Match Thread: POS1 Swindon Town v Port Vale

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Suicide passes, running the ball out of play, giving the ball away, lost McKirdy from the corner... he even lined up a long throw & let it slip out of his hands. He was pants. Had a good first 10 minutes then nothing. 

Christ it was throwing it down, the ball was wet as were the kits, you could see him asking the bench for a towel because he couldn’t dry it. Suicide passes? Don’t recall those. They’re all professional players who will have the ball under any circumstances and pressure, just because we’d <ovf censored> our pants having the ball so tight up at powerleague doesn’t mean it’s a problem for them. He kept going all game for me and was always an outlet. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Advert:

Do you agree with her keep finding jobs for all the ex Players like Anthony Griffith and Billy Painter etc. 
 She needs to be careful how many staff she employs and be careful with the Budget, she hasn’t got a Bottomless Pit.
It is a business as well as a Football Team.

I may be way off the mark here, but maybe Carol is in a better position to judge her finances and what she can afford? If only she were a successful business woman.....
  • Like 8

We just have to see this as being 2-1 down at half time with a massive half to come now at VP

Get the first goal and it really could be anybodys,i thought they were the better team by a mile footballing wise BUT we showed that their defence can be shaky when got at and thats what we need to do Thursday now,i do think today showed what a miss Conlon and Walker are in the middle and how we lack pace all over really. I hope we push Garrity further forward,he was far more affective when Charlsley went off.

One question,is it the same ref for the second leg?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Play-off games are always tense and nervy, there is a lot at stake, we are fortunate and have the 2nd leg at home, the ball is in our court.

Absolutely Fosse, you can't get through to Wembley in the first leg but you can put yourself out of it with a big loss. Still all to play for this.

• Like 1

Hoping midfield is a key focus area on our recruitment in the summer. We are full of heart and endeavour but think a little more playmaking ability into the mix has to be our next step.
I'd disagree with that. I think our midfield is our strongest area.

We're just missing two composed, technical players in Conlon and Walker, so having to play our backups in Charsley and Taylor.

Advert:

3 hours ago, JimmyPVFC said:

Not sure what the management were thinkin letting him go, decisions like that make we start to lose faith in them. John Rudge would never let a player of that calibre go

I too, was disappointed--he appeard to me to be a natural goal-scorer (an I'm not just saying that in hindsight).  However, there were rumours about his attitude within the squad and that's a call, only a manager can make as to whether or not any disruptive element outways potential to offer a team goals.  His contribution in that department to Swindon this season, is undeniable!

2 hours ago, JimmyPVFC said:

It might work in our favour will be I interesting to see how swindon set up, will they try to defend the lead I dont think so I dont think they can to many offensive players in there team which might enable us to get the goals. We do tend to struggle against teams who sit in swindon dont but we just need make sure we dont get beat on the break.

No,their manager already said they are going out to win both games,they will come at us,they only know one way to play and thats possession based attacking,so we can get at them on the break,just wish we had a bit more pace but we have to be clever now

2 hours ago, Doha said:

Smith will never be the ball playing RCB they are trying to make him. He isn't that kind of player. He's a rough and tumble centre half and no more, he will never be Maldini.

He spooned the ball out for the corner, poor. It was Gibbo who lost HM for the goal. Awful goal all round from our point of view.

Martin gives me anxiety 9 times out of 10 the ball goes near him, either because it bounces or because he takes a heavy touch and gets into trouble.

Can we stick with a back 3 ???

No, with the players we have !!!

Smith cannot play on the right. He is awful with the ball. martin is the poor choice for me in the centre. Too many mistakes and not strong enough. It has to be Smith in the centre.

Who can play on the  right. Cannot be Gibbons, the obvious choice, because he is a poor defender at crosses. Not tall enough. Cass did it and Cass also far better as a footballer than Gibbons. No one else to play there.

So drop the  3 5 2 and go 4 4 2, besides Worrall is finished as a wide player and must be replaced if we are to create and score goals.

Has to be Gibbons  Smith  Hall  Benning.  Then we need to sort a midfield that can create and done tell me Taylor. Taylor is another to be left out.

