onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Just now, Dr Delgado said:

Whilst Walker is good with the ball at his feet and his passing is sublime at times, if you watch him closely he can get caught for pace. Not sure how much he will feature this year.

I think he will feature a lot. Imo he’s in our best 3 midfielders he’s class and we looked a shadow of ourselves without him last season. Him Ojo and Conlon would be my starting 3 I think if all fit 

Advert

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think he will feature a lot. Imo he’s in our best 3 midfielders he’s class and we looked a shadow of ourselves without him last season. Him Ojo and Conlon would be my starting 3 I think if all fit 

Whilst Walker is a capable passer, he isn't the most mobile (being kind). IMO, Pett is a much better option in a midfield 3. Also interesting to see where Garrity will fit in when we have a fully fit squad - was arguably our best player last season.

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Anyone know what's happened to Rory Holden? He played at Rochdale and I do think he's the type of player we need as we don't seem to have any game-changers to bring on when our first XI is fit, but 7 players (8 if you include McDermott) battling it out for 3 places seems excessive. 

So far, we have

Stone

Hall, Cass, Smith, Benning, Forrester, Massey, Small, Hussey, Jones, (Robinson), (Agyakwa)

Ojo, Garrity, Worrall, Pett, Conlon, Charsley, Walker, (McDermott)

Proctor, Wilson

Presuming those in brackets will be in development or loaned out/ bit-part at best, and those unbolded may leave. Quite a few variables re current squad size but think we still need a keeper, attacking mid, possibly an attacking wide player if we need to change formation and a couple of strikers.

Not why you have Massey grouped with the defenders? He’s played most of his games as a wide man or as a forward in a three for the past few seasons.

While Walker isn't the most mobile, neither was Andrea Pirlo. When playing a midfield three it's all about getting the balance right. You certainly don't want three players there who are all immobile and can't get about the pitch. But Walker alongside Pett and Charsley for one example would be absolutely fine.

Walker is arguably the best passer we have, even above Conlon, but you know he can be exposed if we as a team allow it. But in general all of our midfielders offer something a little different whoever we select, and so it's down to Clarke to select three who bring the best balance to the team. What is for sure is that in Conlon, Ojo, Pett, Walker, Garrity and Charsley, nobody can say that we don't have options.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

Its a difficult one to predict, there is a lot of thing that could affect our chances either way. How will players who we're important last year cope with the step up in quality (Garrity being case in point)? We have a small squad, we have an injury crisis like we had at Xmas last year and we'll be in trouble. How will the new signings settle and are they any good? 

The one major thing we have working in our favour is the manager. I would rather have DC in charge than any of the mangers in this league currently. Think he has the ability get every bit of  the squad, even if they aren't as strong on paper as the next team. Hopefully the new training zone will also help us with injuries. 

Totally agree about having DC and not forgetting DF in the background.

I would take 20th place this season but I think we will surprise a few teams with the squad we have and the way we play. Mid table is achieveable but consolidation and survival the priority.

Wishing well to all the new players and to the whole team, the management and the owners for the new season I am sure you will do us fans proud.

11 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Not why you have Massey grouped with the defenders? He’s played most of his games as a wide man or as a forward in a three for the past few seasons.

After he signed, it seemed to be the consensus on here that he'd be RWB. Whether that changes with Wilson's injury, I don't know. If we get a striker in, I'm guessing he'll start in place of Worrall. Benning on the other side with Small and Forrester on the bench. Ojo, Garrity and Charsley/ Walker in the middle with Proctor and new striker up top. Otherwise, Worral RWB and Massey up top. We really really need some attacking players in if other areas of the team aren't going to be compromised.

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

With Vale admin tweeting the updated squad numbers this morning, I wonder if that is an indicator that there are no more signings this week.

I thought that was probably more in case people wanted to get their names and numbers on their shirts… helps to keep pushing the shirt sales.

21 minutes ago, bar1 said:

Whilst Walker is a capable passer, he isn't the most mobile (being kind). IMO, Pett is a much better option in a midfield 3. Also interesting to see where Garrity will fit in when we have a fully fit squad - was arguably our best player last season.

I thought Pett dropped off quite a bit as the season drew on. Walker isn’t the quickest but I don’t think that should be a huge issue in a midfield 3. I somehow forgot about Garrity!!!! My midfield 3 would be Ojo with Conlon and then Garrity in front of both. 

20 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Played RWB for Wigan, that’s why his numbers don’t look that impressive. Wigan fan I work with rated him there though, did say he’s not as quick as he used to be but is a very good signing for us. Think he used to play further up a few years back. I noticed in the interview DC gave, he said he likes to get forward. Strikes me as a quote you’d say about a wing back rather than winger / forward. 

I can see us adapting to 1 up top with both Garrity and Massey playing the no10 roles, and Pett and Ojo playing as 2 defensive holding midfielders. Could be wrong but makes sense given our striking options presently. Once Wilson is back, it will then revert to 2 up top

4 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I thought Pett dropped off quite a bit as the season drew on. Walker isn’t the quickest but I don’t think that should be a huge issue in a midfield 3. I somehow forgot about Garrity!!!! My midfield 3 would be Ojo with Conlon and then Garrity in front of both. 

If we signed Holden, is he more of a Garrity type? I like Ben and he was one of our best players last season but out of our likely first XI, he's the one that I wonder if he'll be ok in League One. I think he needs to be a real threat up front to justify a starting place.

25 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

While Walker isn't the most mobile, neither was Andrea Pirlo. When playing a midfield three it's all about getting the balance right. You certainly don't want three players there who are all immobile and can't get about the pitch. But Walker alongside Pett and Charsley for one example would be absolutely fine.

Walker is arguably the best passer we have, even above Conlon, but you know he can be exposed if we as a team allow it. But in general all of our midfielders offer something a little different whoever we select, and so it's down to Clarke to select three who bring the best balance to the team. What is for sure is that in Conlon, Ojo, Pett, Walker, Garrity and Charsley, nobody can say that we don't have options.

Are you seriously claiming that Pirlo wasn’t mobile?

Off topic here so apologies. 

When Darrell signed his 5 year deal was Crosby also linked with this or totally separate? He's a vital cog and our upturns are down to the dynamic duo .

Can't recall seeing it mentioned unless he has managerial aspirations himself maybe after a taste of it. 

Archived