Jump to content

What jobs have you done for PVFC


Recommended Posts

In 1976 I used to be a ball boy on the Railway Paddock side of the ground. We had to wear our own tracksuits and football boots. We got changed in the old boot room and we’re paid 2p, most of the time there weren’t enough 2p’s for everyone to be paid.Good times. I was told that the BB’s down the Victoria Ground we’re on £5. I never went there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


I have been up the old floodlights with Bill Lodey to change the lamps. A lovely view ! They sway a bit ! You could get a bit seasick if you did not have a head for heights 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember wanting to be a football coach during my schools years and when it came to where I wanna go for work experience. I begged to go the vale.

They sent me to stoke instead... I still turned up in a vale top though. Only thing I remember about that week was nearly getting run over by Michael Duberry as he speeded round like a mad man in his fancy car. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked for the club from 1983 as the club podiatrist until I retired and relinquished my license: I was employed by John Rudge and had some memorable trips on the team coach, invited by Alan Oakes and had tge joy of meeting Ron Atkinson, Jo Royle, Arsen Wenger, Matt Le Tissier, Paul Gascoigne, Paul Merton, Tony Gubba, Bruce Grobbelar and got all their signatures on the relevant programs 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

I worked for the club from 1983 as the club podiatrist until I retired and relinquished my license: I was employed by John Rudge and had some memorable trips on the team coach, invited by Alan Oakes and had tge joy of meeting Ron Atkinson, Jo Royle, Arsen Wenger, Matt Le Tissier, Paul Gascoigne, Paul Merton, Tony Gubba, Bruce Grobbelar and got all their signatures on the relevant programs 

I imagine there’s loads of mundane stuff you have to do to look after your feet if you’re a footballer. Preventing / lancing blisters, soaking your feet in a big bowl of water, even cutting your toenails has to be done properly. Any interesting stories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


3 minutes ago, Santa said:

I imagine there’s loads of mundane stuff you have to do to look after your feet if you’re a footballer. Preventing / lancing blisters, soaking your feet in a big bowl of water, even cutting your toenails has to be done properly. Any interesting stories?

Oh the glamour!😃👍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sort of level of detail interests me. I also need tips how to cut my toenails properly because the ones on my big toe always grow back wrong and dig in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I hitched a lift from Thurles, County Tipperary  to Dublin in November 1973. I’d been following the Vale for 5 years at that time , and had been writing to a Mr.&Mrs. Bennett, who lived in Sneyd Green, and were running the Supporters Club . Got the ferry to Holyhead, train to Crewe, and on to Longton. 
Walked from Longton to Sneyd Green, before miraculously finding the Bennetts walking out their front door to get the coach to Aldershot.  They were shocked and delighted to see me, as I hadn’t told them. Vale drew 0-0, and on the following Monday I went to Vale Park to see them play Blackburn Rovers. I had met a chap whose name was Paul , and he lived in the first semi detached house past the Hamil end , overlooking the ground. He brought me over to the Railway entrance and handed me a load of Golden Goal tickets and off I went selling them . How I found myself on the cinder track in front of the Railway Paddock , is beyond me, but a policeman soon put me right, and into the Paddock I went. Vale lost 2-1 , Woodward scored a piledriver from 20 yards, and I was in a daze . I couldn’t believe what was happening. It was the best football experience of my life , hands down. Sorry to go on, but do any of you remember the Bennetts?They were lovely people, and they treated me like a son. I was 18. In fact , everyone was so kind. Would anyone know who Paul was? Slim chance , I suppose. But Vale Park , the lights , Woodward’s goal. It was magic . UTV 

Edited by Houston Valiant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Houston Valiant said:

I hitched a lift from Thurles, County Tipperary  to Dublin in November 1973. I’d been following the Vale for 5 years at that time , and had been writing to a Mr.&Mrs. Bennett, who lived in Sneyd Green, and were running the Supporters Club . Got the ferry to Holyhead, train to Crewe, and on to Longton. 
Walked from Longton to Sneyd Green, before miraculously finding the Bennetts walking out their front door to get the coach to Aldershot.  They were shocked and delighted to see me, as I hadn’t told them. Vale drew 0-0, and on the following Monday I went to Vale Park to see them play Blackburn Rovers. I had met a chap whose name was Paul , and he lived in the first semi detached house past the Hamil end , overlooking the ground. He brought me over to the Railway entrance and handed me a load of Golden Goal tickets and off I went selling them . How I found myself on the cinder track in front of the Railway Paddock , is beyond me, but a policeman soon put me right, and into the Paddock I went. Vale lost 2-1 , Woodward scored a piledriver from 20 yards, and I was in a daze . I couldn’t believe what was happening. It was the best football experience of my life , hands down. Sorry to go on, but do any of you remember the Bennetts?They were lovely people, and they treated me like a son. I was 18. In fact , everyone was so kind. Would anyone know who Paul was? Slim chance , I suppose. But Vale Park , the lights , Woodward’s goal. It was magic . UTV 

What a fantastic anecdote.

Edit: can’t top that but have been painting the stadium and clearing snow a few times.

Edited by Guitar Ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


56 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Oh the glamour!😃👍

So you know nothing about my profession?

 

I am trained in surgery, fully understanding the  biomechanics have a complete knowledge of the anatomy of the lower limb and the physiology of the body: I am not a chiropodist as you think? I didn’t get a degree for cutting toe nails! And was a director of my professional body, so not that mundane? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Houston Valiant said:

I hitched a lift from Thurles, County Tipperary  to Dublin in November 1973. I’d been following the Vale for 5 years at that time , and had been writing to a Mr.&Mrs. Bennett, who lived in Sneyd Green, and were running the Supporters Club . Got the ferry to Holyhead, train to Crewe, and on to Longton. 
Walked from Longton to Sneyd Green, before miraculously finding the Bennetts walking out their front door to get the coach to Aldershot.  They were shocked and delighted to see me, as I hadn’t told them. Vale drew 0-0, and on the following Monday I went to Vale Park to see them play Blackburn Rovers. I had met a chap whose name was Paul , and he lived in the first semi detached house past the Hamil end , overlooking the ground. He brought me over to the Railway entrance and handed me a load of Golden Goal tickets and off I went selling them . How I found myself on the cinder track in front of the Railway Paddock , is beyond me, but a policeman soon put me right, and into the Paddock I went. Vale lost 2-1 , Woodward scored a piledriver from 20 yards, and I was in a daze . I couldn’t believe what was happening. It was the best football experience of my life , hands down. Sorry to go on, but do any of you remember the Bennetts?They were lovely people, and they treated me like a son. I was 18. In fact , everyone was so kind. Would anyone know who Paul was? Slim chance , I suppose. But Vale Park , the lights , Woodward’s goal. It was magic . UTV 

I remember Harry Bennett and his wife from the away coach (often only one in those days) I also remember Paul but can't recall his surname. I vaguely remember you coming over from Ireland and coming to Aldershot with us. Glad you're still following the Vale.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


1 hour ago, Aguar61 said:

Oh the glamour!😃👍

Loads, they are in Kevin Ken’s book, the blue one and in my autobiography: I am a Burslem boy, my dad had a barbershop in Burslem for over 45 years until he passed away I 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...