onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We still seem to be buying players for the future rather than for now though. 

One signing does. Only Agyakwa fits that category (and the comments in the club statement say the same). 

I can't see how 29 year-olds Ojo and Massey are "for the future" and I would strongly imagine that by the end of the season that, despite their young ages, Forrester, Small and Cass will all have made plenty of appearances in the first-team as well.

I do think sometimes the club can't win.

They've got a good  mix here - two experienced pros, two youngish pros, one for the future and a teenager on loan. If they'd get six 30 year-olds instead would the argument have been "ageing squad / no investing in the future"?

3 minutes ago, robf said:

One signing does. Only Agyakwa fits that category (and the comments in the club statement say the same). 

I can't see how 29 year-olds Ojo and Massey are "for the future" and I would strongly imagine that by the end of the season that, despite their young ages, Forrester, Small and Cass will all have made plenty of appearances in the first-team as well.

They've got a good  mix here - two experienced pros, two youngish pros, one for the future and a teenager on loan. If they'd get six 30 year-olds instead would the argument have been "ageing squad / no investing in the future"?

Spot on,I echo these thoughts. I'm sure they sign players and have an eye on who they will mix with off the pitch and gel with on the pitch.

Some of the comments are ridiculous.

Would they rather us be in Derby's position with a whole load of 30 plus players out of contract including Scott Loach,a GK who is 35?

2 minutes ago, robf said:

Ojo and Massey look like great signings, the others are a little light on experience I think. 

8 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We have a sensible, safe budget. We are not gambling the clubs future by spending big money on players who have done well at other clubs. That means we cannot always go out and buy the names that are proven at other clubs. 

It also means that we are not upsetting the dressing room by having a couple of big names on big wages. 

So we pick players under the radar, or that have potential but are not able to show it at their current club. Alas that means we miss out on some and also means some move on. Thats life.

I am perfectly happy with our process.

4 minutes ago, philmpv said:
14 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I disagree. I would argue that only Agyakwa is earmarked as one for the future. All of the others seem to be of the quality to play now.

Robinson, McDermott, Plant, Small and Agyakwa all have little or no experience of League1/2 football. When we played Liverpool youth last (?) season you could see that they all had amazing technical ability but Vale won. 

3 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Ojo and Massey look like great signings, the others are a little light on experience I think. 

We only have one goalkeeper and one striker who can’t be guaranteed to play for 90 minutes.

People say they will come but we do need more experience.

7 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Would we have said that of Cass, Garrity and Harratt last season? That season seemed to go OK for them :wink:

Robinson, McDermott, Plant, Small and Agyakwa all have little or no experience of League1/2 football. When we played Liverpool youth last (?) season you could see that they all had amazing technical ability but Vale won. 
Garrity, Cass, Hall, Smith, Streete, Alnwick, Taylor, Whitfield, Gibbons, Alex Jones. Need I go on? Appreciate what you're trying to get at but you're stretching RZ, particularly passing off Plant and McDermott as new signings

Pleased with the signings and looking forward to seeing them all play at some point.  I see Small's uncle used to play for our "learned" friends down the road(late 90s)? Can't quite recall him although looks like he may have been there in the period after we won at Huddersfield to stay up(they lost at home to Man City) and before we went down 2 or 3 years later so probably never played in one of the 90s derbies.

Striker(s) and a goalie should be the priority now to have a squad capable of competing but promising moves yesterday!🙂

Archived