• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

10 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Pretty bloated list of players under contract. Be interesting to see if there's any pay ups (Lucas springs to mind).

Don't think you can describe a list of 14 as 'bloated'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

I still think we have quite a good squad just need a bit more pace and a couple of fresh faces plus a goalkeeper! Sorry but Cov will have to go. Maybe seen the last of Amoo .

• Like 1

Don't think you can describe a list of 14 as 'bloated'.

I meant more bloated with players who i wouldn't be 100% on keeping. I wonder if Lucas, Taylor, Hurst, Martin, Hussey and Robinson would survive the cut if they were out of contract

I'd keep Martin, Taylor, Robinson and Hussey, and don't think we need to make wholesale changes again. It's worth remembering that, as poor as the last 3 results have been, we also dropped 9 points in the first 4 games as we were still trying to gel as a team.

Advert:

I'd keep Martin, Taylor, Robinson and Hussey, and don't think we need to make wholesale changes again. It's worth remembering that, as poor as the last 3 results have been, we also dropped 9 points in the first 4 games as we were still trying to gel as a team.
These players have been here for a minimum of 5 months, how much more gelling do they need. For what it's worth, I wouldn't get rid yet either, but if they were out of contract it would be interesting to see what we did with them.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

Pretty bloated list of players under contract. Be interesting to see if there's any pay ups (Lucas springs to mind).

Proctor is an absolute must, hopefully weve got an option in his deal. Depending on wages, I'd try and keep Benning too. Have a feeling Smith and Gibbo will go, otherwise why would we not have tried to renew mid season. I imagine they are waiting to see what league we are in next year.

Are you saying we didn’t offer them a new contract because they want to see what league we’re in? We would normally be talking to players we want to keep long before the end of the season. 

Maybe the situation with the manager was the issue for not offering deals yet? 

Are you saying we didn’t offer them a new contract because they want to see what league we’re in? We would normally be talking to players we want to keep long before the end of the season. 
Maybe the situation with the manager was the issue for not offering deals yet? 

No I'm saying we probably have tried to offer them a contact, but they are looking up the leagues

1 minute ago, Walka003 said:

These players have been here for a minimum of 5 months, how much more gelling do they need. For what it's worth, I wouldn't get rid yet either, but if they were out of contract it would be interesting to see what we did with them.

I'm not saying they need longer to gel, I'm saying if we make big changes to the squad again it might take a while (and dropped points) for the replacements to come together as a team.

• Like 1

Just now, Walka003 said:

No I'm saying we probably have tried to offer them a contact, but they are looking up the leagues

I’ve heard from people close to those 2 in particular that we haven’t offered any new deals to them yet. I had no reason not to doubt them, but who knows. 

Advert:

I'm not saying they need longer to gel, I'm saying if we make big changes to the squad again it might take a while (and dropped points) for the replacements to come together as a team.
I don't think it would be wholesale changes though. If we can keep Gibbo, proctor and smith my starting XI would be

New GK
Benning
Hall
Smith
New CB (an actual Cass replacement)
Gibbo
Walker
Conlon
Garrity/Charsley
Wilson
Proctor

Bench - Stone, Martin, Hussey/new WB, Garrity/Charsley, new striker

2 new starting 11 players isn't the end of the world.
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, robf said:

Yep, Cass would be a great addition. Provides competition both for the back three and right wingback.

I would imagine a new number one goalie may well be near the top of the list too.

There's a number of key players out of contract soon too - Proctor, Smith and Worrall for instance.

This will be controversial Rob but i wouldn't be shocked to see Worrall leave,Amoo will certainly be let go imo

• Like 1

I’ve heard from people close to those 2 in particular that we haven’t offered any new deals to them yet. I had no reason not to doubt them, but who knows. 
Fair enough, I'm only guessing myself as i can't imagine DF hasn't started talks with the both of them.

Maybe Gibbos injuries and Smith lack of ball playing don't stack up from a wage demand point of view. It would be a massive call from the recruitment team.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I don't think it would be wholesale changes though. If we can keep Gibbo, proctor and smith my starting XI would be

New GK
Benning
Hall
Smith
New CB (an actual Cass replacement)
Gibbo
Walker
Conlon
Garrity/Charsley
Wilson
Proctor

Bench - Stone, Martin, Hussey/new WB, Garrity/Charsley, new striker

2 new starting 11 players isn't the end of the world.

Don't think 3 of that defence will be here in August.

21 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Fair enough, I'm only guessing myself as i can't imagine DF hasn't started talks with the both of them.

Maybe Gibbos injuries and Smith lack of ball playing don't stack up from a wage demand point of view. It would be a massive call from the recruitment team.

Personally I’d be signing them up if I could.  I get what you mean about gibbo but that last ankle injury was a freak one, much like the Cass injury. 

Advert:

I know Gibbo has had a bit of bad luck but he needs to prove his fitness over a season FGR had 12 players on 30+ games Exeter not far behind compared to our 5 says it all really.

2 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Really wouldn't look to keep Hussey...aged plodder.

• Haha 1

A very very hard summer. I honestly don’t know what to do as most players at times have looked really good. The likes of Benning, Hussey and Martin have put in truly dire performances as well as some very decent ones. 

At our best, we looked irresistible but recently nothing has really clicked. 

I feel it may be a case the team has not gelled due to the injuries and too many changes. So maybe major change would do more harm than good. 

Then again I thought that after Askey got us near the P-offs 2 seasons back and we got a relegation battle. 

Or maybe the team wake up, beat Exeter and it triggers a run of great form again? Who knows?

It has been a really inconsistent season. 

• robf changed the title to Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc