onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

24 minutes ago, MBE said:

Gibbo and Smith are a MUST to resign.

The hyphen in the last word of that sentence is really important MBE. 🤣

I respect everyone's opinion in here unless it's absolutely mental but my opinion on Smith is that the only reason I would be okay with him leaving is if it was his choice. He was absolutely outstanding in that second leg against Swindon, I'm talking the best I've seen him in a Vale shirt and considering it was his error that lead to their first goal in the first leg, I thought it said a lot about him that he stepped up in the biggest game and gave a 10/10 performance. I would urge people to go back and watch him in that game on iFollow. 

I think it's a little bit more important to the team that Gibbo stays but they're not mutually exclusive and he ended the season very strong. Hall, Smith and Gibbo in the back 3 were superb.

Advert

I'd also love to see the loanees back in some sort of fashion. Although anyone reckon Huddersfield might push harratt to the first team next season ? Similar to Tyler walker at Forest. 

Both headers ( Brentford&Mansfield) were both proper striker finishes, even the way he moves and spots an opening is impressive for his age. I really do think he's gonna be a top player in the future 

2 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I'd also love to see the loanees back in some sort of fashion. Although anyone reckon Huddersfield might push harratt to the first team next season ? Similar to Tyler walker at Forest. 

Both headers ( Brentford&Mansfield) were both proper striker finishes, even the way he moves and spots an opening is impressive for his age. I really do think he's gonna be a top player in the future 

He’s got the makings of a very decent forward. Especially with his pace and he’s quite strong for a young pro. I think Huddersfield would’ve certainly wanted him to go to a league one club for the upcoming season so I think we have a very good chance we will see him back for the season. It’s a huge jump up to championship level from league 2 so I’d imagine they will monitor him next season with us and if he continues to impress then he will get his chance in Yorkshire. Harratt proctor Wilson and another league one player who can find the net is what is needed.

Its going to be a tough old season and we need 4/5 better players to come into the side for me if we are to achieve our aim and stay in the league. We should be able to do this now with Flitcroft having a good look who can come in and make us better.

Our first pre-season game last season was played 5 Saturdays before the first game. We played Kidsgrove on the 3rd July and the players reported back, I think, on Thursday 24th June, 10 days before the first friendly. 

The same timeframe would make our first pre-season game this season on the 25th June, and the first day of pre-season the 15th. I imagine pre-season will be a bit shorter as most of the squad will be the same as before and the management team have been here for over a year.

It's the 1st June tomorrow. Retained list then and business will probably commence next week if we want to be ready for pre-season at the back end of the month. Non-stop. Go again.

I think there's a chance we'd be able to get Harratt back although Huddersfield would be crazy not to have him in and around their first team squad for pre season to assess him properly so in my opinion it would be a late decision for them to either keep him or loan him out. 

5 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Yes its harsh but not the sure the players have proven anything at league 1 level apart from a few of them who were  released by League 1 teams such as Pett and Walker... dont forget Procter was released by a league 1 team also.

and yes some of them have time to improve but you can only have so many who fit into the "time to improve" bracket else you re in the bottom 3 before you know it.

4 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Just out of interest who are they?

They were mentioned in the press about a week ago - 3 of them, I think - but they're not names I remember, nor were their clubs ones I know well...but Blackburn and, i think, Preston were 2 of the clubs  looking at them. Of course, it could just be paper talk...but I'd never recommend we didn't look at targets in the National League...just in case!

38 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Gibbo won't leave. Absolutely loves the club , can't see him dropping down either. Last i heard was smith also wanted to stay especially with his young baby being born a few months back 

For me those two along with Worrall, Proctor, Benning and Stone need to be offered new deals. 

If Proctor can prove his fitness, then yes I agree, but if we’re not going to get 30+ games as well as sun appearances, then I’d release him. Not sure about Stone as I think we need a new number one and o think Cov is under contract. 

4 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

If Proctor can prove his fitness, then yes I agree, but if we’re not going to get 30+ games as well as sun appearances, then I’d release him. Not sure about Stone as I think we need a new number one and o think Cov is under contract. 

Proctor could be a great impact sub. Especially when we're struggling uptop. He's definitely too good for league 2 that's for sure 

I think stone deserves a new contract. A great stop shopper and is only 22 and will only improve. I love Cov but mainly for his characteristics and personality. No doubt a lovely and passionate man but for me stone over cov. Unless we loaned one out possibly 

1 hour ago, robf said:

Can't see it myself. He's settled in the area, will almost certainly get offered a new deal and can then just carry on with us at a higher level. 

He's also in my opinion, one of the more underrated stars of the team. There's a reason a succession of Vale managers have all consistently picked Nathan Smith. He's also added some of the "dark arts" to his game with experience now and at only 26, he can get better with age. I'd be delighted for him to sign a new deal with us and make that central role in the back three his own.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see him stay. He's been a colossus during the run-in and the dark arts have been a great addition to his game but I'm just going off what I've heard from inside the club.

I hope it's not true. Someone mentioned 5k a week offered by Stockport on here, I heard 3k. Regardless, it's a step up from the well publicised ceiling of £1,350 mentioned earlier in the season.

I wouldn't begrudge him for taking them up on the offer, but let's hope he stays.

4 minutes ago, Fozza19 said:

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see him stay. He's been a colossus during the run-in and the dark arts have been a great addition to his game but I'm just going off what I've heard from inside the club.

I hope it's not true. Someone mentioned 5k a week offered by Stockport on here, I heard 3k. Regardless, it's a step up from the well publicised ceiling of £1,350 mentioned earlier in the season.

I wouldn't begrudge him for taking them up on the offer, but let's hope he stays.

£1850 I think was the ceiling?...oh, yes - and wasn't it a masterstroke to only pay bonuses if we finished top 7?

£4k was what I'd heard!  Just goes to show how inaccurate the rumour mill is.  Let's hope promotion and the togetherness of the tragedy of this season makes one or two rethink their futures.

9 minutes ago, Fozza19 said:

Do stockport need another CB ? I haven't seen their retained list but they've got Palmer , Johnson and Hogan. All fairly decent CBs 

5k seems ridiculous for a centre back in league 2. But then football is getting that way 

16 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

£1850 I think was the ceiling?...oh, yes - and wasn't it a masterstroke to only pay bonuses if we finished top 7?

That last bit was the players decision and that ceiling wasn't set in stone and could of been broken for the right player,that cap is now higher though

If any of our out of contract players are offered £5k a week elsewhere they will be off.

Football is too short a career to turn down a wage that would likely be double what our top earners are currently on. There aren’t many folk who would turn down an offer to double or triple their wage to do the same job with another employer.

I’d also contend we don’t have many (any) players who are irreplaceable and therefore their is no need for us to be offering silly money to players.

Smudge doesn’t owe the club anything - he’s played 300+ games, largely with distinction but also largely at L2 level. 

Archived