onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Regarding strikers, I mention this a lot as some people still don't seem to get it - just because someone has scored goals elsewhere doesn't mean they would score goals with us, and vice versa.
Looking at the top five L1 goalscorers last season, and their record before shows this:
  • Will Keane - 26 goals last season - 6 in 34 for Ipswich in L1 previously
  • Ross Stewart - 24 goals last season - 15 in 63 for Ross County in the Scottish Prem previously
  • Alfie May - 23 goals last season - 10 in 92 for Doncaster in L1 previously
  • Cole Stockton - 23 goals last season - 1 in 16 for Tranmere in L2 previously (never hit double figures at any club before Morecambe)
  • Scott Twine - 20 goals last season - 8 in 50 at Swindon over L1/L2 previously.
None of those were 'prolific' before joining their current club. You could argue Stewart and Twine showed potential as younger players maybe.
It's about finding players that suit a system and style of play, which I'm sure we're looking at. Wilson and Proctor had their best ever scoring seasons with us last season for example.
'Names' like Norwood etc don't interest me, and I trust this recruitment setup as to whoever comes in.

Love the insight this posts gives, doesn’t matter how many a player has scored beforehand, it’s what they do next that matters the most, all of those have never been prolific beforehand

Who needs unproven L1 Telford

Advert

Depending on what promotion bonuses our players received our wage buget could already be quite high. You may find that an average league 2 wage with say a 25% increase (for promotion) is higher than an average league 1 wage. I'm sure some eager beaver will accept the challenge to do the research.

5 hours ago, 1 said:

Not in a judgemental or <ovf censored> talking way, but how many teams in L1 are likely to have a lower budget than Vale? I’d say 2 or 3, obviously I hope it’s more and we’ll never really know.

We are going to have to spin some gold and get some cracking additions into the squad to compete comfortably.

What? There’ll be a lot more than 2 or 3. 

33 minutes ago, Doha said:

What? There’ll be a lot more than 2 or 3. 

According to the betting on League 1 I just looked at we are likely to finish 18th. But above Forest Green who have been cannibalised this close season so far. 

7 minutes ago, Warren said:

According to the betting on League 1 I just looked at we are likely to finish 18th. But above Forest Green who have been cannibalised this close season so far. 

The bookies wrote us off at the start of last season as well. We'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

The bookies wrote us off at the start of last season as well. We'll see. 

I think we need a bit more than we have got in the remaining transfer window. But I also think the squad being together a season is very helpful and that some of our players have considerable scope to improve. If we stay injury free I don't see why we can't finish say 8 - 14. 

We may have a smaller budget than many, but we need to recruit fewer players than most, the majority of our squad having already been together for a while. Some of those teams who've been lingering around in League 1 may have had Lge 1 income for years - but they've also been paying Lge 1 wages and transfers, so they may not carry a residue forward to the next season? 

On 25/06/2022 at 23:56, valiant_593 said:

Had the same last season and I had a few months away from ovf because of it. 

Valiant 593

Sometimes i agree with you sometimes i don't. What i will say is that you have the right to air your opinions so don't take it personally when someone disagrees with you. You don't get abusive to other posters which i respect. Everyone has aright to express their views. UTV

Archived