Jump to content

  • OVF player sponsorship 2022

    £10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: POS1 Swindon Town v Port Vale


Recommended Posts

Advert:


14 hours ago, Joe B said:

I really like McKirdy.

Excellent footballer (his record this year is a joke), doesn't take himself very seriously, adds a bit of needle to every game he plays in. He livens up the barren and bleak league we play in. 

He may say cheeky things on Instagram and shush Vale fans when he scores, but I've never understood why people lose their heads so much. If it's one of our players, it's all 'yeah! what a great windup! rent-free!', but as soon as a player so much as glances at the Railway after scoring it's bedlam. 

It didn't work for McKirdy with us but by all accounts he's fairly complimentary of the Vale; believe he was pictured with Rudge at the EFL awards. In hindsight I'd have loved to keep him but Clarke is much more of a 'system > individuals' style who seems to favour workrate and discipline over mavericks (McKirdy, Monty, and Manny all left within months of his arrival).

Honestly wish there were more footballers like him. Far more entertaining than lads who refuse to celebrate because they played 4 games for a club on loan 6 years ago, and just tweet 'great win, fans were class' every week.

I'd argue the one thing you don't want to do when you play him is boo him/give him stick. He loves it; thrives off it. It's like a stimulant for him. For all the silly boos he got in the home game, he wound Lucas up into effectively ending his EFL career and then got three assists. Best approach would be to ignore him but football fans have the emotional capacity of a toddler when it comes to opposition grown men shushing them. 

I agree with Joe on this, Didn't every Vale fan dislike Lee Hughes until he signed for us ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

So let's get this right you like a bloke who ended one of our players career and got 3 assists against us .
Very strange comment I'm sure your Vale though and all the other things you right about he wants end another one of our players careers on Sunday I hope the Vale players have good sense not to get themselves sent off just because he is a mouthy full of himself footballer
Still cannot understand how you like him though what's there to like about about a player who was paid for a year by our great owners but deserved nowt .
UTV

Yes, I'm not tribal enough to dislike players on the basis that he played really well against us and was kung-fu kicked by our erratic goalkeeper.

He's a good player who I like to watch, and offers some entertainment with his weird character. I don't want him to do well against us at all, but I've just never felt a hatred of opposition players that much. They're grown men playing a game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Joe B said:

I really like McKirdy.

Excellent footballer (his record this year is a joke), doesn't take himself very seriously, adds a bit of needle to every game he plays in. He livens up the barren and bleak league we play in. 

He may say cheeky things on Instagram and shush Vale fans when he scores, but I've never understood why people lose their heads so much. If it's one of our players, it's all 'yeah! what a great windup! rent-free!', but as soon as a player so much as glances at the Railway after scoring it's bedlam. 

It didn't work for McKirdy with us but by all accounts he's fairly complimentary of the Vale; believe he was pictured with Rudge at the EFL awards. In hindsight I'd have loved to keep him but Clarke is much more of a 'system > individuals' style who seems to favour workrate and discipline over mavericks (McKirdy, Monty, and Manny all left within months of his arrival).

Honestly wish there were more footballers like him. Far more entertaining than lads who refuse to celebrate because they played 4 games for a club on loan 6 years ago, and just tweet 'great win, fans were class' every week.

I'd argue the one thing you don't want to do when you play him is boo him/give him stick. He loves it; thrives off it. It's like a stimulant for him. For all the silly boos he got in the home game, he wound Lucas up into effectively ending his EFL career and then got three assists. Best approach would be to ignore him but football fans have the emotional capacity of a toddler when it comes to opposition grown men shushing them. 

I'm the same. I like him a lot.

I felt he was the type of player Vale fans would love as a bit of a cult hero - ie that talented maverick who is a bit of a headcase (a la Gary Roberts).

We do need someone like him in our side with his direct running, ability to take players out of the game and ability to produce something from nothing.

