onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

For me we need:

1st choice keeper.

Either a RWB or right centre back (Gibbo to then play in the other position)

1/2 wingers - I know we don’t use them, but off the bench I think we need some pace and an upgrade on Amoo. Someone similar to Politic who can change a game 2nd half. 

2 strikers. Wilson and Proctor are great, but will more than certainly be injured at some point. I’d probably want us to sign a first team striker to play with Wilson, with proctor and Harratt on the bench. I’d be happy for us to sign Edmonson if available as well just as back up as he can play in a number of positions. 

Possibly a back up centre back, I think Martin will be released / listed  

7 players for me at the most. (If we keep everyone we want to keep)

Advert

There will undoubtedly be players who move on & players who stick with us. It would be great if we could keep the 'core' as this helps in League 1.

Look at the Wycombe model... a few tweaks & they managed to get themselves right up there. Consistency is huge.

For me, as well as Stone has done for us, I'd be very surprised if a new number 1 is not right towards the top of the list. I think that's one of the areas we have got away with a little this season. A consistent, strong, hungry goalkeeper who is good with his feet would improve us I think. I'd have no issue whatsoever with Stone as a number 2... or Covolan for that matter. I think one of them will potentially be moved on though to make room for a new number 1.

Centre half in the mould of Smithy would be great. Somebody who can play a little, but primarily will win battles & organise a back 3 from the middle... I think Smithy will reluctantly leave us for Stockport. Would love him to stay though, he could cement his place as a Port Vale legend over the next few years.

I like the look of our midfield & wouldn't change too much. Taylor & Conlon will be like new signings. Both can make the step up of that I've no doubt.

2 x hungry strikers to compliment Wils & hopefully JP. Would love Harratt on another season long loan, as I genuinely believe he could explode in the next couple of years. Wouldn't mind Edmondson either to be honest. Big, strong, young, powerful & has bought into the ethos of the club. A target man to compliment/replace JP if he doesn't re-sign & a hungry nippy forward would be right up there towards the top of my list, alongside a new number 1.

We shall see what happens! Bring it on.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

I would really hope our current squad embrace what we have and what they have achieved TOGETHER ! One or two prima donnas do not alway make a team ! Unfortunately heads can be turned by the lure of money, but I hope the bulk of our squad stay together and achieve together.

True.  Also if the price is right we could sell a player.  Carol has said as much.  The big unknown to most of us fans is that we have no idea if any of our “stars” from the contracted players will move.  Clubs will be looking for sure.  I think I read FGR have lost one or two already, plus their manager of course.

56 minutes ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, SFBT said:
I'd have expected the club to have made an announcement about when the announcement of the retained list will be made. emoji2958.pngemoji2958.png

Why? Announcing it won't change the date it's due.

My apologies.

It wasn't a serious comment.

Just waiting...

7 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

True.  Also if the price is right we could sell a player.  Carol has said as much.  The big unknown to most of us fans is that we have no idea if any of our “stars” from the contracted players will move.  Clubs will be looking for sure.  I think I read FGR have lost one or two already, plus their manager of course.

I reckon Wilson will be coveted by many.

3 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Continuity is key, especially after a promotion season and it looks like FGR might have a challenge there (Adams is one of the players they've lost already). Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but we might end up against Garner again as his name has been connected with Charlton.

For me, we have that in Jones. His long passing and long throw also give the team a point of difference if he is used.
I suspect I will get some replies saying he isn't up to L1 standard but I'm talking about him being a back-up to Hall NOT first-choice.
I thought he was decent at the start of the season but unsurprisingly hasn't had a look-in since Hall came in (and also due to injury). Jones also looks to be a good character to have around the squad which the management puts a lot of emphasis on.
Jones is under contract so unless the feeling is he really isn't up to it, it would make sense to keep him for the next season, in my view.
Agree with all you say there Rob

If teams are willing to take a risk with his injury record, I can see Gibbons attracting a few admirers. Ideal age, played RWB, LWB, RB, and RCB in his career, and has the 'intangibles' to improve any squad. I imagine he shows well on a few data points loads of clubs like; entries into the final third, progressive carries etc, especially from early on in the season where he was nearly always behind the opposition backline.

On a free, it's a high-ceiling option for 2 years. However, his absences will put a lot of clubs off.

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If teams are willing to take a risk with his injury record, I can see Gibbons attracting a few admirers. Ideal age, played RWB, LWB, RB, and RCB in his career, and has the 'intangibles' to improve any squad. On a free deal, it's a high-ceiling option for 2 years.

However, his absences will put a lot of clubs off.

We’ve just had a great season, ending in promotion.  I’d say anyone who’s impressed us will have also impressed the numerous watching scouts. We could literally name any of them.

Archived