onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

11 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Tom Pett is a good example of how difficult decision making can be. Guaranteed to be staying after a very good season I would expect.

However, he played 44 games in Lincoln's promotion from league two, and only 2 in league one, before dropping back to league two with Stevenage.
He's also 31.

That's because he got injured and then Cowley left.

Pett is a no-brainer. Experienced, vice-captain, led the team through the playoffs, stepped in with a massive 5th penalty in the semis. Clearly a leader and a good footballer. I think another year is about right, which is what he has left.

Him and Walker are excellent options at DM, both offering something different. That's the position I'm happiest with.

Advert

11 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Tom Pett is a good example of how difficult decision making can be. Guaranteed to be staying after a very good season I would expect.

However, he played 44 games in Lincoln's promotion from league two, and only 2 in league one, before dropping back to league two with Stevenage.
He's also 31.

I think Pett will struggle with the step up.  Gifted player but gets caught out too often and a bit slow to track back. I like Pett and he is a good division 2 player but time will tell if he can hack a division higher, I’d like to see him start off as a squad player behind Conlon and a new quality signing.

I think people are really overestimating the step-up in quality. We don't need to change a great deal.

Last time we went up, in Micky Adams' last full season of management and with Smurthwaite running the club, we finished 9th. We made a few signings like Lines, Robertson, and Dicko, but the vast majority of starters were already at the club, like Yates, Duffy, Neal, JMW, Pope, Dodds, Griff, Loft.

All 4 promoted clubs stayed up last season, three very comfortably and Morecambe on a budget of about £20.

We had to literally sign non-league players from Scandinavia and France to go down last time, and that was by the skin of our teeth with two of the poorest managers in club history being led by the worst owner in club history. We seemed to be actively trying to get relegated, but if De Freitas had a tad more composure at Fleetwood we'd have stayed up.

We hammered Stanley, beat Burton, and took Rotherham to penalties last season.

There's one or two players I wouldn't be delighted to see start, but the likes of Pett won't have any issues. There will be 2/3 teams at the very top who are Championship level, but a lot of drudgery from 12th down. We're a club on the up with an excellent set-up, already far better run than the vast majority of clubs knocking about the recesses of the third tier.

Be sound. 5-6 bits of quality in and we'll be looking at steady mid-table at worst. The challenge was getting out of that tinpot affair. You Matrix had to rebuild an entire squad with about three months prep last summer; it's had 12 months to get ready for this, and far less work is needed.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think people are really overestimating the step-up in quality. We don't need to change a great deal.

Last time we went up, in Micky Adams' last full season of management and with Smurthwaite running the club, we finished 9th. 

All 4 promoted clubs stayed up last season, three very comfortably and Morecambe on a budget of about £20.

We had to literally sign non-league players from Scandinavia and France to go down last time, and that was by the skin of our teeth with two of the poorest managers in club history being led by the worst owner in club history.

There's one or two players I wouldn't be delighted to see start, but the likes of Pett won't have any issues. There will be 2/3 teams at the very top who are Championship level, but a lot of drudgery from 12th down. We're a club on the up with an excellent set-up, already far better run than the vast majority of clubs knocking about the recesses of the third tier.

Be sound. 5-6 bits of quality in and we'll be looking at steady mid-table.

Agreed. 

League One is becoming a two tier league - with the 'big' clubs and big spenders in the top 10 and the rest scrapping it out to avoid relegation. 

I went to a few Sunderland games this/last season and there's not much difference in standard. A bit more time on the ball and one or two players who can do something out of nothing (for Sunderland it was Patrick Roberts and Ross Stewart), but generally not much difference in tempo or style than L2.

Upgrading on Amoo, Martin and Hurst, re-signing the likes of Gibbo and Smith and using the loan market well again and we'll be set for a decent season. 

12 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I trust flickers and the rest of the team but I d be suprised if we were interested…. Not athletic  enough and 1 outstanding season amongst many proves very little really…. Look at pope and mkirdy. Would rather push the boat out for harrat.

I don't see Huddersfield letting Harratt go. At best a season long loan, but I suspect he might be part of their first team squad next season. 

4 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Looks like Kian won't be staying. He posted something on Instagram saying thanks and goodbye. What a lovely bloke.

Would go for Edmonson if that's a possibility.

Shame 

46 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I think Pett will struggle with the step up.  Gifted player but gets caught out too often and a bit slow to track back. I like Pett and he is a good division 2 player but time will tell if he can hack a division higher, I’d like to see him start off as a squad player behind Conlon and a new quality signing.

I don't think I saw Pett lose possession once in the two biggest games of the season - and not often throughout the year; he kept things tidy and facilitated the more attacking players. 30/31 seems fine age-wise and he doesn't seem to have flagged much while playing every game since Walker's injury. Pett/Walker, Taylor/Conlon, and Garrity/Charsley is a very good midfield three in any configuration and the area least needing attention IMO.

48 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Looks like Kian won't be staying. He posted something on Instagram saying thanks and goodbye. What a lovely bloke.

Would go for Edmonson if that's a possibility.

It’s way too early to sort out coming back on loan anyway. 

CM isn’t the issue Imo. For me, Conlon, Walker, Taylor, Garrity and Pett will all be good enough. I’m not sure about Charsley as I don’t think he’s too good with the ball but as 5th / 6th choice he will do. I can’t see us doing much in that area at all. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Last time we went up, in Micky Adams' last full season of management and with Smurthwaite running the club, we finished 9th. We made a few signings like Lines, Robertson, and Dicko, but the vast majority of starters were already at the club, like Yates, Duffy, Neal, JMW, Pope, Dodds, Griff, Loft.

We had to literally sign non-league players from Scandinavia and France to go down last time, and that was by the skin of our teeth with two of the poorest managers in club history being led by the worst owner in club history. We seemed to be actively trying to get relegated, but if De Freitas had a tad more composure at Fleetwood we'd have stayed up.

Be sound. 5-6 bits of quality in and we'll be looking at steady mid-table at worst. The challenge was getting out of that tinpot affair. You Matrix had to rebuild an entire squad with about three months prep last summer; it's had 12 months to get ready for this, and far less work is needed.

Spot on 

Bit of tweaking here and there. It doesn't make sense to Rio the entire squad apart cos you can see the togetherness

Archived