Feel like it's written in the stars that he will score against us and do his 'machine gun' celebration at our fans!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


21 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I'm the same. I like him a lot.

I felt he was the type of player Vale fans would love as a bit of a cult hero - ie that talented maverick who is a bit of a headcase (a la Gary Roberts).

We do need someone like him in our side with his direct running, ability to take players out of the game and ability to produce something from nothing.

Feel like it's written in the stars that he will score against us and do his 'machine gun' celebration at our fans!

 

Maybe the fact it was behind closed doors did him no favours at Vale, although we thought Rodney would thrive with fans behind him and look how that went. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only see it being ye olde 532, or the 3412 against Exeter.

For me, the game boils down to two aspects Vale have to control:

. Getting too tight to McKirdy, letting him bring others in to play, and coming out of position to meet him in 50-50s. There's no need for any of that. Just hold the shape, prevent the running in behind and keep the discipline.

. Getting overrun in midfield by dynamic passing and moving, which takes advantage of the centre mids seeming to have no defined roles without Walker in there. If we're outnumbered, we could lose the battle completely in there, but HC, TP and BG as a 3 together has been midtable nonsense, not playoff calibre, so I would hesitate going back to that. The players need to be up for this physically and be prepared to put their foot in constantly for 90 mins, that's what it's going to take. Edmundson seems to have a little bite, but Garrity needs to be at his ratty best and Pett needs to show he can be tougher.

Solve them, and the rest takes care of itself. Solid defence, dangerous striker pair, and I think Gibbo starts and gives the whole team a lift. Find a cameo for Worrall further forward in the 10, why he hasn't been put there before I have no idea because for me that's been his most productive position throughout his Vale career.

We can win both ties. The away pitch is better for flowing football and that plays into our hands. The longer the gap, the more the likes of Walker might be involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The match is going to be live on German TV. I've just had a tweet from the commentator asking for a chat so he can get some background notes on the Vale players. Whatever happens, this game is certainly going to increase the profile of the club both home and abroad.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would also help the profile of the club if we knew if Robbie was coming to the match. I also think that Jonathon Wilkes's lad was a young player at Swindon, but I don't know if he is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The match is going to be won and lost in midfield I think. They have probably technically better players in midfield but our pressing and hounding will be better. If we can stop them knocking it around in midfield and win the ball high up the pitch bringing the wing backs into play then we have a good chance. If we turn up half hearted like against Walsall and Newport then we might struggle.



Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


On 11/05/2022 at 14:48, DazFred said:

I see. He didn't do much for Vale did he? 

Most famous for playing for Blackpool in the FA Cup Final...

 

On 11/05/2022 at 14:48, DazFred said:

I see. He didn't do much for Vale did he? 

Most famous for playing for Blackpool in the FA Cup Final...

Quote

He did what all the top teams were doing to attract young talent. Because Vale suddenly attracted all the good young players we were targeted by the authorities. Mathews actually was a Vale fan as a youngster and he was devastated when Vale got punished.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm not tribal enough to dislike players on the basis that he played really well against us and was kung-fu kicked by our erratic goalkeeper.
He's a good player who I like to watch, and offers some entertainment with his weird character. I don't want him to do well against us at all, but I've just never felt a hatred of opposition players that much. They're grown men playing a game.
Fair enough shame he never showed what he as for Swindon for Vale .
I'm going the game so I'm there support Vale not hate Mckirdy so you got that wrong ,I think giving him grieve will aid them so constant support of Vale and our players and ignore him ,he never did it for Vale so I have no respect for him whatsoever and I hope over two legs he is on the losing side on aggregate.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Swindon fans mention their team having a lack of height and being susceptable at set pieces / crosses (sounds familiar).

Anyway this might be an area that proctor can exploit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s going to interesting how this plays out over two legs ! Certainly going to test the managers awareness! Let’s hope we can take a positive result back to VP and the players do us proud. Exeter aside the performances have been way off the mark the last three games. A long trek Sunday so come on u whites give us something to shout about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...