Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

1 hour ago, bomber said:

I know Gibbo has had a bit of bad luck but he needs to prove his fitness over a season FGR had 12 players on 30+ games Exeter not far behind compared to our 5 says it all really.

At this rate he won’t be proving it here with no new contract. 

Advert:

I would like to see us have a better rounded squad who can play a back 4 as well as 3.

My Shopping List regardless of League. 

GK - An real No. 1 GK

A nasty horrible bastard at CB. If L2 next season Pierginnani would fit the bill for me. Head on a stick, aggressive smashes anyone in his way, a proper leader.

A nasty horrible bastard in CM.

A player in CM who can dribble past a player.

Pace in wide areas.

Target man to backup Proctor or 2 if he doesn’t renew.

Pacey Striker with a bit of experience.

That makes 7 new faces for me so we would need to make room.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I’ve heard from people close to those 2 in particular that we haven’t offered any new deals to them yet. I had no reason not to doubt them, but who knows. 

I have been told the same. Players have not been told or had any negotiations on new contracts yet, even those you would want to keep.

• Like 1

I would imagine we are looking for someone who is better than Smith and more reliable than Gibbo for the same money they will want.
I think Smith is an excellent defender but he just can't play football and I love everything about Gibbo but he's been injured for the last 2 seasons

It depends on lot on which league we are in I guess, let’s base this on being in league two which is more likely than not based on odds.

Of the four loanees I would be tempted to look at keeping Edmundson, I think he does offer something but depends on Leeds plans for him.

Of the out of contract I would keep Smith, Gibbons (not sure clubs will gamble on him with his injuries just yet so should stand a chance), Benning, Proctor is a must and I would be tempted to keep Woz (assuming his hip is the problem and can be worked out over the summer).

Stone I would keep as a number 2.

I would release Amoo.

I would transfer list Covolan if the club don’t want him, Hurst and if they don’t plan on using him Taylor.

Replace Covolan with a decent number one. The Colchester keeper if available George would be a decent signing.

Bring back Lewis Cass on loan (or sign if available).

I’d love Piergianni, a proper old fashioned head everything centre half and a danger going forward from set pieces, would we have dealt with those far post headers we kept conceding earlier in the season with him in there? Possibly would see Martin make way.

If funds allowed a reliable centre forward to allow us to cope with losing Proctor or Wilson through injury and rest, ideally someone with a bit of pace. Maybe Simpson from Villa?

Creative midfielder to replace Taylor.

Maybe see what the Politic situation is in Italy as well.

Wouldn’t want to see another rebuild just the tweaks to push us that one step further, depth to the quality we have, sort the keeper situation.

Advert:

47 minutes ago, MBE said:

I would like to see us have a better rounded squad who can play a back 4 as well as 3.

GK - An real No. 1 GK

A nasty horrible bastard at CB. If L2 next season Pierginnani would fit the bill for me. Head on a stick, aggressive smashes anyone in his way, a proper leader.

Pace in wide areas.

Add a nasty horrible bastard up front.  You can never have too many nasty horrible bastards.

Seriously though I’d say that’s not a bad list.  A couple of players with a bit more pace who can carry the ball.  We need 2 more strikers even if Proc stays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

No I'm saying we probably have tried to offer them a contact, but they are looking up the leagues

I personally don't think there's a cat in hells chance Smith is getting offers from League 1. I'd also be amazed if there is a list of suitors queuing for Gibbo given his injury record. I think both will stay.

Posted (edited)

I suspect Smithy will be off.  Good riddance  I suspect many will say. He's done a shift for us never really been appreciated and stuck in a toss team.  Time for a change. Gibbo, best player at the club but not much use if you you hardly play, and he's done a few hammys. Which is not good. Maybe we could keep him a long term deal. Worth the gamble for me. 

Martin is pretty average.  Proctor I expect he'll be off.  Benning, has his moments but not worth a new contract. Amoo past his sell by date ditto Worrall. Sad to say. Like both on their day.

Think we are stuck with a few though. I mean who gave Hurst and Taylor those deals?  Nothing against them personally.  But I mean if you never set foot on the pitch what is the point? Jones looks like another who looks good on paper.  The game is not played on paper. 

You need men on the pitch.

Edited by toyahw

Advert:

11 hours ago, MBE said:

GK - An real No. 1 GK

Pace in wide areas.

Agree with all of that apart from the horrible CM. He's already here, Brad Walker, ridiculous amount of bookings forever doing niggly fouls around the half way line. A fit Walker we don't capitulate. 

He's dirty, but also has a great passing range . Not played enough games due to injury and unable to break into a winning team. 

The last 3 games show his worth to the team. 

