onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

13 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Probably because the last 2 managers play systems that don’t accommodate a player who you need to give a free(ish) role to and not expect him to tracking back all game. He needs to be allowed to do what he wants IMO and then you get the best out of him.

That clearly appears to be the case at Swindon!

Advert

13 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:

Were they able to see the potential in training. Last season I think they had to train in small groups due to Covid. He signed late on and didn't show anything in the games he played other than an inability to play as part of a team.

I think he is helped by the right back they have who went off. He was able to get up and down their right hand side and was very strong both offensively and defensively. At first Gibbo was marking Mckirdy then he had to leave him to Hall and pick up the right back. I'm not sure we worked out how to stop both Mckirdy and Egbo and improved when he went off.

When Mckirdy played for us we had Zak Mills playing behind him.

As I said previously, as far as potential is concerned, that's a judgement call for a manager.

4 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Pope likeing all mckirdys vale goal posts on Instagram some vale fan. He wants a testimonial lol. Not many are going be there.

All of his Vale goal posts? So that's both of them then...

‘Show Pony’s’ footballing ability was not the reason he was let go from Vale and let’s make that perfectly clear, he didn’t leave we let him go . 
He has arrogance issues, he doesn’t have the human criteria required to be employed at the Vale . Basically he doesn’t fit in, he’s a ‘non conformist’, pretty much like the ‘naughty kid in class’ , difficult to handle unless you’re prepared to put up with his antics which obviously Swindon are however quite a few others haven’t been . 

Will be interesting to see how or not his career goes after this season .

3 hours ago, Stamfordvale said:

We need to be faster to the ball, quicker to close them down, and make sure we cut their pace as they are much faster and slick, the crowd needs to intimidate the girly ponytailed egotist each time he receives the ball, and ensure he's close marked and never given chance to move more than two feet, otherwise it don't bear thinking about cus they ain't no pushover, there's to much at stake, and let Andy choose the team, he's this seasons real successful manager.

I have to disagree with Andy being the successful manager. 
Don’t get me wrong, he did a good job, but the team didn’t seem to flow as well, we seemed to be making hard work of some of the games.

Crosby is a coach, Clarke is a manager.

I feel a lot more confident about Thursday with Darrell back in Charge.

Just my opinion of course, I don’t want to upset anybody.

UTV

Absolutely fundamental that we start well. When we were a really good side in October/November, we'd have sharp, intense spells of pressing before tiring and sitting deep. We need a strong opening 20 minutes tomorrow. An early goal will rattle them and lift the fans, making it a cup-tie sort of game which could go either way.

If we start slow, the fans will grow tense/restless, and they will start to control the ball in the middle, slowing the game down and most likely see out a result that's enough to go through. Vale fans are electric when things are going well but soul-sapping when it's not good. Not sure why, we're just a reactive crowd who feeds off the players' performances, rather than vice-versa.

We have to be at them from minute 1. It sounds trivial, but the pre-match needs to be structured better. Get the music right. Do not, under any circumstances, cut off The Wonder of You. Wildes, forever a PR man, managed to whip up fans in 12-13 with those silly flamethrowers. We can't be sat there, quietely listening to Robbie as sprinklers hammer the pitch, 5 minutes before a huge game. Get Carol on the pitch or something. Fire Boomer out of a cannon. The 'buzz' has dwindled slowly over the last 5 games and we need it massively tomorrow. No daft queues at the turnstiles. Into these.

Proctor has to start. Absolutely no question. Unfit, he had more efforts on target in 30 minutes than the entire team did for the 60 minutes prior. He is always looking to shoot and makes us look a much, much better team as the ball sticks with him. For the first 20, bypass central midfield; Garrity and Charsley are that technically inferior to their counterparts in Swindon's midfield it's like watching them play a different sport. Garrity should be pushed up as a forward and Charsley spoils deeper. Do not give them time on the ball. Do not try and get Nathan Smith to build from the back. Get it to the wing-backs, get Wilson to come deep, or ping it into Proctor. No Garrity in possession, I beg!

Wingbacks; Gibbo had a disaster on Sunday but put him on his strong foot. He got forward a lot, just everything went wrong. For all of his flaws and disappointments, Benning is our best option on the left. He is steadyish and tries to get forward, despite doing very little when he gets there.

