• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

10 hours ago, MBE said:

Regardless of the league I really don’t see major changes. Probably looking at 3-5 new players to refresh it and address our weaknesses.

I think a few of our lads like Smith, ,Conlon ,Gibbo,Walker,Wilson will be better in L1.

You may be right, but I don’t see 5 in 5 out, unless that is new permys and then 3-4 loans are on top? In which case it might be. I think some of the players like Martin, Jones, Cov will be flipped like Legge.

• Like 1

Advert:

9 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

There was a rumour we were talking to him in January.....he has since gone back into the Ipswich team and done ok. He's perhaps the 'fox in the box' we are missing.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

IF we went up then i think he is the kind of player to target but as i said there will be plenty after him imo and not sure we will break our wage structure

My comment might be a little bit influenced by yesterday's performance but I would like us to sign Ryan Edmondson as a player who has a lot of potential.

Has some experience, works hard, tall - maybe a bit of a target man eventually and has a bit of pace, also his touch isn't too bad.

probably needs to work on his decision making in the final third but who doesn't.

Upfront next season I would like to see 5 strikers on the books: Wilson, Proctor & another in the same calibre as these two but more a 'goal poacher' with pace. Edmondson (young with potential) and maybe a decent loanee.

• Like 4

Kane Smith from Boreham Wood, Ephron Mason-Clark from Barnet, and Joe Sbarra from Solihull are players I imagine are high on the Matrix's Big Board.

Advert:

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Kane Smith from Boreham Wood, Ephron Mason-Clark from Barnet, and Joe Sbarra from Solihull are players I imagine are high on the Matrix's Big Board.

I think we will certainly have an eye on a couple of national league players with potential

3 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

My comment might be a little bit influenced by yesterday's performance but I would like us to sign Ryan Edmondson as a player who has a lot of potential.

Has some experience, works hard, tall - maybe a bit of a target man eventually and has a bit of pace, also his touch isn't too bad.

probably needs to work on his decision making in the final third but who doesn't.

Upfront next season I would like to see 5 strikers on the books: Wilson, Proctor & another in the same calibre as these two but more a 'goal poacher' with pace. Edmondson (young with potential) and maybe a decent loanee.

I've been thinking that for a while. I think he has some potential. Harratt's on a long-term contract and seems to be highly rated by Hudd so we're never going to get him. However, I think Edmondson's only got a year left and he's highly unlikely to break through at Leeds. There's a decent chance they'd release him by mutual consent if we wanted him, I reckon.

I am sure we'll look at experienced cover for Proctor/Wilson (presuming both stay) as well but I think Edmondson will make a decent back-up option too and could well develop into a good asset for the club.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, robf said:

I've been thinking that for a while. I think he has some potential. Harratt's on a long-term contract and seems to be highly rated by Hudd so we're never going to get him. However, I think Edmondson's only got a year left and he's highly unlikely to break through at Leeds. There's a decent chance they'd release him by mutual consent if we wanted him, I reckon.

I am sure we'll look at experienced cover for Proctor/Wilson (presuming both stay) as well but I think Edmondson will make a decent back-up option too and could well develop into a good asset for the club.

I agree,i dont think we will want to be hit again if Proctor and Wilson are out so i expect at least one experienced striker to come in(the calibre will depend on which league we are in imo) and a couple of young lads as well.

So we would have Wilson,Proctor(if he signs a new deal) plus an experienced striker and 2 raw ones meaning 5 forwards and i think we would go with that

57 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I agree,i dont think we will want to be hit again if Proctor and Wilson are out so i expect at least one experienced striker to come in(the calibre will depend on which league we are in imo) and a couple of young lads as well.

So we would have Wilson,Proctor(if he signs a new deal) plus an experienced striker and 2 raw ones meaning 5 forwards and i think we would go with that

a sold center half and experienced keeper for me. oh yes and a midfield hardman who ca put hs foot on the ball:drink:  (and not fall over!)

• Like 1

Personally I can see an experienced goalkeeper coming in 
Maybe one or 2 of them going maybe out on loan etc 
Experience has told us that just because the player is under contract does not mean DC will not try to move them on if he thinks they aren't the right fit.
  • Like 1

Advert:

Carlisles retained list

Players released: Lewis Alessandra, Danny Devine, Mark Howard, Jamie Devitt*, Manasse Mampala, Rod McDonald, Kelvin Mellor and Gime Toure.

*Jamie Devitt will be invited back for pre-season training.