• Like 1

• robf changed the title to Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc
Posted (edited)

THIS IS ASSUMING FULL AUTONOMY TO RESIGN AND GET RID OF ANYONE I WANT REGARDLESS ON CONTRACT STATUS - WHICH OBVIOUSLY CAUSES A HINDRANCE IN REALITY.

NOW                                                        A FUTURE DECIDEDLY LESS BLEAK 

HOLY COVOLAN STONE              NEW COVOLAN                                    

HALL HUSSEY ROBINSON           HALL NEW ROBINSON                         

GIBBONS JONES SMITH              NEW NEW SMITH

BENNING MARTIN                        NEW CASS                                            

WORRALL GARRITY WALKER       WORRALL GARRITY NEW                

CONLON TAYLOR HURST             CONLON NEW NEW                            

AMOO CHARSLEY PETT               NEW CHARLSEY PETT                        

WILSON PROCTOR                        WILSON PROCTOR                       

ALL LOANEES                                ALL NEW LOANEES

9 OUT AND ALL LOANEES BACK

11 NEEDED

1 GK, 2 CBS (CASS 1), 2 WBS, 2 WING, 2 CMS, 2 CFS

THAT WOULD ONLY BE 2 LOANS, SO MORE COVER COULD BE SOURCED

NEW

NEW CASS HALL NEW NEW

NEW PETT CONLON

NEW PROCTOR

SUBS:

COVOLAN

SMITH

WORRALL

GARRITY

CHARSLEY

WILSON

ROBINSON

TO BE SERIOUS AT THE TOP OF LEAGUE 2 / LEAGUE 1, THAT'S WHAT IS REQUIRED

Edited by 1

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

The last 3 games show his worth to the team. 

I'd agree with that. To me, Walker seems to be one of those players who thrives on a run in the side. He was really looking the part when he got injured and in addition to the defensive role, his size helps aerially and his passing gave us another attacking option apart from the flanks or a hoof up the park. I think it's no coincidence this poor run has coincided with his injury. 

• Like 2

Keep- Hall, Garrity, Conlon, Pett, Charsley, Wilson, Proctor,Walker and Robinson.

Not too bothered about anybody else, Gibbons purely due to his Hamstring issue.

Release - Benning, Amoo

Transfer list - Covolan, Hurst and Hussey

Send all the loans back

Sign - GK, LWB, CB, CMx2 (one perm and one loan), STx2 (one perm and one loan), Winger (both footed would be awesome)

Quality of the above positions depends on the league we are in, but the rest of the squad I think can make it in either

• Like 1

Advert:

Posted (edited)

bar 2/3 players, the majority of people will agree with who to release and who to keep. but it may come down to who we're stuck with regardless of desire for pastures new.

Edited by 1
  • Haha 1

For me, despite the gloom after the Newport game, I don't think we need too much doing.

I'd be happy with a new first-choice keeper. I think that's a priority with Stone as reserve (he's still young so I think some criticism has been a little harsh - he could still develop)

I'd be very happy with signing Cass if he's available (which gives options in a back three and cover for the RWB slot) and I think we need some experienced cover upfront. I agree with the idea of one permanent and one loan signing upfront.

I think Vale will be keen to offer new deals to most of the out of contract players - Smith (can't understand the stick he gets sometimes), Gibbo, Proctor and Worrall but I wonder if one of two under contract will be transfer-listed? Perhaps Covolan and Taylor? I wonder if Hurst and Robinson will be sent off on loan for the first-half of next season too. A loan is always a good way of seeing if a fringe player is worth a new deal or not I think.

Now having said that... the Vale managerial team will undoubtedly release 18 players and sign another 18!

Bearing in mind we may still go up, as gutted as I am at the moment, we aren’t too far off a very competitive league two squad. That said, I think we have a number of players who are more suited to 442: Worrall, Amoo on the wing, Hussey, Smith, Martin. For me Gibbo is too injury prone and Worrall is struggling through a long term problem.

I think the available personell the last few games would have made 442 a better option.

Anyway, I think preseason we need to have a proper look at Robinson and maybe start with him in August, I think if Hurst is still under contract we need a proper look at him as wingback. We need alternatives to both those of course. 
Benning has had 5-6 arguably MOTM performances but across the season, not enough. I think Hall and Charsley have been good additions. Proctor I’d keep on, Garrity vies with him for POTY.

I like Walker, Pett has blown hot and cold. Wilson, mmmm not entirely sure. Conlon, not quite a given due to injury record.

i think Brown was a better keeper than any of his replacements though Stone has been unspectacularly reliable.

When we finished in decent shape under Askey, we made the mistake of not keeping on moving forward, so, as well as we’ve done, still some surgery needed. As others have said, more pace throughout wouldn’t go amiss but especially at the back.

• Like 1