onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

I think that's the balance @Rocky - a small squad brings togetherness but can be stretched. A larger squad runs the risk of players being "out in the cold". 

However, I do think we have to consider how many of the squad, even including the likes of Wozza etc, should be guaranteed starters in L1. That's not about just his quality either - he was clearly playing through injury and wasn't as effective at times.  I think in a higher division you need to have a quality alternative to bring in to allow Wozza, Proctor, Wilson etc time to recover and not have to play through injuries.

I don't think we can just go into it with pretty much the L2 squad we have now, good as it is, and presume that's enough.

We'll have to strengthen and bring the best players we can in. Whether those better players want to join us and we can meet their financial demands will, I think, determine which areas of the squad we upgrade

3 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I think it will be brutal.... we are really short of athletes in the team... clearing of the decks will be required to allow us to bring in what's necessary.... there aren't many league 1 players in our team.

I suppose for the players under contract who DC doesn't want we could transfer list them... We need strengthening all over so need to make room for the new players.

A defensive 3 of smith, Hall even when reinforced with Gibbons will be short on pace, midfielders Conlon, Taylor, Pett and Walker are not good enough athletes (all good footballers mind) but will be out run in league 1 if all played in the same team. They also lack a  physical presence.

We only have 1 striker in Wilson who may be good for 10 goals in League 1 (I expect Procter to be dumped) so we need 3 forwards (of course 1 could be Harratt or Edmundson).. a lot of work to do for me to even get to mid table.

First thing is to sign the best goalkeeper we can afford.

Fortunately we have the right owners / management to make the required changes happen.

I'd agree with a lot of that - apart from Proctor. He's only 30 and been a regular at League One. That's not to say he should be a certain starter but I think he'd be an excellent player to have in the squad - either starting or on the bench. Wilson has had a great end to the season but the whole campaign has not been without his injury issues, so we need to have a pool of quality strikers to pick from. For me, I'd welcome Wilson, Proctor, another experienced striker and then a promising youngster such as Harratt (on loan if needs be) as our forward options.

DC is on holiday this week with his phone off.

Would the players have known before Wembley? Or are they in with AC at some point this week? Awkward timing with the play offs going on for so long. The last day of the season was over 3 weeks ago!

DC is on holiday this week with his phone off.
Would the players have known before Wembley? Or are they in with AC at some point this week? Awkward timing with the play offs going on for so long. The last day of the season was over 3 weeks ago!

Flintcroft is working on it all. He is DoF so he is head of player recruitment.

5 minutes ago, robf said:

I think that's the balance @Rocky - a small squad brings togetherness but can be stretched. A larger squad runs the risk of players being "out in the cold". 

However, I do think we have to consider how many of the squad, even including the likes of Wozza etc, should be guaranteed starters in L1. That's not about just his quality either - he was clearly playing through injury and wasn't as effective at times.  I think in a higher division you need to have a quality alternative to bring in to allow Wozza, Proctor, Wilson etc time to recover and not have to play through injuries.

I don't think we can just go into it with pretty much the L2 squad we have now, good as it is, and presume that's enough.

Agree with all that. What makes it harder with Worrall is he stepped up at Wembley and he ended the season on a massive high with his crosses, a reminder to the manager that he is more than capable of fulfilling that role and creates a headache for Clarke whether he thinks he can do it a league higher.

As much as I think he has improved defensively in that position, he always plays better further up the pitch, my concern is that we need someone more dynamic. The increase in pace in League 1 offset against our lack of it this season, especially at the back might be where we will come undone if we don't plug those holes. 

On a sidetone I'm so happy for Benning. When he arrived last summer, there was talk he turned down League 1 team(s) to come to Vale, took a leap of faith, didn't have the best start to his time in Burslem but the last couple of months he stepped up and maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but he looks in a lot better shape now than he did earlier in the season.

What does excite me is the possibility of who we can attract now in comparison to last summer. Our recruitment has proven to be solid overall on what must have been a challenge selling the prospects to certain players. I remember Garrity saying that as part of the presentation they did for him, they highlighted what he was good at but also where they could improve him. Players will hear about this before they've even spoken to anyone at the club and we're also not afraid of paying a fee if we have to. Should be an exciting summer ahead.

Reading comments on here about players not good enough for L2…a little reminder this group of players won 2 games against L1 opponents in the FACUP. Most of the current 1st choice eleven and some squad players have proven to be GOOD enough for L1 but we are a team desperately lacking pace. I’m sure this will be addressed.

I do think some of the current group will be better players in L1 but in my view there will be a couple fan favourites in the squad who will be moved on and/or not renewed. 

One things for sure I have complete trust in Flickers and DC to get it right. The recruitment track record last summer and January is there for all to see. The strike rate of signings were unbelievable. 

No doubt we have a file on that Ladapo from now promoted Rotherham, 11 in 31 last season and released in June, but not sure he fits the matrix. Not particuarly great comments from Argyle fans on social media either. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTs6uxpWIAA0bGw?format=jpg

1 hour ago, robf said:

We'll have to strengthen and bring the best players we can in. Whether those better players want to join us and we can meet their financial demands will, I think, determine which areas of the squad we upgrade

I'd agree with a lot of that - apart from Proctor. He's only 30 and been a regular at League One. That's not to say he should be a certain starter but I think he'd be an excellent player to have in the squad - either starting or on the bench. Wilson has had a great end to the season but the whole campaign has not been without his injury issues, so we need to have a pool of quality strikers to pick from. For me, I'd welcome Wilson, Proctor, another experienced striker and then a promising youngster such as Harratt (on loan if needs be) as our forward options.

Proctor is a smooth operator and knows what hes doing. Unfortunately his injury record isnt good and will only get worse as he gets older.... I think hes done his knee ligaments in the past as well as these stomach problems hes having currently. Compounding that is  Wilson whos knee is still a bit suspect, I think he will be moved on. 3 new strikers required for me to supplement Wilson.

Going to be brutal but compelling at the same time I think !!

Archived