Match Thread: POS1 Swindon Town v Port Vale

Advert:

Got out of jail at the end with a largely underserved goal. Still in the tie but we’ll have to play completely differently. Williams and Payne ran the show and it’s embarrassing watching Charsley and Pett chase after them like youth team players. If Proctor doesn’t start then that’s a humongous, potentially fatal loss. Proctor is the number 1 guy up front, and without him we cannot get or keep the ball higher up the pitch with consistency.

1 minute ago, Doha said:

Smith will never be the ball playing RCB they are trying to make him. He isn't that kind of player. He's a rough and tumble centre half and no more, he will never be Maldini.

He spooned the ball out for the corner, poor. It was Gibbo who lost HM for the goal. Awful goal all round from our point of view.

Martin gives me anxiety 9 times out of 10 the ball goes near him, either because it bounces or because he takes a heavy touch and gets into trouble.

So it’s ok for smith because he’s not that kind of player. But it’s ok to criticise Martin? Since when is Martin a ball playing CB. Better than Hall today but we love hall so let’s give Martin more <ovf censored> even though he’s been great 

• Like 4

We’ve got to be on the front foot on Thursday and play in their half. We can pose their defence problems.

If we let them play and impose themselves then it could be a difficult night.

Advert:

I’m not sure why Taylor does get a lot of abuse, I thought when he come on he put his foot on the ball and made a few passes and was showing for the ball whereas Pett, Charsley and Garrity were non existent in the first half.

Taylor needs to play in the Garrity role as he’s done nothing the last few games. Not slagging Garrity as he’s been a good player this season but he has gone missing recently. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mattpvfc said:

Why the hell did we get rid of mckirdy??

He wasn't bothered playing for us was he?

And we're far from the first club where that's happened.

He's been picked up by a manager and club that suits him by the look of it.

I don't mind him giving it to our fans either particularly. The over sanitised version of footy we've got now could do with some of that.

Is he on my Christmas card list, no.

Do I miss him, no.

Do I hate him, no.

Edited by eh up nah

Smith will never be the ball playing RCB they are trying to make him. He isn't that kind of player. He's a rough and tumble centre half and no more, he will never be Maldini.
He spooned the ball out for the corner, poor. It was Gibbo who lost HM for the goal. Awful goal all round from our point of view.
Martin gives me anxiety 9 times out of 10 the ball goes near him, either because it bounces or because he takes a heavy touch and gets into trouble.

Smith doesn't?! Martin has been excellent for the past 2 months. But just because you seem to accept that Smith is woeful with the ball at his feet, that's OK if he messes up with it but Martin doesn't get the same treatment despite you seeming to think that he's just as bad with the ball at his feet?
  • Like 2

So it’s ok for smith because he’s not that kind of player. But it’s ok to criticise Martin? Since when is Martin a ball playing CB. Better than Hall today but we love hall so let’s give Martin more even though he’s been great 
Spot on. You beat me to it

Advert:

People saying we shouldn’t have released McKirdy have short memories. Stevenage away anyone? He was total rubbish for us last season, didn’t put the effort in, and by all accounts was a rotten apple in the squad. On what grounds would we have kept him? I don’t particularly care what he’s done after.

• Like 5

Just now, PortVale4Life said:

So it’s ok for smith because he’s not that kind of player. But it’s ok to criticise Martin? Since when is Martin a ball playing CB. Better than Hall today but we love hall so let’s give Martin more <ovf censored> even though he’s been great 

I really don't know what you're on about, I've never said Martin is a ball playing CB.

He isn't, Smith isn't. If the opposition broke forward I'd be far more nervous if it was up to Martin to clear it than Smith. That Davison chance on 70 mins Sky have just replayed is a typical Martin mistake.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The game was not pleasing to the eye. It was an awful game all around. However I see some Vale fans like to just be negitive. We need do better and if ee play at our best we would have won that.

The stats however people would like to see it say its more even. Screenshot_20220515-140950_Google.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Doha said:

I really don't know what you're on about, I've never said Martin is a ball playing CB.

He isn't, Smith isn't. If the opposition broke forward I'd be far more nervous if it was up to Martin to clear it than Smith. That Davison chance on 70 mins Sky have just replayed is a typical Martin mistake.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

And the GOAL was a smith mistake. What is your point 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, philmpv said:
40 minutes ago, Doha said:

Smith doesn't?! Martin has been excellent for the past 2 months. But just because you seem to accept that Smith is woeful with the ball at his feet, that's OK if he messes up with it but Martin doesn't get the same treatment despite you seeming to think that he's just as bad with the ball at his feet?

You're constructing a strawman from things I didn't actually say.

Smith isn't a ball playing RCB. This recurrent tactic in recent months of him playing it out from the back doesn't work. He isn't good enough for that.

What he is good enough to do is stand firm as a rough and tumble CB with a centre forward backing into him and hoof it clear. Martin scares me when it's up to him to fulfill that task. Maybe I wasn't clear enough initially but there's a world of difference in thinking that Smith can't play like a Maldini vs Smith is more composed when grappling a forward when it needs hoofing clear.

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1

Advert:

9 minutes ago, 1 said:

This system requires Vale to keep possession of the ball and wait for support. We haven’t got the passing quality to hold the ball, so we never get that whole team movement up the pitch. Swindon get bodies forward quickly. 

So if you haven’t got the passing quality to keep hold of the ball, play a system that doesn’t require you to have the ball so much.

Swindon will be kicking themselves because at 2-0 the tie was borderline down. We’ve got ourselves a chance again but need to show the cojones to grab that chance.