Match Thread: POS1 Swindon Town v Port Vale

What is it with other teams in League Two being utterly obsessed with us recently?

If it wasn't Bristol and Walsall fans jumping onto anything Vale related, now Swindon fans are at it ridiculing our away support at their place over the last few years?

They reckon we won't sell 1,200!

Whatever happened to just focusing on your own team?!

• Like 1

Advert:

4 hours ago, barny61 said:

I remember one of Jones's throws at Forest Green this season when we beat them, he launched one  down the touchline like an exocet missile to Garrity who latched onto it cut inside and should have scored but the keeper saved it.

Fair enough, I was at the game but don’t remember that.

Its going to be a bit nervy for me, not sure i will be able to sit in the railway second leg without having no fingernails left. Ive not seen many boring play offs games and i doubt this will be any different. There will be some mad ending in this tie for the cameras im certain. lets hope we can get the job done and get ourselves to wembley.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fair enough, I was at the game but don’t remember that.

54 seconds in. I was there too that day.

I was more meaning an actual throw launched into the box directly, and flick on in the box when i meant no chances created but Barny is right that in this game a long throw did lead to a chance.

Edited by darren1810

Advert:

I don't think we can read too much into our games against them this season. Their team originally had a lot of loans and it has changed a lot throughout the season. I mentioned it in a previous post but their midfield is very strong (williams, Reed, Payne, Gladwin). Seems to be the one consistent thing throughout their season.

I've posted their lineups from our two games and their most recent game vs wallsal. Interesting how they have used a variety of formations. Also although the circumstances were very different i'd argue that both swindon and vale have had the biggest churn of players at the start of the season and throughout. It's a credit to management that we are both in the playoffs.

FIRST GAME

Screenshot_20220510-062907_Google.thumb.jpg.0aabb9a809ebb23dd6f519f2d1a4b9f7.jpg

SECOND GAME

Screenshot_20220510-062822_Google.thumb.jpg.325a04b4c792695ff2db230cdc96c6b8.jpg

THEIR MOST RECENT GAME

Screenshot_20220510-063506_Google.thumb.jpg.78fec4898b1307cbb5baf862b284bd2d.jpg

• Like 1

I've had a ganders at their forum. Properly getting knickers in a twist and slating us.

Somebody has even gone to the lengths of posting every single Vale away attendance this season on a Swindle forum, Think they need to get out more. 

Clearly they think they are something special and one wag says because we haven't been in the Premier league we are akin to Crawley and MK Dons.

Come on Vale any chance you can smash this entitled lot into oblivion with a 98th minute penalty winner in the 2nd leg !!!! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I've had a ganders at their forum. Properly getting knickers in a twist and slating us.

Somebody has even gone to the lengths of posting every single Vale away attendance this season on a Swindle forum, Think they need to get out more. 

Clearly they think they are something special and one wag says because we haven't been in the Premier league we are akin to Crawley and MK Dons.

Come on Vale any chance you can smash this entitled lot into oblivion with a 98th minute penalty winner in the 2nd leg !!!! 

That quote about Crawley and MK Dons was a bit like a comment The Bloatcake would make

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I was more meaning an actual throw launched into the box directly, and flick on in the box when i meant no chances created but Barny is right that in this game a long throw did lead to a chance.

To be honest if we include any long throw, not just direct into the box, and we’ve only made one decent chance from the numerous throws Jones must’ve taken it still speaks volumes.  The flip side is that it does create that bit of added pressure, even though we haven’t capitalised.

• Like 1

Swindon are poor man's Exeter. Pass and move with an overloaded midfield. Hall, Pett, Gibbo, Proc and Wilson all getting the 8 days rest they need will be the difference. I would only revert back to 3 in the middle if Walker is back because we're just chasing shadows and not making meaningful challenges without him there. Gibbo surely to start and a solid back 5 will keep a clean sheet, it's just up the others then. I'm very confident Vale win the tie, and could easily end up winning both games. It's a completely different team to the one that underperformed at home against them. We just can't have another game where a dirty side come and bully us off the ball like Bristol, because we just shrunk and even though they got away with a lot, we didn't help ourselves. Got to be ready and willing in that area of the game.

• Like 1

Advert:

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Garrity on the charge is the stuff of nightmares to defences. Let's see that version on Sunday!

• Like 2

Swindon are poor man's Exeter. Pass and move with an overloaded midfield. Hall, Pett, Gibbo, Proc and Wilson all getting the 8 days rest they need will be the difference. I would only revert back to 3 in the middle if Walker is back because we're just chasing shadows and not making meaningful challenges without him there. Gibbo surely to start and a solid back 5 will keep a clean sheet, it's just up the others then. I'm very confident Vale win the tie, and could easily end up winning both games. It's a completely different team to the one that underperformed at home against them. We just can't have another game where a dirty side come and bully us off the ball like Bristol, because we just shrunk and even though they got away with a lot, we didn't help ourselves. Got to be ready and willing in that area of the game.
I can't remember who was missing from our team when we played at home, I'm assuming 3/4 players were out injured?

Wilson was also in his recovery from a fracture underperforming stage. And Covolan got us down to 10 on 45+3, literally right before we’d have made big tactical changes at HT. 

• Like 1

Advert:

23 minutes ago, Doha said:

Weird lot aren’t they?

According to their forum Vale are all plastics. Quite how or why has not been established.

If they do their research they will see our away average this season is a handful lower than theirs! and had we had the same allocation at Walsall it would probably have been better than theirs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Doha said:

Wilson was also in his recovery from a fracture underperforming stage. And Covolan got us down to 10 on 45+3, literally right before we’d have made big tactical changes at HT. 

It was only our 2nd game since December 11th. As you say Wilson was just feeling his way back. No Proctor that day and Connor Hall and Hussey making debuts.