Match Thread: POS1 Swindon Town v Port Vale

We are still in it, Wilson’s goal maybe priceless come 90 minutes Thursday.

Me and my youngest will be singing our hearts out Thursday to get the lads over the line. Be very strange from the Hamil end but does not matter.

Yesterday I said I would take a 2-1 loss  back to Vale Park. Full crowd cheering the lads on. 

VTID

• Like 4

Advert:

I know we've played 3 CBs all season but I think we looked much more balanced when Smith went to CB with Gibbo and Benning as full backs.

Wozza is definitely not fit so does Edmonson take his position?

Taylor did ok for me...we played more on the grass and looked much more threatening in the 2nd half. I think they thought they'd won 2-0. I'd love Wilson to get more of those tap ins.

They really weren't that much better than us.

I'm looking forward to Thursday

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Jgpvfc said:
I didn’t like Clarkes team today. His subs were much better and Benning and Proctor offered something different. He needs to find a way to get Worrall higher up the pitch as he’s just a passenger otherwise.
We look very immobile and slow. No pace in the team at all.
Note sure why McKirdy gets so much grief from us. He’s a good player at this level and we didn’t exactly utilise him when he was here. 

Proctor on injections so 30 mins was all he could do, better when the pace had slowed.

• Like 1

Just now, JSValiant said:

Yeh, why did it take 80 minutes before we really looked the part.

I am sure these players can do it that is the Frustrating thing.

Lets hope we get to grips with McKirdy for once, on Thursday and learn from the fact not to give their midfield so much space like we did first half and like we did in January at Vale Park. 
Let’s do it on TV for once, let’s play like we did in the 1989 Play Off Final Second Leg against Bristol Rovers.

After we scored I really fancied us to get another.

But then again, when was the last time we played well in front of a full house and/or the telly. 

I have to say I was really disappointed with Worrall. Been a great servant but doesn’t start for me on Thursday I’m afraid.

That said, there are a few things we need to work on over the next few days, like how to get some form of effective midfield.

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
7 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:
He should have been made to be arsed, then we'd now have a 22 goal scorer on our books, and not on Swindon's.

You should be a football manager with insights like that. Easy ain't it?!

So what did the Swindon manager do that ours couldn't?

• Like 1

Advert:

Just now, Powerline said:

Yes we are still in the tie.
But we can’t carry Taylor just because of one pass. He was absolutely powderpuff today and against Rovers. Brought absolutely nothing to the game today whatsoever.

We don't carry Taylor, he competes, covers, shadows and defends as much as any other midfield player, what do you watch.

If you didn't see that Vale played better 2nd half and that's not totally down to Taylor but at least Taylor bought some shape, pattern and passing ability to the team.

DC just said, "We've gotta be better on the ball", damn right so play Jake Taylor.

• Like 3

We’ve done well to make it this far with backup midfielders but when other teams have their fully fit team at crunch time the differences is night and day. That could have easily been 3/4, and the home game was a farce that just needed playing out. That said we’re still alive and we’ll bring it for the fans at home. It’s not over, but it will be if we don’t improve, I’m sure that will be DCs message.

Just now, SuperHuman said:

Benning comes in for Worrall for me. He’s earned his spot over the past few months a lot more than Worrall has. 

Got to agree.. Gibbons on the right and Benning on the left. 

• Like 5

Advert:

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 1 said:

Got out of jail at the end with a largely underserved goal. 

Of course the goals deserved. We created it and took the chance. Don’t know why fans are so negative and down on things when we do something decent. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Benning comes in for Worrall for me. He’s earned his spot over the past few months a lot more than Worrall has. 

Have to agree, far more was happening for us down the left with gibbo showing much more than worrall was. 

I have just listened to Darrell Clarke’s interview and he has said the same as a lot of frustrated and disappointed Vale Fans have said and feel, who have been chastened by other Fans on this Forum.

He says he has had a go at them in the dressing room. 
He said we have got to be better and we haven’t been at it for  a number of weeks now, which we haven’t to be fair.

He says he knows we aren’t technical enough in midfield and are missing Conlon.

The last 10 minutes of the match and Clarke’s Interview have given me a bit more confidence for the second leg. UTV

Posted (edited)

Stone
Gibbo Smith Hall Benning

Pett Taylor

Garrity

Worrall                      Wilson

Proctor

Can’t help but feel we would look miles better playing this type of set up on Thursday. Obviously if Walker was fit he’d be in for Taylor but assume with him not even being on the bench today that he’s done for the season.

Edited by saintvaliant

Can we ban the TV cameras from vale park on Thursday. 3 times we have been on TV this season and no wins. In fact we haven't won on TV since vale won away at mk Dons 1 nil when Alex Jones missed a penalty and put the rebound in so 5 and a half years ago.

Advert:

17 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

We don't carry Taylor, he competes, covers, shadows and defends as much as any other midfield player, what do you watch.

If you didn't see that Vale played better 2nd half and that's not totally down to Taylor but at least Taylor bought some shape, pattern and passing ability to the team.

DC just said, "We've gotta be better on the ball", damn right so play Jake Taylor.

Got to disagree. He was totally anonymous when on. Only things I can remember him doing is having a pea roller shot that went miles wide, and getting hugely outmuscled in the run up to their second.