onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What jobs have you done for PVFC

Advert

9 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Yes.

That’ll be Dave Morrison. Strangely enough in the thread about PVFC Swindon. He’s the one whose parents house was on the Hamil by the church so he could watch games from the upstairs bedroom window. Not like us acclimatised ones who sat on the wall. 

7 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

That’ll be Dave Morrison. Strangely enough in the thread about PVFC Swindon. He’s the one whose parents house was on the Hamil by the church so he could watch games from the upstairs bedroom window. Not like us acclimatised ones who sat on the wall. 

His older brother Paul 

2 hours ago, bertiepee said:

The lad was Paul Morrison ,now lives on park estate ,still goes the vale, did you come over and stay at his house for the cup run to the 5 th round against Villa mid 70 s

I went to his house in 1972 for that Blackburn match, but I stayed with the Bennetts. It was a long time till I saw the next match in 1977 v Burnley in the cup. I was going to London to try to get work. Stayed in the George on the Friday and a bnb after the match . What a day that was. When Vale scored the winner through Derek Brownbill , I think, , I lost my wallet on the Lorne St. terrace, and a few mins later , a man tapped me on the shoulder and handed it to me. I wasn’t able to go to the 5th Round at Villa Park, and London eat me alive , returning to Ireland 3 months later. 
One Vale fan told me that I could apply for work at Wedgewood, but I didn’t do it. 

9 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

I went to his house in 1972 for that Blackburn match, but I stayed with the Bennetts. It was a long time till I saw the next match in 1977 v Burnley in the cup. I was going to London to try to get work. Stayed in the George on the Friday and a bnb after the match . What a day that was. When Vale scored the winner through Derek Brownbill , I think, , I lost my wallet on the Lorne St. terrace, and a few mins later , a man tapped me on the shoulder and handed it to me. I wasn’t able to go to the 5th Round at Villa Park, and London eat me alive , returning to Ireland 3 months later. 
One Vale fan told me that I could apply for work at Wedgewood, but I didn’t do it. 

I think you met us in strikes night club in Burslem on Saturday night after the Burnley game ( I was with Paul Morrison )  we were talking to the manager Alan Salt, a big vale fan , and he was saying the atmosphere was great but the previous round replay against Hull was a better atmosphere, 

Painted Lorne street barriers in maybe 1982 as a schoolboy in the big holidays. Covered in black paint.

Then when Carol and Kevin took over i volunteered to do stuff, ended up washing seats which left me cream crackered.

However mine and my lads were gleaming 😂

8 hours ago, bertiepee said:

I think you met us in strikes night club in Burslem on Saturday night after the Burnley game ( I was with Paul Morrison )  we were talking to the manager Alan Salt, a big vale fan , and he was saying the atmosphere was great but the previous round replay against Hull was a better atmosphere, 

That’s right, and you have some memory. That was a great night at strikes, and I was very very drunk. I’m sure that club is long gone now. Thanks 

5 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

That’s right, and you have some memory. That was a great night at strikes, and I was very very drunk. I’m sure that club is long gone now. Thanks 

Long gone but still have my strikes membership card , great days

My time as a Vale fan started about 1960 aged 10 looking after cars  on land between the Vale cafe and church on match days then got a job selling programmes outside the ground moved on to car park attendant onto turnstile opp some of you will remember the ones at the bottom corners of the Hamil & Bycars so you could transfer in to the railway paddock then moved on to the main turnstiles from there helping with the JVs then running the the JV club from the old gym on Hamil road  question how many of you old JVs have still got the badge which was part of the membership package I still have one then did other thing at the vale still go to watch had a ten match ticket this season Hope Carol still carrys this on next season .

I worked in the club shop from 1997 to 1999, I was only 15, my first shift was on the first match of the season against Notts Forest, turned 16 just over a week later. It was just match days to begin with, I would always get a match ticket and get to watch the game, and then it turned to every Saturday, and then during half term while I was at college I was working there 5 days a week but had to leave in 1999 as I was juggling 2 jobs and college and one had to give.

It was back when the shop was separated from the ground on Hamil Road, the marketing staff were housed down the bottom and other staff from the club were working at the bottom area down the steps when work on the Lorne Street was going on.

I have great memories working there and I'm still appreciative of Andy, the then shop manager for giving me a chance and treating me well. Two memories stick out: One was after Steve Guppy left for Leicester, he came to watch a Vale game and he was in the shop and he definitely was at the time and still might be my favourite player that's played in a Vale shirt and I was so nervous speaking to him but he was really accommodating and chatty. I can't remember if it was before or after his England cap but I remember being in awe of him.

The other memory I have is working late on the Friday before the first home game of the season when the Lorne Street reopened, we had to take some stuff up from the shop to the ground and having access to the boxes and lounge area before the fans felt special.

Archived