Stone

Smith Martin Hall

Gibbo Pett Charsley Benning

Garrity

Wilson Proctor

My main concern is that defensively we look like conceding most weeks; 2 clean sheets in 7 isn't very good. If we concede in the first half, I think we're finished. We'll be chasing frantically and they'll pick us off on the break. We simply don't have any good attacking options in reserve to change games late on, like we did with Politic.

Swindon are confident, and have every reason to be. They have a superb away record and a style of play that suits this sort of game; they have a lot of pace on the counter, and when needed can kill games through possession and going down easily. It's very effective. I do find some of the Vale fans obsession with their playacting a tad hypocritical considering we've been awful for it all season. Remember Lucas' weekly hamstring tears? It's football lads. Calm down.

Everyone seems obsessed with McKirdy, and he must appear in over 50% of this thread's posts. He's completely wound up most Vale fans, and he'll be delighted. Every touch will be booed and the fans, instead of chanting about Vale, will probably devote most chants to that dreadful "Vale boys, on a bender..." chant. Give him ammunition and he'll punish us. Half the lads on here are doing deep psychological analyses, wishing him genuine injury, deep-diving on the reasons he was released, or banging on about him spitting. If you're that emotionally incontinent that you can't handle a young lad doing a daft machine-gun celebration, having silly hair, and being quite good at football, then seek help. He's got you on strings at present. He played 8 games ffs, move on!

I feel like this game is massive; I don't share the confidence that next season will be inevitably better in an unrelenting march of progress, finishing top 3. Sometimes opportunities present themselves and serious clubs take them. This season, despite all of the difficulties we've faced, has been a huge opportunity to kick-start Vale's regeneration under Carol. We had a huge opportunity post-Hartlepool and failed to take it. We have a huge opportunity here and we don't have a single excuse.

The budgets of four teams in the league (Stockport, Salford, Bradford, and probably Wrexham) are going to be eye-watering next season, and whilst not a guarantee of success, there's a massively strong correlation between budget and league position. If you chuck the money around that these teams will, eventually you get lucky and get it right. It's become apparent that major investment is needed in Vale Park in the coming years and, from what I've heard, the needs are only going to magnify in scale. The investment made by Carol when Flitters and DC were appointed can't be repeated every summer. 

My gut feeling is that this goes to ET and penalties, and I don't like the sound of that at all. Start well, score inside 20, get the crowd rocking, and we have enough about us to bundle our way to Wembley. 

We need the referee to have greater control so that football can decide the outcome instead of the officials. If they clamp down on the fouling early on, it prevents the referee from losing control.

So already their manager is putting pressure on the officials and trying to influence the game.

I can't remember Andy Crosby ever talking about the refs. Hopefully football will do the talking.

All last season,we had 1 more booking than Swindle.....

Sweet Caroline, which I've never heard them play at Vale before, went down well against Newport.

Joe's right, the atmopshere needs building up better. Need some daft records with big choruses.

Three Lions 98
One Step Beyond
Sweet Caroline
Penny Arcade
Wonder of You timed so they walk out during the last 30 seconds

Loved watching Forest v Sheffield got to praise Sheffield for there never say die attitude even though they went a goal down they never gave up and bar some unbelievable goalkeeping would have won. Lessons to be taken from that game! We can do it we have to believe we have to give our all ! If we go down then at the very least go down fighting. Come on u mighty whites! 

38 minutes ago, JSValiant said:

I have to disagree with Andy being the successful manager. 
Don’t get me wrong, he did a good job, but the team didn’t seem to flow as well, we seemed to be making hard work of some of the games.

Crosby is a coach, Clarke is a manager.

I feel a lot more confident about Thursday with Darrell back in Charge.

Just my opinion of course, I don’t want to upset anybody.

UTV

Some of the games in our 9 game unbeaten run you mean? 🙂

16 minutes ago, DazFred said:

We need the referee to have greater control so that football can decide the outcome instead of the officials. If they clamp down on the fouling early on, it prevents the referee from losing control.

So already their manager is putting pressure on the officials and trying to influence the game.

I can't remember Andy Crosby ever talking about the refs. Hopefully football will do the talking.

All last season,we had 1 more booking than Swindle.....

And clamp down on the diving and play acting.

11 minutes ago, Doha said:

Sweet Caroline, which I've never heard them play at Vale before, went down well against Newport.

Joe's right, the atmopshere needs building up better. Need some daft records with big choruses.

Three Lions 98
One Step Beyond
Sweet Caroline
Penny Arcade
Wonder of You timed so they walk out during the last 30 seconds

And get rid of the ace of fecking spares 

Archived