• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

3 hours ago, LancyTony said:

The way he played at Wembley is how he should be playing on our big pitch - not too different from Wembley's!

If he got the room he got at Wembley every week we'd score 300 goals a season.

Advert:

14 hours ago, Valiant in Brum said:
21 hours ago, MBE said:
Last seasons gone. What's done is done. New season, new league, new squad. All players start with a clean slate in pre season and have to prove themselves.They need to fit in with whatever style of play DC sees fit for L1 meaning there's bound to be a bit more movement.Players can't live in past glory, thats how you get relegated.

We spent a long time doing this with the 90s players and it cost us alot.

I wouldn’t swap the 90’s for any other decade in Vale’s history. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Agreed our midfield now appears to be well stocked, we all saw last season how injuries seriously depleted us in that area of the pitch. Also we have a good blend of flair and grit . With increased subs this season I'm sure rotation will be key. However with the return of the 2 young loan lads upfront and Amoo leaving it's uptop where we look lightweight numbers wise.. I'm sure this is where we will see our next signings and they could be key ones, expecting and need at least a couple.

I think we will sign 3 forwards/strikers as DC wont want to be left struggling if 3 get knocks or all forwards like last season

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, smithie said:

If he got the room he got at Wembley every week we'd score 300 goals a season.

The point being - the Wembley pitch isn't m uch different to the Vale Park one...so no reason we shouldn't try to play that expansively?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advert:

2 hours ago, Portvalepete said:

Not really as if stone got injured that would leave us with one keeper so makes sense to add in that department not get rid.

Clubs unless higher up rarely have 3 experienced keepers(classing Stone in that as he is current number one),it's usually 2 then they will use youth team player or emergency loan if needed,so i would say Covolans days would be numbered in fact being honest here i think his days were numbered with DC after his 3rd sending off

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

The point being - the Wembley pitch isn't m uch different to the Vale Park one...so no reason we shouldn't try to play that expansively?

Won’t play a side that set up like Mansfield did every week and fail to change their system 

Advert:

2 minutes ago, geoff1 said:

1950s?:drink:

Fair response and I did consider them but no, despite the FA cup heroics of ‘54, I’m still saying 90’s. Just mindful we may be going off topic slightly.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Every year, round about this time, I wonder if this will be the year that we widen the pitch. It could be something that really could work in our favour and it would be difficult for opponents to adjust to and play their normal game. It seems like common sense. If we went as far as not watering it before the Swindon game, imagine the upset it would cause if we widened it? We have to make the playing aspect of visiting Vale park as uncomfortable as we possibly can for our opponents. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smithie said:

My point was, he'll never again be allowed as much room as Mansfield gave him. If that was us defending we'd be wondering what the hell we were playing at! Nevertheless his crosses for the second and third goal were pinpoint. I know this because I've watched them again 473 times. 

Me too! But when we play teams with small pitches they must be used to playing a more compact shape - those we should get some joy against!

Advert:

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I always thought Wembley lacked a bit of something.  Clay, not enough suction 🙄

Edited by Guitar Ray
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Askey doing Askey things

Pretends to be shocked.

Seriously all the best to them. We’re about to see how Vale might have gotten along in the Conference if had stuck with Askey and he’d taken us down.