• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

Advert:

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Interesting rumour on one of our loan players….FGR and Tranmere interested in signing Joel Cooper.

Who I guess has been injured since..Harrogate? Probably the pace we hoped for but our injury jinx hit... 

Who I guess has been injured since..Harrogate? Probably the pace we hoped for but our injury jinx hit... 
Not sure it was an injury. More likely just sent back to Oxford, not one of our successes. Bit of a wasted loan if you ask me, a chancer that didn't come off. We really needed a proven attacking winger but they were in short supply in January unless we had stupid money to burn which obviously we didn't
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

We will definetely be in for another keeper. I think i heard that Covalan was our 5th choice pick for the number 1 shirt and Stone was 1st choice for back up. 

I don't understand the let smith go comments. Most teams would love a player as reliable as him. Also has had so few injuries.

My priorities would be to give us more attacking options. So another attacking CM who can pass. A striker with raw pace.

The main signings have to be backroom medical who can prevent as well as treat injuries. I think saying they're all unavoidable impact injuries is too simplistic. The volume, type and nature of tackling hasn't changed this season, and yet we have had the most long term injuries in my living memory. Mistakes have either been made thinking player's bodies are up to it when they are not, or fitness and conditioning mistakes have been made. Not saying we should get rid of anyone on that side of things, but to not review it and have the same problem next year would be silly. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2022 at 02:33, toyahw said:

I suspect Smithy will be off.  Good riddance  I suspect many will say. He's done a shift for us never really been appreciated and stuck in a toss team.  Time for a change. Gibbo, best player at the club but not much use if you you hardly play, and he's done a few hammys. Which is not good. Maybe we could keep him a long term deal. Worth the gamble for me. 

Martin is pretty average.  Proctor I expect he'll be off.  Benning, has his moments but not worth a new contract. Amoo past his sell by date ditto Worrall. Sad to say. Like both on their day.

Think we are stuck with a few though. I mean who gave Hurst and Taylor those deals?  Nothing against them personally.  But I mean if you never set foot on the pitch what is the point? Jones looks like another who looks good on paper.  The game is not played on paper. 

You need men on the pitch.

Taylor's stock was high at the time, and we just conveniently ignored the Scunny experiment. Turns out that was the real him, not our loaned version. Carol was giving the fans what they wanted at that time, which was getting him back at all costs. I imagine he's on good money and he'll never agree to any version of a 2 year pay out that wouldn't be silly finances for PV.

Edited by 1

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Carol was giving the fans what they wanted at that time, which was getting him back at all costs.

1. I think that’s a rewriting of history. 

2. It’s up to the sensible football people at the club (whoever they were at the time) to push back if that was the case.

5 minutes ago, Santa said:

1. I think that’s a rewriting of history. 

2. It’s up to the sensible football people at the club (whoever they were at the time) to push back if that was the case.

Taylor was widely wanted as a returning, full time recruit. The funding was made available and it seemed like a simple way of improving the team at the time. The theory was spot on, the intention was positive, it just turns out he was not as good as his potential suggested. No-one's fault, but now we're stuck with a potentially highly paid sub.

Advert:

33 minutes ago, Santa said:

Wasn't that Danny Pugh, when it seemed that those in charge were very eager for 'Pughy' to be manager on a longer-term basis than just a few caretaking games?

32 minutes ago, 1 said:

Taylor was widely wanted as a returning, full time recruit. The funding was made available and it seemed like a simple way of improving the team at the time. The theory was spot on, the intention was positive, it just turns out he was not as good as his potential suggested. No-one's fault, but now we're stuck with a potentially highly paid sub.

Difficult to judge how good he is in the limited time he has played this season. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Difficult to judge how good he is in the limited time he has played this season. 

Priority is promotion at present, difficult to give development players extended game time to test their merits, unless forced by injuries. Ideally L1 will give us more scope. 

I asked a good friend I used to work with, Maidenhead fan. Re NL players. He gave me a few names, but he said Josh Kelly (who I know nothing about).  He plays for Maidenhead so he may be biased 🙂 

I dont think many disagree, but as we say in Biddulph, its looks like he has pooed on his chips

Would love them give him one more chance, my Beautiful Purple Prince

Advert:

Ipswich Town have transfer listed Tyreese Simpson . Yes please Flickers get in the queue.

I bet the queue for will be as long as the Exeter away tickets.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I don't hate him, hes the best keeper at the club. I think the management team have lost faith in him though so i do think he'll be gone this summer.

I hope not. He’s a very decent keeper. He needs a “calm down” injection in his brain though. 

• Like 2