onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

That last sentence is exactly the point I was making a couple of days ago.  If he wasn't good enough, fair enough, but if there was some potential (and clearly there is with 23 goals this season!) then why didn't the management get more out of him and keep him as a part of our set-up?
Were they able to see the potential in training. Last season I think they had to train in small groups due to Covid. He signed late on and didn't show anything in the games he played other than an inability to play as part of a team.

I think he is helped by the right back they have who went off. He was able to get up and down their right hand side and was very strong both offensively and defensively. At first Gibbo was marking Mckirdy then he had to leave him to Hall and pick up the right back. I'm not sure we worked out how to stop both Mckirdy and Egbo and improved when he went off.

When Mckirdy played for us we had Zak Mills playing behind him.

Advert

4 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Maybe that's the case however when he took to the field he showed none of the enthusiasm he is showing for Swindon .
Carol deserved better but if they go through to final I'm blaming it on Askey why didn't he get a better reaction from the lad when it's obvious he had the talent .

It never seemed that obvious to me, Carlisle or any Vale fan who saw his 8 appearances. Nobody was too upset when he left and being honest yes, he deserved a better run than 8 games scattered randomly throughout the season, but he also didn’t do much outside that. Some players click at certain clubs at certain times. Constantine, Myrie Williams, Sodje…all had excellent runs at Vale but were underwhelming afterwards elsewhere.  

8 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

There will be circa 8000 at York on Saturday.National league North Playoff Final v Boston.John Askey,Kingsley James and Mark Goodlad are the management/coaching team at York.

I wish them well,good luck fellas

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:
Fair comment, but it’s effectively the last home game of the season, with a Wembley appearance hanging on it.  Fans will be more than happy to go to Wembley so why not get down the park and help the lads over the line?
To be honest I’m not actually all that bothered so long as we sell a decent number, because I think the atmosphere sometimes suffers when there are too many “big gamers” in attendance.  I appreciate this may be controversial, fans of the future and all that.

Isn't that the point of going into the Hamil, getting all the singers together. As a coincidence Leicester are doing the same thing for next season, they have nominated a section of the ground for singing, STs will be able to swop their seats if in the wrong area.

Absolutely, but it’s not so much the singing I’m referring too, it’s the increase, perceived or otherwise, in negativity and booing when things aren’t going so well.  Most recent example being the Newport game.

33 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Hello admin,any chance you could make a separate thread for those who want to comment on a certain horrible opposition player ? Then we can just post on here about the Vale and Thursday night,cheers.

Apologies. I have commented a few times on Swindles players.

However I have also commented plenty about the game too.

I just want the crowd to get behind the players. No booing at HT plz irrespective of the score.

I'm looking forward to it.

Not been in the Hamil since a testimonial..Aspo,Ray Walker,Porter or Glover. Must have been one of em!

Do we set up to attack and potentially leave spaces, or with the trusted, conservative 532?

I think we should be putting Wilson in behind Proc and Harratt myself. Wilson cannot run, so why make him? He can pass. So why not let him? It’s time to go for it now. Have we got any personalities who can take the heat? Have we got any leaders on the pitch apart from Hall, Gibbo and Proc? We can do this, I really think we can

29 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Apologies. I have commented a few times on Swindles players.

However I have also commented plenty about the game too.

I just want the crowd to get behind the players. No booing at HT plz irrespective of the score.

I'm looking forward to it.

Not been in the Hamil since a testimonial..Aspo,Ray Walker,Porter or Glover. Must have been one of em!

No problems mate... just thought it was getting a bit out of sorts. Sod him,boost us. Like everything else in your reply,come on you Whites! Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

No problems mate... just thought it was getting a bit out of sorts. Sod him,boost us. Like everything else in your reply,come on you Whites! Cheers!

Agreed 

I've gone on a bit! 

Need to start on the front foot and get the crowd behind us.

11315 sold as of 5 p.m.

Nothing like a good crowd at a night match

3 easy steps to victory:

Step 1 - Play the Karate Kid on a loop on all screens at the ground for the whole of tomorrow, before convincing Covolan that McKirdy has doinked his missus. That's McKirdy subjected to the crane technique as he disembarks the Swindon team coach, and out of the game.

Step 2 - Do not, under any circumstances, give Nathan Smith the ball at his feet, particularly in an attempt to play out from the back.

Step 3 - Force feed Proctor Weetabix as his pre-match meal.

4.0 Vale. Jobs a good un

All this talk of the Hamil end has just jogged my memory back to 1969. I had just got my second hand SX200 Lambretta motor scooter from Norman & Birches and had got a date with a girl I fancied from Birches Head. Picked her up and where did I take her. Silly me paid for her and myself to watch the Vale and we stood on the mound at the back of the Hamil end, having a bit of a kiss and cuddle as you do. Kept thinking that I hope my scooters alright on the car park because we had a lot of Lemmy type bikers in Burslem back in those days. Only saw her again once after that, I don't  know if it was me or the Vale she didn't like.  Ps I cant remember her bloody name. 🤣😂😂🤣😂

Swindon fan - I come in peace.

