• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

I think people are really overestimating the step-up in quality. We don't need to change a great deal.

Last time we went up, in Micky Adams' last full season of management and with Smurthwaite running the club, we finished 9th. We made a few signings like Lines, Robertson, and Dicko, but the vast majority of starters were already at the club, like Yates, Duffy, Neal, JMW, Pope, Dodds, Griff, Loft.

All 4 promoted clubs stayed up last season, three very comfortably and Morecambe on a budget of about £20.

We had to literally sign non-league players from Scandinavia and France to go down last time, and that was by the skin of our teeth with two of the poorest managers in club history being led by the worst owner in club history. We seemed to be actively trying to get relegated, but if De Freitas had a tad more composure at Fleetwood we'd have stayed up.

We hammered Stanley, beat Burton, and took Rotherham to penalties last season.

There's one or two players I wouldn't be delighted to see start, but the likes of Pett won't have any issues. There will be 2/3 teams at the very top who are Championship level, but a lot of drudgery from 12th down. We're a club on the up with an excellent set-up, already far better run than the vast majority of clubs knocking about the recesses of the third tier.

Be sound. 5-6 bits of quality in and we'll be looking at steady mid-table at worst. The challenge was getting out of that tinpot affair. You Matrix had to rebuild an entire squad with about three months prep last summer; it's had 12 months to get ready for this, and far less work is needed.

Some really good posts here from Joe and I’ve missed these types of posts.

That’s not dig either mate, as I can completely appreciate why the frustration began to set in when it looked like we were about to throw a fabulous promotion chance away. 

I’m still very much on a high and I’m reluctant at present to suggest where I feel slight improvements are needed - as I want us and the team to be able to enjoy this a little while longer. 

however, priorities for me is Gibbo and Smith signing new contracts. Smith showed in the last few games why he should always have stayed at CB rather trying to make him play the RCB role. 

a few tweaks but I don’t want the squad balance and relationship completely ripped up, I’m happy to just keep adding small tweaks to ensure we continue to progress

• Like 5

Advert:

Posted (edited)

It really is a game of opinions. 

Of our midfield, in order of ability to cope with League 1, I'd say it's:

Conlon > Walker> Taylor > Garrity > Pett >Charsley

The first three could get into quite a few decent teams in my opinion. But we do need to strengthen. We need a better version of Charsley and maybe a more obvious DM as back up to Walker. I've had plenty of digs at Pett, because he frustrates me but he was great in the last few game - he just strikes me as a player who has found his level. Gives the ball away a lot without being able to hurt the opposition enough. Harsh maybe, but my feeling.

The ones I can see us moving on are: Charsley, Martin, Hurst (who I like), Amoo, Lucas (I'd keep him) and Hussey.

Edited by johnjeffersfanclub
typo

Advert:

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Is there not an extension as we made the playoff final?

That is the extension.

4 days after the final match for teams in the play offs.

We definitely need more pace generally. It might be the difference in tighter games against better defences. I'd say we could do with a midfield enforcer in the Coutts mould, another forward thinking midfielder with a bit of pace , a decent ball playing centre half. At least 2 more strikers (perhaps a little and large combo) and maybe a younger, faster wing back.

Unfortunately, we can't stand still and although I don't think the management will want to rip the team apart again I think people will be surprised at who moves on. Some lads who have done brilliantly in league 2 may not be able to cut it in league 1. As Clarke and Flitcroft have said before, we have been too sentimental in the past and kept players who were probably past their best or not up to the step up in level. I trust them to make the best decisions for the club and I think we'll have a half decent budget to do alright.

Your Sheffield Wednesdays and Derbys will probably bring in some big names but as we have seen, this doesn't always work. Our management team has a plan of how it wants to play and brings in the right players to execute it...not just any player who has at one time been good.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, SFBT said:

That is the extension.

4 days after the final match for teams in the play offs.

Good grief, some players will still be on the session. 

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

Posted (edited)
D3D4FOOTBALL.COM

Link which tracks the released players and signings in Leagues 1 and 2. Haven't updated it so we're in League 1 yet.

We may need to keep track of Championship retained lists, and we no longer need to look at Stevenage's and question if they'd 'do a job'.

Immediate thoughts:

• George Miller released by Barnsley. Did well at Walsall. Has scored at League 1 level before. A good age and a quick player.
  • Jon Nolan has been excellent in League 1 before, but fallen apart since Ipswich move.
  • Bostwick released by Burton.
  • Callum Camps left Fleetwood.
  • Tom Carroll + Myles Kenlock left Ipswich
  • John Marquis released by Ipswich. Used to be a goal machine in League 1, not worked since Portsmouth.
  • Hiram Boateng released by MK
  • Chey Dunkley released by Weds
  • Ebanks-Landell released by Shrews

I'd really like Boateng, Marquis, and Ebanks-Landell

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

Apologise for going off track. 

But I'm confused as to why Ipswich seem the consensus with bookies to be favourites. 

Yes big big club but didn't trouble the play offs.

I'd of thought Sheff Wed Derby Posh and Barnsley were all above them on the pecking order.

I'm not suggesting they won't do well but to be outright favourites seems strange to me. 

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:
D3D4FOOTBALL.COM

Link which tracks the released players and signings in Leagues 1 and 2. Haven't updated it so we're in League 1 yet.

We may need to keep track of Championship retained lists, and we no longer need to look at Stevenage's and question if they'd 'do a job'.

Immediate thoughts:

• George Miller released by Barnsley. Did well at Walsall. Has scored at League 1 level before. A good age and a quick player.
  • Jon Nolan has been excellent in League 1 before, but fallen apart since Ipswich move.
  • Bostwick released by Burton.
  • Callum Camps left Fleetwood.
  • Tom Carroll + Myles Kenlock left Ipswich
  • John Marquis released by Ipswich. Used to be a goal machine in League 1, not worked since Portsmouth.
  • Hiram Boateng released by MK
  • Chey Dunkley released by Weds
  • Ebanks-Landell released by Shrews
  •  

Bostwick gone Stevenage Joe. 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

Apologise for going off track. 
But I'm confused as to why Ipswich seem the consensus with bookies to be favourites. 
Yes big big club but didn't trouble the play offs.
I'd of thought Sheff Wed Derby Posh and Barnsley were all above them on the pecking order.
I'm not suggesting they won't do well but to be outright favourites seems strange to me. 
Typical lazy odds at this stage. Always are

3 minutes ago, Fozza19 said:

Pretty sure Nathan Smith will be playing League Two football again when the season starts.

Port in the name? Yes. Port Vale? No.

Come on then spill the beans. You've heard Stockport in for him ?