Do you agree with her keep finding jobs for all the ex Players like Anthony Griffith and Billy Painter etc. 
 She needs to be careful how many staff she employs and be careful with the Budget, she hasn’t got a Bottomless Pit.
It is a business as well as a Football Team.

Ill informed, stupid comment.

Look at the latest set of accounts, staff numbers have decreased.
  • Like 4

Advert:

I don’t think we were that bad in either half and created some decent moments, for all the fuss about Swindon’s midfield we had more possession but we need a bit more up top.

Swindon’s goals both came a little against the run of play but I felt we beat ourselves today. First goal is a poor one, first to give the corner away but then to let a small lad like McKirdy get a free header and score. That was criminal.

Second goal i felt Stone should do better in terms of where he parries it out too. From the angle push it out not into the centre of the box.

Referee was crap, any touch they fell over and it’s a free kick but didn’t really give the same back to us especially first half.

Huge goal from Willo and sets up a big tie, their interviews they seemed to be thinking it’s job done because of their away form so hopefully we catch them on the hop. Huge start needed and first goal is crucial, if we score first then the place will be rocking and hopefully can get them on the ropes.

Not over by a long way but need to be better defensively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperHuman said:

Benning comes in for Worrall for me. He’s earned his spot over the past few months a lot more than Worrall has. 

Agreed,Worrall still looks troubled to me,so as you say i would go with Benning on the left and Gibbo on the right,lets get at them

2 hours ago, Valiant in Brum said:

The game was not pleasing to the eye. It was an awful game all around. However I see some Vale fans like to just be negitive. We need do better and if ee play at our best we would have won that.

The stats however people would like to see it say its more even. Screenshot_20220515-140950_Google.jpg

If you need stats to give a verdict on a football match that youhave just seen, then you are in trouble. Stats will read whatever you want them too.

Today we were poor. Half time should have been nil nil and a terrible game. Two awful mistakes by Smith and Gibbons gave the lead to Swindon. Overall Swindon were the team who deserved the win. They have players who know how to move forward, create, score goals. Perhaps they had an off day today otherwise it could have been all over.

Posted (edited)

Just back. Not had chance read the thread.

First half we just didnt seem at it. Worrall didnt seem his normal self and their centre backs were winning everything (not sure why we persist with the same route when we can see something isnt working)

Second half better when we pushed garrity further forward. Worrall to be fair showed some glimpes of his old form towards the very end. We also started winning headers when proctor came on + seemed better balanced with Benning on the left.

To be fair to Swindon they had good movement all over the pitch / set pieces.

Glad we are still in this - two goal defecit would of been tough, but we can beat these. 

Edited by rwhite
added comments
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mbycars said:

McKirdy was quoted as saying he would never play for the Vale and while he was on the field for us he never did.

He only came here because nobody else would take him on and it was close to family for him,Askey didn't want him(thats why he was a late signing) and all that is FACT,also a massive stoke fan(thats not the problem as we have had them at the club) who openly admits he hates the Vale and as you say he DID say he would never be seen in a Vale shirt(well until nobody wanted him),when picked he couldn't be arsed so for me he could of stayed here for 3 years but he would never be a 20 goal forward for us simply because he didn't want to be.

No doubting his talent,showed it at Carlise and Swindon but would NEVER do so for us,a massive knob 

Edited by werstayinup
  • Like 9

Advert:

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

Ill informed, stupid comment.

Look at the latest set of accounts, staff numbers have decreased.

Yeh like the ticket situation etc and the Turnstile Sagas with Larger crowds. It’s how you utilise what staff you have and what they contribute.

It maybe stupid to you. but long term successful business owners have to be nasty at times ask Alan Sugar. Simon Jordan etc.  
I wasn’t been critical of Carol, she says herself she has made mistakes and is learning as she goes on. 
Letting John Askey stay on as long as she did, was one.

Why do people read the word ruthless as being a Negative?

Posted (edited)

I thought we played quite well, better than at Exeter and the few games before that. Fairly equal game with Mckirdy being the difference, Swindon fans love him! Definitely would have taken 1-2 when they scored first, got a game on next Thursday and definitely stand a good chance.

Edited by philpvfc
  • Like 5