For both clubs, Thursday is massive. Obviously I’m hoping for a positive result, but it’s honestly too close to call for me. It’s definitely going to be about those few ‘moments’. I do genuinely believe whoever gets over the line will win at Wembley. Northampton I can’t see making it, they appear to have run out of steam if I’m honest. Mansfield, well it’s f***ing Mansfield, who cares honestly.

Us Swindon fans, it’s sad for the real football fans that we come across as arrogant because as a fan base I don’t think we are. I think the excitement around the club is that we’re kind of riding the crest of a wave currently, throughout the club. I’ve seen a few people mention us being in the Premier league, it did happen but was also nearly 30 years ago. What I would add to that is that since that point we’ve had shyster owner after shyster owner, they’ve either sucked the club dry or added millions in debt, or both in most cases (which also explains the embarrassing stand you were in on Sunday. Seriously it’s been used maybe 10 times max in the last decade). The club was a judges ruling away from going bust last summer, it was a hostile takeover by the current owner to save the club from a guy who appeared to have a similar plan to the guy who sank Bury FC. I think we are probably the closest anyone has come since Bury, most of us fans thought it would happen, no one getting paid, stadium fenced off, no comms, court cases.. Thankfully the new owner won this battle! It was at this point 2-3 weeks before the start of the season, we had 4 or 5 players contracted, no manager, no back room staff, no medical staff, transfer embargo that we are still under. Our honest target this season was to stay up, maintain league status, we were odds on before a ball was kicked. All of this combined is why much of the fan base is excited, positive, what has been achieved in the space of a year is nothing short of incredible. It’s very much a case of, we’ve got our club back.

For me there are a lot of parallels between you and us, similar type clubs with a similar history, original stadiums (no matter how dilapidated parts of it now are), a solid core of lifetime fans who have been through the ringer more than once with their team. I honestly wish you all the best as fans and a club, Thursday - what will be will be.

Last but not least, an honest view on players.
Obviously I’ll start with McKirdy, he’s done incredibly well this season he really has. Does that come with baggage, definitely but for now he seems to be being managed in the way he needs. Is every Swindon fan waiting for the wheels to fall off, yes of course we are. For now I’ll simply back the guy because he is playing for the shirt.

Williams, a signing that came out of the blue really especially given he was at the Euros last year and has been in every Wales squad he’s been fit for this season. In league 2, we just don’t sign that sort of player, not in their 20’s anyway. There’s a bit more history with our manager and him as a kid, so I think he just wanted to play football. Has he wowed me this season, to be honest, no not really. I think he’s key for the dressing room though, pulls everyone together. 
The rest of the squad has some good guys, Louis Reed (who was pretty average by his standards on Sunday) has been immense this season, his range of passing is one if not two leagues higher. Jack Payne, frustrating at times but bags of ability. Manny Egbo has been awesome since being signed a few months back, I think when he went off on Sunday we looked so much weaker.

McKirdy and Williams - they’re shithouses, we all know it and we can all see it, it’s cringy at times it really is. They’re both players you love when they play for you, but absolutely detest when they play for the other team. Those calling to try and injure players though, you do need to get your heads checked!! Some have mentioned, McKirdy thrives off any abuse, he loves it and this season in particular has always turned up when he’s been getting that abuse. Away at Carlisle after his second I think, fans chucking burgers was a highlight. You won’t, I wouldn’t if it was me, but honestly silence and no reaction would throw him off his game more than anything else. 

So they are my honest views, I’ll wait for the pelters, but from one fan to another, I wish you all the best on Thursday, I think it’ll be an open game after the first 20 mins, may the best team win.

I noticed at the weekend the turnstyles at the bottom of the paddock, on the corner closest to Synetics car park and nearest the Paddock toilets had been knocked down.

Has this been mentioned anywhere? Presume this entry wont be back up and running for Thursday so the entry to the Paddock closest to the ticket office may be busy. Worth noting for anyone that uses them and a sensible idea to get there a even earlier than usual.

6 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

That last sentence is exactly the point I was making a couple of days ago.  If he wasn't good enough, fair enough, but if there was some potential (and clearly there is with 23 goals this season!) then why didn't the management get more out of him and keep him as a part of our set-up?

Or his previous four managers?

And people call Starmer 'Captain Hindsight'! Did one single person on here mourn McKirdy's release? I guess the same people would be complaining that we'd released Theo if if he'd come good at Bradford. We've got one of the most important games in living memory in 2 days, stop whinging about ex players.

Archived