking, what the hell did they write or say that - that's cringe worthy.

Safe journey to all the fans making the long journeys, wish I was doing the same.

Hope everything's alright.

I am chilled leave Westbury Park at 18.30 ,up to mother Town after picking lad and nephew up from Silverdale and Talke respectively then quick pre match pint before heading into the hamil first time since legends game Port Vale 8 Stoke City 0 (not bad that lol ).
Looking forwards to it we have enough talent in our side absolute thrash these however defensively people need to concentrate .
Team is irrelevant pick players who believe they are going win do not pick players who are seeing out there contracts and play like they do not give 2 hoots because we do we care deeply I've hardly slept this week bet others the same stressed about if they going sell the tickets stressed about how they going perform well PERFORM .
DC deserves this and our Carol the reason why 12 thousand are defo going be there tonight (hopefully 13/500)deserves this .
Do not be nervous Vale fans (or whatever club you usually support )get behind the club sing make your feelings known throughout do not sit there quietly you not helping .
WE ALL VALE aren't we

Archived