I think we need some REAL pace in the team. Depending on what happens with current the 4 wing back/full backs I'd really like some blistering pace there to stretch teams

It would appear Cooper left us shortly after the Colchester game in March . 
Personal reasons seems to crop up regularly since his move over from Northern Ireland perhaps he just can’t settle over here , unfortunately this happens with some . 

Advert:

On 03/05/2022 at 17:20, robf said:

So as far as I can make it:

Under contract
Sam Robinson (2023)
Harry Charsley (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Connor Hall (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Chris Hussey (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Lucas Covolan (2023)
James Wilson (2023)
Brad Walker (2023)
Dan Jones (2023)
Ben Garrity (2023)*
Aaron Martin (2023)*
Tom Pett (2023)
Alex Hurst (2023)
Jake Taylor (2024)
Tom Conlon (2024)

* not confirmed by the club but in the press releases during the summer they put the year the player was contracted to in the article image and those were the years used for those players so I presume they are correct

Out of contract
Aidan Stone (has option for another 12 months may be activated by number of games played but I am not sure)
Jamie Proctor
Mal Benning
David Amoo
David Worrall
James Gibbons
Nathan Smith

Loanees returning
Joel Cooper
Tomas Holy
Ryan Edmondson
Kiatt Harratt

I don't agree that keeper is a huge priority - Stone, given how much he is improving, and Covolan are fine for either League One or Two. So I would get Stone signed up long-term. I want Proctor, Gibbons and Smith for sure, and I think Benning has probably *just* shown enough for me to want to give him another year.

I really want to want to keep Worrall, but the way he's stopped taking on any defender on the outside shows me that he couldn't play another season at wing back. Is there another place for him? Sadly, I doubt it. Amoo just hasn't done anywhere near enough to suggest he could be a regular starter, or even an impact sub, so I would thank him for his efforts and move on.

Of the loanees, I would love to sign Edmondson and Cass - I feel like there is a slim chance of getting Cass, but next to none of getting Edmondson. I'd say Harratt is a good way off being a regular starter, but he could be fantastic in another couple of years. Cooper clearly has too much baggage and never showed anything for us anyway. I've seen trees less rooted to the spot than Holy.

The question marks in the confirmed(ish) players are only really over Hussey and Hurst for me. Hurst is surely on borrowed time; Hussey doesn't look like he can play wing back like Gibbons and Benning, but if we allow for the fact that he's been playing injured for the past few weeks, maybe he has a role as a more controlled, set-piece oriented wide player. It doesn't look to me like he can play as the left CB in a 3.

So assuming for a moment that we get to keep Proctor, Gibbons, Smith, Stone and Benning (a pretty big assumption), my priorities would be forwards and wing-backs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2022 at 17:20, robf said:

So as far as I can make it:

Under contract
Sam Robinson (2023)
Harry Charsley (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Connor Hall (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Chris Hussey (unknown - not mentioned in press release)
Lucas Covolan (2023)
James Wilson (2023)
Brad Walker (2023)
Dan Jones (2023)
Ben Garrity (2023)*
Aaron Martin (2023)*
Tom Pett (2023)
Alex Hurst (2023)
Jake Taylor (2024)
Tom Conlon (2024)

* not confirmed by the club but in the press releases during the summer they put the year the player was contracted to in the article image and those were the years used for those players so I presume they are correct

Out of contract
Aidan Stone (has option for another 12 months may be activated by number of games played but I am not sure)
Jamie Proctor
Mal Benning
David Amoo
David Worrall
James Gibbons
Nathan Smith

Loanees returning
Joel Cooper
Tomas Holy
Ryan Edmondson
Kiatt Harratt

Try to pay off Covolan, no point having his wage on the books if he won't play. Loan out Hurst, Robinson, and Taylor. See if we have the receipt for Hussey. If he's stuck here, he's a backup LWB for emergencies.

Release Benning, Amoo, and Worrall. Extend Stone on the basis that experienced competition is brought in and he may be on the bench next season. Offer Gibbo one year, incentivised on minutes played. Offer Smith one year. Proctor two years.

Don't attempt to sign any of the loanees. Not good enough. See if Cass/Politic fancy football next season.

A problem with the playoffs is some clubs are already doing business - Bradford signed someone already. We can't do anything till we know what league we're in.

Priorities: 

Goalkeeper

Ball-playing RCB - free Smith up to challenge Martin at CB

Physical wing-backs - priority on stamina and pace. Look at non-league. No more finished lads trundling up and down the wing at tractor's pace.

Creative midfielder in Conlon mould. Then have Walker/Pett for CDM, Garrity/Charsley for the 'grafter', and Conlon/new for the creator.

Quick striker to challenge Proctor/Wilson. No more children lobbed on when chasing the game. Proper striker.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1